U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 10:29 AM

4 posts, read 5,314 times

Advertisements

Hi!

My wife and friend and I are moving July 7th. We were looking for ISP's, as we use the Internet for a lot, my wife will be having medical school classes, my friend will be using Hulu, and we all use Netflix (plus I play a few online games and such).

I called AT&T with the Uverse package, and it offered 12mbps connection, which is great, considering I have 3mbps now. But after I agreed and he got me an order number to come set it up the day after we move, I listened to the disclaimer and it said 250GB per month bandwidth limit.

Don't think that's going to fly.

What ISP's in the area offer unlimited Internet service, and what is the pricing associated with it? The Uverse was $40 for the first year per month and $55 after that per month. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

This is the Spartanburg area, by the way. Thank you!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2013, 10:33 AM

183 posts, read 282,411 times
What you downloading that uses more than 250gb per month? That limit only exists to stop people from running business servers at home without paying for a business package. Hulu and Netflix won't go through that much.

Old 06-12-2013, 10:35 AM

I would check with Charter but......buyer beware when dealing with those guys.

Old 06-12-2013, 10:36 AM

4 posts, read 5,314 times
How Much Bandwidth Does Netflix Streaming Use? Good Questions | Apartment Therapy.

It states one Netflix movie uses 500-700MB of data. I'm concerned about going over the cap and getting shut off.

EDIT: Yeah, I haven't heard the best things from Charter.

Old 06-12-2013, 10:46 AM

5,235 posts, read 8,340,222 times
"Up to" 60mbps on Charter for $29.99/month.

We actually get about 40mbps when tested. We have no cable, and use internet for Hulu, AppleTV, etc. most evenings. The picture looks awesome in HD on about a 55" screen.

Easy, quick setup. I've never had to contact them again since the setup because we've never had a problem.

Old 06-12-2013, 11:23 AM

939 posts, read 2,484,063 times
All I can add is be careful getting U-verse in Spartanburg. We had it for a few months, and speeds were much lower than advertised, and what we were paying for. And we were then told by an AT&T tech that we had come out to look at it was that we never should have been sold that speed, as there was no possible way we'd get that based on our location and distance to their nearest "node". We've had Charter since we got rid of U-verse, and the speed is better, but their techs leave a lot to be desired, based on our latest dealings with them when we tried to add their cable TV service to our setup.

Old 06-12-2013, 12:14 PM

5 posts, read 19,204 times
I've had a Charter Business account for almost 2 years now with no major issues. There's no bandwidth cap, no contract and the one time I had a tech support issue, I got a native English speaker on the phone within 5 minutes and the problem was resolved in 10. No complaints about the install, either. It's about as close as you can get to a "dumb" pipe, and for $65/month not bad price-wise compared to the other options.

Old 06-12-2013, 12:35 PM

3,864 posts, read 6,188,389 times
Charter is the best and most consistent speed around down here, even though their prices have gone up and their customer support has generally been terrible.

Old 06-12-2013, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourschecorp View Post
How Much Bandwidth Does Netflix Streaming Use? Good Questions | Apartment Therapy.

It states one Netflix movie uses 500-700MB of data. I'm concerned about going over the cap and getting shut off.

EDIT: Yeah, I haven't heard the best things from Charter.
That's like 500 movies in one month.

Old 06-12-2013, 01:05 PM

3,549 posts, read 6,236,143 times
We've had both U-Verse and Charter, and don't have cable TV.

We rely on Netflix, Hulu Plus, Amazon, etc for the bulk of our TV. There are four of us, all with computers, tablets, phones, etc. We have 3 Roku and an HTPC all using these services.

We also do a lot of gaming, and I run my business from the house (moving a lot of data to and from servers all day, and remote controlling client machines around the country). We even have a multi-line VOIP phone system.

We've never gotten a warning from either company on bandwidth usage.

We had a good connection from AT&T (we actually got the advertised 20 Mbps down), but were paying $70 per month after our promos ran out. With Charter we get 40+ Mbps routinely, and only pay $30.

We did have some problems with Charter over the first month. Our modem would routinely drop the connection at about 5:30 each evening. It took them a few weeks to get it all done, but they buried a new cable from the street, rewired the outside of the house, and eventually had a guy in a bucket track the problem further up the wire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>