U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-28-2013, 09:06 AM
 
411 posts, read 772,735 times
Reputation: 314

Advertisements

Columbia is a pit. And it is HOT. I don't care what other people may say. It's in the middle of the state, so you don't even get a breeze (unless you live near Lake Murray). There's a reason that it's called "Famously Hot" in all the adverts. I even lived in Atlanta and it's hotter in Columbia.

I lived there for nearly three years and hated every minute of it. I'm convinced that unless you went to college there, then it's just not a nice place. If you move there, don't live in the city proper. I'm about convinced that no one can live there without having a security system. Nice neighborhoods, middle neighborhoods, bad neighborhoods...it's all the same. I had two break-ins, one attempted break-in, and our A/C unit was torn apart for copper. Even with a security system. We're now foreclosing on our house because no one wants to buy it even though it's renovated. I'm very pro-police but their department is as messed up; they've been through half a dozen police chiefs in less than a decade, their morale (and attention to detail when investigating) is pathetic. The city council is corrupt and is only interested in their pet projects and not improving the place on the whole. They just don't get it.

I will say that Forest Acres is nicer and its own township but still close enough to the city to be convenient. I would say that it's a little safer; I had a friend who had a break-in while living there, but that could have been a one-off. The schools are probably better over that way as well. Most people worth their salt who don't want direct access to the city on a regular basis live in Lexington or Irmo. I don't blame them. Yes, there are a lot of people who love Columbia, but there is a lot of people who hate it too. It's a constant war on all of the SC forums. Yeah, you can get to the beach faster, but geez, it's only a three hour drive from Greenville to Charleston. Not worth living in Columbia for that, IMO.

With all that being said, I LOVE Greenville. It was such a relief to move here. While not extremely progressive, they are more progressive than some parts of the state. There are many great communities with great schools. I live in Greer and if you can get your kids districted to the Riverside High School district, they'll do well.

As for Fort Mill, it would probably would be similar to Greenville in C-O-L. The schools there are top notch though if you can get into the Northwestern High School district (which is actually in Rock Hill, adjacent to Fort Mill), your kids will be set. Everyone in the state considers all that SC area around Charlotte as NC though. Lol. I think it's because they are actually progressive. Rock Hill also has a very nice, excellent parks system too.

Best of luck with your decision.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-28-2013, 09:10 AM
 
233 posts, read 260,018 times
Reputation: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by furmanpals View Post
I have lived in both cities. I moved back home to Greenville from Columbia. That was a hot, dusty and awful place to live. Move to Greenville.
This is BS. Honestly, there are pros and cons of each city. I have lived in Greenville forever and spent a ton of time in Columbia. Greenville has a nice Main St and some nice intown neighborhoods. But, we also have a lot of rednecks in Greenville and some who think you are "blessed" to live here. For me, you could be happy in either place, it is not like you are comparing Greenville with a city like Charlotte.

I would visit, look at the job opportunities and look around at the entire area before making a decision.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2013, 09:19 AM
 
Location: Pembroke Pines, Fl
24 posts, read 42,009 times
Reputation: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhousejunkie View Post
Columbia is a pit. And it is HOT. I don't care what other people may say. It's in the middle of the state, so you don't even get a breeze (unless you live near Lake Murray). There's a reason that it's called "Famously Hot" in all the adverts. I even lived in Atlanta and it's hotter in Columbia.

I lived there for nearly three years and hated every minute of it. I'm convinced that unless you went to college there, then it's just not a nice place. If you move there, don't live in the city proper. I'm about convinced that no one can live there without having a security system. Nice neighborhoods, middle neighborhoods, bad neighborhoods...it's all the same. I had two break-ins, one attempted break-in, and our A/C unit was torn apart for copper. Even with a security system. We're now foreclosing on our house because no one wants to buy it even though it's renovated. I'm very pro-police but their department is as messed up; they've been through half a dozen police chiefs in less than a decade, their morale (and attention to detail when investigating) is pathetic. The city council is corrupt and is only interested in their pet projects and not improving the place on the whole. They just don't get it.

I will say that Forest Acres is nicer and its own township but still close enough to the city to be convenient. I would say that it's a little safer; I had a friend who had a break-in while living there, but that could have been a one-off. The schools are probably better over that way as well. Most people worth their salt who don't want direct access to the city on a regular basis live in Lexington or Irmo. I don't blame them. Yes, there are a lot of people who love Columbia, but there is a lot of people who hate it too. It's a constant war on all of the SC forums. Yeah, you can get to the beach faster, but geez, it's only a threur drive from Greenville to Charleston. Not worth living in Columbia for that, IMO.

