U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2013, 03:32 PM

117 posts, read 134,009 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samoyed3 View Post
what housing is right on Wade Hampton? Mostly just strip malls and big box stores, bob jones, restaurants, etc. Most of it is never used by Greenville residents except those who live in Greer proper. I never said no lower middle class people live there, just COlumbia probably got bigger share, mostly b/c the state capital of any state seems to attract more of the mooches and freeloaders. LOL
And, your economic acumen tells you that people don't live right off of Wade Hampton and work in Greenville? You can look at a lot of facts/figures, to date, Jam is the only person on this board who has a coherent argument about average income between Columbia & Greenville. It is true that Columbia has a higher income, it is not by much, but factually true. It is also true that Richland County has a population that is more educated than Greenville.

But, to get back on point and out of the garbage comments posted by Gsupstate, both cities are places where folks could live happily. As I stated earlier before Gsupstate started the mindless garbage for the 10,000th time about Columbia, neither city will be confused with one like Charlotte. If you are looking for a mid sized city, 99.9% of the people could live happily in either place.

Again, not sure why this thread was started in a Greenville forum, seems like someone wanted to bait a fight, most likely a past Greenville supporter who moved away and now trashes the place. So, why would anyone listen to a poster like that?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2013, 05:53 PM

179 posts, read 302,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Well it's all subjective, but one might say the zoo, the museums, and college sports. And conversely some might say that retail, dining, and Main Street are better in Greenville. Different strokes for different folks.
We are 45 minutes from Clemson, and we have enough museums personally...

Old 07-03-2013, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyandy View Post
Drive down Wade Hampton, Poinsett, up hwy 101, hwy 25 and you will see that Greenville does indeed have a large share of lower middle class folks. State reps would show in the local salary figures.
Your mixing up North Greenville County from Greenville proper.

Old 07-03-2013, 06:05 PM

O and for the person who was complaining that Greenville's skyline is "government funded"...what are you saying?

The only one that would be gov funded in City Hall...duh.

And if your thinking all were built with the help of city's economic development dept. What city does not?

Old 07-03-2013, 06:06 PM

11,332 posts, read 22,556,543 times
Does this mean phase 3 of ONE is going to be announced soon?

AMC Policy Spot - Minions vs. Evil Minion - DESPICABLE ME 2 - YouTube

Old 07-03-2013, 09:16 PM

24 posts, read 42,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VolstuckinNC View Post
I've lived in both cities in the past and both are good places to live. There are good and bad areas around both. Both towns are different, but no 2 towns are the same.

I changed jobs a couple of years ago and had a job offer in Columbia and one in Greenville. Compensation was similar (more $$ in Columbia, better benefits in Greenville). In the end, I liked the job offered in Greenville a bit better, I have family in the area, and I think the overall quality of life is a bit better in Greenville. We chose Greenville.

Columbia is a bit hotter and more humid in the afternoon than Greenville. Those 3 or 4 degrees and 5% humidity don't sound like much but they are the difference between uncomfortable and intolerable to me. Greenville is also close enough to the mountains (under an hour) to make it an easy drive to escape the heat on the weekends. Escaping the heat in Columbia on the weekend is going to be a 3+ hour drive to the mountains or a 2+ hour drive to the beach.

I'm not saying Columbia isn't a great place - Greenville was just the pick of our family when we were faced with the choice.
Thanks for sharing the info
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area