Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2013, 08:50 AM

8 posts, read 7,817 times

Advertisements

My family likely is going to be moving to Greenville, from Maryland, at the end of the summer. We have 3 small children (8, 6 & 4). We were pretty set on finding a house in the Oakview District, but now, as we hear more about Monarch, we are intrigued by it as well. Just from internet research, we really like Spaulding Farms - the houses are lovely and we like the community pool and club house aspect. We want a 4 bedroom home with a large flat yard for the kids to play lacrosse and soccer in. So, couple questions. First, how do people like Monarch, and how does it compare to Oakview? Second, are there any communities similar to Spaulding Farm that are districted for Monarch? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2013, 03:52 PM

266 posts, read 1,025,712 times
Default We go to Monarch

We attend Monarch Elementary and have been happy. It was its first year open so there were a few bumps in the road. It is a project based school, so they don't have the traditional classes, they are in blocks. My children did a majority of their lessons hands on and in groups, which between that and the projects takes some adjusting to. So some of your child's grades will be group based.

I will say the related arts teachers are wonderful and fun!

Some non important but neat things are they have rocking chairs and high tables for kids, grades 4 & 5 get their own ipad for the year and I believe they will be extending that to the lower grades.

The school gets kids thinking outside the box and does some pretty fantastic things. I believe it is the 1st STEM school in SC. They are now opening a similar middle school this year called a STEAM school.

Most schools in the area have gone to a healthy lunch menu, which can be pretty strict at times.

Oakview is a great school too and considered one of the top schools (if not the top) in the area. They have more traditional teaching method with a set curriculum, textbooks, homework, etc.

I don't think you can go wrong with either choice. Good luck!

Old 06-16-2013, 05:57 PM

166 posts, read 190,113 times
Do kids in Greenville play lacrosse now?

Old 06-17-2013, 07:31 AM

8 posts, read 7,817 times
Thanks so much FLmomof2. The information re Monarch is very helpful!!

DrTesla35 - I found a couple lacrosse clubs in the area. Greenville Gladiators runs a rec program, which, apparently has grown exponentially the past couple years. Travel seems to start a bit older. Fingers crossed it continues to grow as my boys LOVE it!

Old 06-17-2013, 08:23 AM

166 posts, read 190,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lacemc View Post
Thanks so much FLmomof2. The information re Monarch is very helpful!!

DrTesla35 - I found a couple lacrosse clubs in the area. Greenville Gladiators runs a rec program, which, apparently has grown exponentially the past couple years. Travel seems to start a bit older. Fingers crossed it continues to grow as my boys LOVE it!
That's cool. I'd like to see the schools offer lacrosse because so many of them want to play soccer that many of them get cut b/c there is not enough spots for all of them and I think lacrosse would be a good alternative sport for those kids. I had a friend in high school who was the leading goal scorer on the JV squad who didn't make the varsity squad due to the coache's just picking their favorite kids and he was depressed his last two years of high school b/c of it.

I lived in Frederick MD in 2009-2011 and I don't remember ever seeing any kids playing lacrosse up there. Maybe it's not popular in every city in Maryland.

Old 06-17-2013, 09:38 PM

271 posts, read 797,182 times
The high schools here offer Lacrosse teams.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area