With all that being said, I LOVE Greenville. It was such a relief to move here. While not extremely progressive, they are more progressive than some parts of the state. There are many great communities with great schools. I live in Greer and if you can get your kids districted to the Riverside High School district, they'll do well.

As for Fort Mill, it would probably would be similar to Greenville in C-O-L. The schools there are top notch though if you can get into the Northwestern High School district (which is actually in Rock Hill, adjacent to Fort Mill), your kids will be set. Everyone in the state considers all that SC area around Charlotte as NC though. Lol. I think it's because they are actually progressive. Rock Hill also has a very nice, excellent parks system too.

Best of luck with your decision.
Thanks...with everybody's info...I'm getting a better picture. .....I was in Ft Mill last year and I loved it.....I heard a lot about Greenville....I think is also a great place for the kids..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2013, 09:23 AM
 
233 posts, read 260,018 times
Reputation: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhousejunkie View Post
Columbia is a pit. And it is HOT. I don't care what other people may say. It's in the middle of the state, so you don't even get a breeze (unless you live near Lake Murray). There's a reason that it's called "Famously Hot" in all the adverts. I even lived in Atlanta and it's hotter in Columbia.

I lived there for nearly three years and hated every minute of it. I'm convinced that unless you went to college there, then it's just not a nice place. If you move there, don't live in the city proper. I'm about convinced that no one can live there without having a security system. Nice neighborhoods, middle neighborhoods, bad neighborhoods...it's all the same. I had two break-ins, one attempted break-in, and our A/C unit was torn apart for copper. Even with a security system. We're now foreclosing on our house because no one wants to buy it even though it's renovated. I'm very pro-police but their department is as messed up; they've been through half a dozen police chiefs in less than a decade, their morale (and attention to detail when investigating) is pathetic. The city council is corrupt and is only interested in their pet projects and not improving the place on the whole. They just don't get it.

I will say that Forest Acres is nicer and its own township but still close enough to the city to be convenient. I would say that it's a little safer; I had a friend who had a break-in while living there, but that could have been a one-off. The schools are probably better over that way as well. Most people worth their salt who don't want direct access to the city on a regular basis live in Lexington or Irmo. I don't blame them. Yes, there are a lot of people who love Columbia, but there is a lot of people who hate it too. It's a constant war on all of the SC forums. Yeah, you can get to the beach faster, but geez, it's only a three hour drive from Greenville to Charleston. Not worth living in Columbia for that, IMO.

With all that being said, I LOVE Greenville. It was such a relief to move here. While not extremely progressive, they are more progressive than some parts of the state. There are many great communities with great schools. I live in Greer and if you can get your kids districted to the Riverside High School district, they'll do well.

As for Fort Mill, it would probably would be similar to Greenville in C-O-L. The schools there are top notch though if you can get into the Northwestern High School district (which is actually in Rock Hill, adjacent to Fort Mill), your kids will be set. Everyone in the state considers all that SC area around Charlotte as NC though. Lol. I think it's because they are actually progressive. Rock Hill also has a very nice, excellent parks system too.

Best of luck with your decision.
First of all, Greer is and always has been redneck island. If you want a vinyl siding house next to a trailer park, Greer is your place.

Here are the main differences between the cities, crime is higher in metro Greenville, people are less educated in Greenville, income levels are lower in Greenville and yet because of the mill hill mentality, folks think they are "blessed" to live here. I have stayed due to family reasons but, this is not a mini Charlotte, it is a big Gaffney.

Greenville has a nice Main Street, a nice park, and will attract some Broadway shows. The locals take this to mean we are cosmopolitan. It is a shallow city without much depth. I would suggest looking at Columbia or Charlotte. A good example is that when a decent band plays at the Simpsonville Amplitheatre, you would think we won the Olympics. Mumford and Sons plays in a ton of small town venues, yet, locals take this as Greenville being big time. Based on the garbage comments you have seen, it is clear that people are playing to the home crowd.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2013, 10:02 AM
 
Location: Germany
15 posts, read 15,966 times
Reputation: 20
I have kids similar in age (8 and 4) and we have just moved to Simpsonville. I cannot compare with Columbia, never been there, but I love the Greenville area. And more importantly my kids do, too! There are always things to do, outside and inside. I like that the city is still small enough so you don't have to deal with big traffic issues and it is easy to learn the layout of it. But it is big enough to have a theatre (even though the actors are semi-amateurs :-)), an art museum, wonderful library and lots and lots of restaurants and bars. And because the area is booming, new things pop up everywhere (can't wait to go to "Dueling Pianos"!). Coming from Europe, I really enjoy the beautiful, walkable downtown and Falls park. The latter is always a big hit with the kids!

