Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2013, 07:36 AM

11 posts, read 17,989 times

Advertisements

I'm planning on taking the plunge soon. I am looking for recommendations on good, local jewelers to shop for engagement rings. I would prefer to avoid the mall chain jewelers like Kay's, Zales, etc. Since I live in Clemson, there aren't really very many options without heading into Greenville.

Does anyone have any experience with jewelers in the Greenville area that are reputable, affordable (by engagement ring standards), with a wide selection? Google searches turn up quite a few possibilities, but nothing with many reviews.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2013, 07:59 AM

170 posts, read 355,751 times
Hale's and Cochran's are the ones that have been around for the longest. Pace's too.

Old 05-13-2013, 10:04 AM

1,947 posts, read 2,756,471 times
Ask for Lucian Lee at Hale's.

Old 05-13-2013, 05:37 PM

121 posts, read 244,536 times
Definitely Hale's.

Old 05-13-2013, 05:39 PM

60 posts, read 95,207 times
Service Merchandise was a good place but they are gone.

Old 05-13-2013, 09:29 PM

807 posts, read 1,783,880 times
Wingard's in Easley will be a little closer than Greenville. Family owned & operated. Main St. In Easley.

Old 05-13-2013, 10:04 PM

423 posts, read 898,412 times
JB Lacher's downtown are very reputable and have better prices than Hale's. Also, the owner of Jewelry by Design at 627 Augusta St worked worked at Lacher's for years and can custom design any type of setting you'd like. Wherever you go, I'd recommend that you get input from your future fiancée regarding what type of gold and setting she prefers before buying a ring.

Old 05-14-2013, 07:42 AM

77 posts, read 110,455 times
I've bought several beautiful pieces from Jewelry by Kathy Young. Her shop is on the river walk downtown Greenville, 300 River St, suite 109, phone 266-9956. Her prices are very reasonable and she can custom design something for you as well. Her store is closed Sundays and Mondays. I agree, best to stay clear of the mall chain stores.

Old 05-15-2013, 05:25 AM

99 posts, read 213,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvlgal View Post
Wherever you go, I'd recommend that you get input from your future fiancée regarding what type of gold and setting she prefers before buying a ring.
This.

Some things should be a surprise. But the ring itself -- a piece of jewelry she is going to be wearing every single day from here on out -- isn't one of them.

Oh and that 'three months salary' concept isn't a rule of thumb -- it's a marketing gimmick. There are a few things worth going into debt for, and in my opinion a ring, even an engagement ring, isn't one of them. Find something she loves that you can either save up for or buy outright.

Old 05-15-2013, 05:51 AM

5,238 posts, read 8,788,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJGreer View Post
This.

Some things should be a surprise. But the ring itself -- a piece of jewelry she is going to be wearing every single day from here on out -- isn't one of them.
I agree that getting her input (or knowing her tastes) is important. But, I couldn't imagine going as far as shopping for the ring with my future fiancee (as I know some people have done).

I bought my wife's engagement ring completely without her knowledge, used ("vintage") from Luthie's (a pawn shop in Greenville with tons of jewelry and guns). I knew her ring size, and I know her tastes. So, there wasn't much risk in my opinion. Plus, I knew we could get a completely different wedding ring if we wanted to.

To me, keeping the "popping of the question" a surprise was worth whatever gamble there might be with buying a ring without her input. But then again, I know what she likes. And I know she likes vintage jewelry.

Shopping for an engagement ring together would have created a false feeling of expectation, imho. It would have taken some romance out of the moment, some of the utter joy and surprise out of what turned out to be such an incredible moment and memory. My wife was indeed surprised, and the expression on her face, and pure joy in her heart was SO MUCH BETTER than making sure she could pick out the ring, a ring that she absolutely loves, by the way.

To me, moments and memories are so much more precious than things. And my wife feels the same way. So my choice worked well for us. She would have been happy with a cracker jack ring - one of the many reasons why she is awesome.

Last edited by Art123; 05-15-2013 at 06:33 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area