U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 06-27-2013, 05:42 PM
 
Location: Pembroke Pines, Fl
24 posts, read 42,024 times
Reputation: 25

Advertisements

Well beach is not realy an issue, I live in Pembroke Pines which is 30 minutes from Hollywood beach and Fort lauderdale, and probably we go twice a year, we enjoy more the pool. We usually go to parks to bbq and the kids to have fun. Hobbies?? not really but I thinking of hunting, and biking with the boys. We want a house with good sq ft. big backyard, and nice views..As I say low deliquency. I don't know if I'm asking to much, it looks like a dream..my salary is about 65k, so I don't know if I can get that, here in Florida, is enough only for the basic, I would like to know a little bit about cost of living, before I post the transfer request. Thanks
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-27-2013, 05:53 PM
 
425 posts, read 563,673 times
Reputation: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master007 View Post
Well beach is not realy an issue, I live in Pembroke Pines which is 30 minutes from Hollywood beach and Fort lauderdale, and probably we go twice a year, we enjoy more the pool. We usually go to parks to bbq and the kids to have fun. Hobbies?? not really but I thinking of hunting, and biking with the boys. We want a house with good sq ft. big backyard, and nice views..As I say low deliquency. I don't know if I'm asking to much, it looks like a dream..my salary is about 65k, so I don't know if I can get that, here in Florida, is enough only for the basic, I would like to know a little bit about cost of living, before I post the transfer request. Thanks
Well, both Columbia and Greenville have relatively low cost of living. Fort Mill might be tad steeper b/c it is closer to Charlotte but not sure about that. You could check out zillow, just type in the town and scroll over the map and you will see houses for sale with price.

65K in SC is solid, you can live well on that, even if they drop it you should be ok.

I recommend looking at the area around the Publix on Pelham Road in Greenville, around one off The Parkway, the one on S. Pleasantburg, the one on Woodruff Road.

You could check out the area in Columbia around the Publix in Lexington, the Publix on Forest Drive in the Forest Acres area, and the one in Irmo, Lake Murray Blvd I think. Irmo in the Columbia area will probably be the cheapest place to live and it is a pretty nice area although traffic gets backed up around the mall especially during Christmas season.

You really can't go wrong with any of these 3 SC cities. Aiken SC is another one you should consider, I know they got a Publix or two there and it is probably nicest small town in SC across the board. Some real nice neighborhoods there.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2013, 06:00 PM
 
Location: Pembroke Pines, Fl
24 posts, read 42,024 times
Reputation: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemsonTiger45 View Post
Well, both Columbia and Greenville have relatively low cost of living. Fort Mill might be tad steeper b/c it is closer to Charlotte but not sure about that. You could check out zillow, just type in the town and scroll over the map and you will see houses for sale with price.

65K in SC is solid, you can live well on that, even if they drop it you should be ok.

I recommend looking at the area around the Publix on Pelham Road in Greenville, around one off The Parkway, the one on S. Pleasantburg, the one on Woodruff Road.

You could check out the area in Columbia around the Publix in Lexington, the Publix on Forest Drive in the Forest Acres area, and the one in Irmo, Lake Murray Blvd I think. Irmo in the Columbia area will probably be the cheapest place to live and it is a pretty nice area although traffic gets backed up around the mall especially during Christmas season.

You really can't go wrong with any of these 3 SC cities. Aiken SC is another one you should consider, I know they got a Publix or two there and it is probably nicest small town in SC across the board. Some real nice neighborhoods there.
Thanks ClemsonTiger45, very good information, I see you know a lot around the area, I will check those areas, but I think Greenville or Fort Mill are my best options, I will check a little bit about Columbia as well.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2013, 06:28 PM
 
Location: Carolina’s
1,330 posts, read 2,570,671 times
Reputation: 978
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master007 View Post
If there is any chance to relocate from Ft Lauderdale Fl, which should I choose Greenville or Columbia? for a family with 2 children ( 8 & 3).. good schools and nice neighborhoods. Or any other area around?
Both have good schools in the area and nice neighborhoods. Maybe you should be more specific in what exactly you are looking for.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2013, 07:35 PM
 
Location: Pembroke Pines, Fl
24 posts, read 42,024 times
Reputation: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofaque86 View Post
Both have good schools in the area and nice neighborhoods. Maybe you should be more specific in what exactly you are looking for.
About cost of living...utilities, housing...low delinquency..best place to raise children.. Thanks
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2013, 08:48 PM
 
99 posts, read 195,838 times
Reputation: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemsonTiger45 View Post
Weather isn't much different.

Um ... have you ever LIVED in Columbia? I moved there straight out of college; worked in the thick of Five Points and had an absolute blast. There is lots to love about Columbia, but holy hell it is hot/humid.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2013, 08:54 PM
 
425 posts, read 563,673 times
Reputation: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJGreer View Post
Um ... have you ever LIVED in Columbia? I moved there straight out of college; worked in the thick of Five Points and had an absolute blast. There is lots to love about Columbia, but holy hell it is hot/humid.
I live in Forest Acres right now. It is currently 4 degrees warmer in Columbia than Greenville. I bet during the day it was almsot exact same temp but everybody knows greenville cools off a bit more at night.

Both the cities are just as humid as well. They are only 100 miles apart so this idea their weather is significantly different is funny to me. Sometimes you guys act like Greenville is up in the mountains like Asheville.

Given this guy is coming from Florida, I don't think the heat is going to be a big issue for him.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2013, 08:55 PM
 
2,536 posts, read 8,704,884 times
Reputation: 1075
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master007 View Post
About cost of living...utilities, housing...low delinquency..best place to raise children.. Thanks

Hello Master007,

I happen to live in the Fort Mill area. If you are looking for more information on that area may I suggest you post your question on the SC side (under: York - Lancaster Counties)

If you are looking to compare the schools in SC (for example: Greenville vs. Fort Mill) you can start with the SC Dept of Education (Fort Mill will be under YORK04):

2012 State Report Card - South Carolina Department of Education

If you are looking to do a comparison on cost of living you can find several different sites on the internet (Example: Sperlings, CNN Money, etc.)

I personally think both are great areas.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2013, 08:57 PM
 
Location: Charleston, South Carolina
10,935 posts, read 15,605,544 times
Reputation: 2474
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master007 View Post
thanks guys.. We want something quiet and nice to raise our kids. The company that I work for is Publix, I'am a Bakery Manager and I have the chance to relocate either Columbia, Greenville, Or Fort Mill, close to Charlotte, since they are opening new stores. We want a quiet place, low delinquency, and grate schools for the kids...what about utilities?? and other expenses.... Thanks for your advice
If you choose Columbia ask to work in the store in the Vista. It is constantly lively with city dwellers walking in and out nonstop. Sometimes I sit in the parking lot while my partner shops and I am amazed at the energy. The downtown skyline is visible from the store.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2013, 09:01 PM
 
425 posts, read 563,673 times
Reputation: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
If you choose Columbia ask to work in the store in the Vista. It is constantly lively with city dwellers walking in and out nonstop. Sometimes I sit in the parking lot while my partner shops and I am amazed at the energy. The downtown skyline is visible from the store.
If he has a family it makes more sense for him to work at one of the ones out in the more suburban areas. What he is talking about, regarding having a house with a nice view in the back, sounds more like a Lexington man than a downtown man.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

¬© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top