U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2007, 10:28 AM

17 posts, read 92,944 times

Advertisements

I am moving from Florida to Greenville, SC. I have two questions: is there a city tax in Greenville (I think there is in Columbia)?

and... i haven't had a state tax in years.... is the fact of having to pay state taxes something that will impact my finances in a major way? I mean.. i know greenville is cheaper than florida, but given all the same factors (same salary in greenville than in florida), would the state tax eat too much of my income in SC? (my salary is 95k)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2007, 09:38 PM

50 posts, read 215,511 times
state income tax
personal property tax
county taxes
city taxes
high sales tax

shall I go on? Greenville County gov't can waste money with the best of them.

Old 11-06-2007, 01:48 AM

14,267 posts, read 17,393,137 times
This doesn't answer your question, but I want to make a comment because, before moving to FL, I lived in NH for several years. (no sales or state income tax) It took a long time for me to remember to give a cashier an extra 6 cts per item at the dollar store! lol

I don't make anything close to your income, but I imagine that a state & city tax will have quite an impact on a nearly 6 figure salary. I suppose you've got to make a list of pros and cons and decide what is best for you. If your housing costs are lower, it will be a big plus. I live in Lee County, FL and the property taxes and insurance premiums in most of the areas around Greenville are considerably lower. I don't live there, but I've done a lot of research.

Old 11-06-2007, 07:42 AM

548 posts, read 1,877,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss1234 View Post
I am moving from Florida to Greenville, SC. I have two questions: is there a city tax in Greenville (I think there is in Columbia)?

and... i haven't had a state tax in years.... is the fact of having to pay state taxes something that will impact my finances in a major way? I mean.. i know greenville is cheaper than florida, but given all the same factors (same salary in greenville than in florida), would the state tax eat too much of my income in SC? (my salary is 95k)
I don't know of any taxes on income in the city other than the state income tax which is 7% on adjusted income but if you live in the city you pay an additional city tax on property for services. Sales tax is 6%, property taxes vary but are expected to go down when school tax is removed (it was put into sales tax which went from 5% to 6%). As of Nov. 1 there is no longer a sales tax on food.

Currently in the Greenville area tax on a $235,000 home in about $1800. This is expected to go down probably to $900 or $1000. Will see next year what happens. Car tax on a 2005 Honda last year was $314 and on a 2004 Toyota was $243 to give you an idea. These too should go down substantially next year when school tax is removed.

Your insurance on a home will be cheaper I am sure. The insurance on the 05 Honda is slightly less than $700 for the year. Insurance on a $200,000 home is $850 a year (which I think might be high or we're sharing some of the loss as it was $750 last year)

Hope this information helps.

Old 11-06-2007, 10:02 AM

17 posts, read 92,944 times
Default ok....

so is there city tax in greenville or not? Thanks so much for your replies. they do offer a lot of insight

Old 11-06-2007, 10:35 AM

548 posts, read 1,877,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss1234 View Post
so is there city tax in greenville or not? Thanks so much for your replies. they do offer a lot of insight
As I said, no, not for salary. There is an added tax if you own property to cover things like trash collection. Outside the city you pay for your own trash pickup and other services that a city would provide. These taxes also apply if you live in Greer city limits or Mauldin city limits.

Old 11-15-2007, 08:43 PM

6,547 posts, read 20,840,545 times
Greenville County property taxes are posted online as of today. If you need the link, DM me.

Old 01-19-2010, 08:52 AM

2 posts, read 13,605 times
I am a full-time Realtor who is also a lifetime resident of Greenville, SC. I would love to help with all the information necessary on the upstate and taxes. If you have not yet gotten a satisfactory reply, please contact me.

Old 01-19-2010, 09:42 AM

3,627 posts, read 13,773,373 times
Uhhhh this is a 2 year old plus thread..............
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area