We found a neighborhood with lots of grown trees, a great pool and playground and beautiful, but affordable houses. It is very peaceful here and feels very safe, the kids can ride their bikes etc, but also, we are in 5 minutes at Fairview road for shopping or in 20 minutes in downtown Greenville.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2013, 10:22 AM
 
425 posts, read 563,528 times
Reputation: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vhammond View Post
This is BS. Honestly, there are pros and cons of each city. I have lived in Greenville forever and spent a ton of time in Columbia. Greenville has a nice Main St and some nice intown neighborhoods. But, we also have a lot of rednecks in Greenville and some who think you are "blessed" to live here. For me, you could be happy in either place, it is not like you are comparing Greenville with a city like Charlotte.

I would visit, look at the job opportunities and look around at the entire area before making a decision.
what is the big deal with Charlotte? I worked downtown there for 4 months in 2004, and it was fun b/c you could walk to eat at several places nearby the office. But I would never go downtown Charlotte if I lived there on the weekends or at night after work. It has much worse traffic and everything costs more there. Greenville and Columbia have most everything Charlotte does at this point. I think Greenville has a nicer downtown and park than Charlotte.

I do like the Davidson area up around the lake though. that is the thing greenville is lacking, a lake area of town. don't give me the saluda lake, lol

Charlotte actually has a reputation of being a redneck NASCAR city so it's funny you are portraying it as much different from Greenville. It's not that far away so the idea people there are much different is funny to me.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2013, 10:27 AM
 
425 posts, read 563,528 times
Reputation: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vhammond View Post
First of all, Greer is and always has been redneck island. If you want a vinyl siding house next to a trailer park, Greer is your place.

Here are the main differences between the cities, crime is higher in metro Greenville, people are less educated in Greenville, income levels are lower in Greenville and yet because of the mill hill mentality, folks think they are "blessed" to live here. I have stayed due to family reasons but, this is not a mini Charlotte, it is a big Gaffney.

Greenville has a nice Main Street, a nice park, and will attract some Broadway shows. The locals take this to mean we are cosmopolitan. It is a shallow city without much depth. I would suggest looking at Columbia or Charlotte. A good example is that when a decent band plays at the Simpsonville Amplitheatre, you would think we won the Olympics. Mumford and Sons plays in a ton of small town venues, yet, locals take this as Greenville being big time. Based on the garbage comments you have seen, it is clear that people are playing to the home crowd.
I think that Greenville has a lot better employers across the board, especially for engineers. I would think the middle class in Greenville is much broader with more upper middle class people than Columbia. Columbia prrobably has more rich people but also more poor people.

You take away the university, the government jobs, the law/finance offices in Columbia, you aren't left with much else.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2013, 12:04 PM
 
609 posts, read 826,281 times
Reputation: 292
Honestly, aside from the downtown/urban centers, of which there would be some differences, there really isn't a whole lot different between the suburban areas of Greenville, Columbia, or Fort Mill (despite the petty regionalism shown by many of these posters).

Cost of living is going to be be comparable, same with schools (check your districts/zoning). It really comes down to what you're looking for outside of the basics (suburban/good schools/cost of living), because they're all good for that.

My wife and I really like living in Columbia. However, I wouldn't have a problem with living in either Greenville or Fort Mill.

Welcome to South Carolina, and I hope your move goes well.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2013, 12:58 PM
 
Location: Pembroke Pines, Fl
24 posts, read 42,009 times
Reputation: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXGamecock View Post
Honestly, aside from the downtown/urban centers, of which there would be some differences, there really isn't a whole lot different between the suburban areas of Greenville, Columbia, or Fort Mill (despite the petty regionalism shown by many of these posters).

Cost of living is going to be be comparable, same with schools (check your districts/zoning). It really comes down to what you're looking for outside of the basics (suburban/good schools/cost of living), because they're all good for that.

My wife and I really like living in Columbia. However, I wouldn't have a problem with living in either Greenville or Fort Mill.

Welcome to South Carolina, and I hope your move goes well.
Thank you, I hope I get that transfer soon.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2013, 02:56 PM
 
2,536 posts, read 8,704,163 times
Reputation: 1075
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXGamecock View Post
Honestly, aside from the downtown/urban centers, of which there would be some differences, there really isn't a whole lot different between the suburban areas of Greenville, Columbia, or Fort Mill (despite the petty regionalism shown by many of these posters).

Cost of living is going to be be comparable, same with schools (check your districts/zoning). It really comes down to what you're looking for outside of the basics (suburban/good schools/cost of living), because they're all good for that.

My wife and I really like living in Columbia. However, I wouldn't have a problem with living in either Greenville or Fort Mill.

Welcome to South Carolina, and I hope your move goes well.
There is so much misinformation being given on this thread (along with several others) it's nice to see a bit of sanity (thanks!)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:19 AM.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top