U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2013, 03:12 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,289,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vhammond View Post
This is BS. Honestly, there are pros and cons of each city. I have lived in Greenville forever and spent a ton of time in Columbia. Greenville has a nice Main St and some nice intown neighborhoods. But, we also have a lot of rednecks in Greenville and some who think you are "blessed" to live here. For me, you could be happy in either place, it is not like you are comparing Greenville with a city like Charlotte.

I would visit, look at the job opportunities and look around at the entire area before making a decision.
No BS at all. Just my opinion, after living in both cities.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2013, 03:12 PM

233 posts, read 260,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemsonTiger45 View Post
I think that Greenville has a lot better employers across the board, especially for engineers. I would think the middle class in Greenville is much broader with more upper middle class people than Columbia. Columbia prrobably has more rich people but also more poor people.

You take away the university, the government jobs, the law/finance offices in Columbia, you aren't left with much else.
Lading cities have never been established by engineers.

Your last statement is silly, you could use similar logic for almost any city. Fact is, there will always be a state government (and if you get serious about efficiency, more government would be consolidated in Columbia), there will always be a university and as of now, the banking/finance sectors are growing.

Imagine Greenville without BMW or if Michelin decides to move the US HQ to a larger city with better talent such as Atlanta or Charlotte.

Old 06-28-2013, 03:16 PM

Quote:
what is the big deal with Charlotte? I worked downtown there for 4 months in 2004, and it was fun b/c you could walk to eat at several places nearby the office. But I would never go downtown Charlotte if I lived there on the weekends or at night after work. It has much worse traffic and everything costs more there. Greenville and Columbia have most everything Charlotte does at this point. I think Greenville has a nicer downtown and park than Charlotte.

I do like the Davidson area up around the lake though. that is the thing greenville is lacking, a lake area of town. don't give me the saluda lake, lol

Charlotte actually has a reputation of being a redneck NASCAR city so it's funny you are portraying it as much different from Greenville. It's not that far away so the idea people there are much different is funny to me.
LOL, are you seriously saying these places are similar? As for redneck, yes, Greenville and Greer are way more redneck than Charlotte. If you did live there for 4 months, it would be obvious.

Old 06-28-2013, 03:20 PM

425 posts, read 563,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vhammond View Post
Lading cities have never been established by engineers.

Your last statement is silly, you could use similar logic for almost any city. Fact is, there will always be a state government (and if you get serious about efficiency, more government would be consolidated in Columbia), there will always be a university and as of now, the banking/finance sectors are growing.

Imagine Greenville without BMW or if Michelin decides to move the US HQ to a larger city with better talent such as Atlanta or Charlotte.
BMW doesn't really have that many engineering jobs, it is a production facility.

You still would have Fluor, Jacobs, O'Neal, Day and Zimmerman, Mustang, GE, CH2M HILL (spartanburg), Lockheed Martin, some smaller outfits like DeVita and Enwright. AVX, Kemet, various pharmaceutical companies and I am sure bunch of other stuff I can't remember right now.

I think overall it rivals Charlotte for engineering work, especially design engineering, and probably actually better than Charlotte for engineering.

I don't think Charlotte or Atlanta got better talent, just got more people and that includes more poor and/or low skilled workers.

Old 06-28-2013, 04:59 PM

5,086 posts, read 7,234,577 times
Columbia is more humid on average.

Old 06-28-2013, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcliffe View Post
Columbia is more humid on average.
It is actually mmore humid in Greenville in the morning, but more humid in Columbia in the afteroon, according to a climate comparison website I looked at.

Temperature wise Columbia is about 2-3 degrees warmer on average which isn't very significant in my mind.

COlumbia is actually windier in the summer than Greenville by a little bit, going by average windspeeds, Greenville gets much windier in the cooler months.

Columbia does have about 7 more days than Greenville with temps over 90 degrees in the hottest month of the year.

Old 06-28-2013, 05:37 PM

35,940 posts, read 34,005,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXGamecock View Post
Honestly, aside from the downtown/urban centers, of which there would be some differences, there really isn't a whole lot different between the suburban areas of Greenville, Columbia, or Fort Mill (despite the petty regionalism shown by many of these posters).

Cost of living is going to be be comparable, same with schools (check your districts/zoning). It really comes down to what you're looking for outside of the basics (suburban/good schools/cost of living), because they're all good for that.

My wife and I really like living in Columbia. However, I wouldn't have a problem with living in either Greenville or Fort Mill.

Welcome to South Carolina, and I hope your move goes well.
^This. The suburban areas desired by the OP are all more or less equal. With the simple criteria given, she could just pretty much close her eyes and point.

Old 06-28-2013, 05:47 PM

35,940 posts, read 34,005,984 times
Quote:
You take away the university, the government jobs, the law/finance offices in Columbia, you aren't left with much else.
This is pretty silly; you're basically saying "Take away Columbia's economic base and you don't have anything." Well DUH! It's like saying, "Take away manufacturing and engineering in Greenville, and you don't have anything."

Even so, you'd still be left with some decently-sized employers in Columbia, such as Blue Cross Blue Shied of SC, Colonial Life, Aflac, SCANA, Michelin plant, Amazon facility, UPS regional hub, Verizon call center, Nephron pharmaceutical plant (once it gets up and running), the hospitals in the area, etc.

Old 06-28-2013, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
This is pretty silly; you're basically saying "Take away Columbia's economic base and you don't have anything." Well DUH! It's like saying, "Take away manufacturing and engineering in Greenville, and you don't have anything."

Even so, you'd still be left with some decently-sized employers in Columbia, such as Blue Cross Blue Shied of SC, Colonial Life, Aflac, SCANA, Michelin plant, Amazon facility, UPS regional hub, Verizon call center, Nephron pharmaceutical plant (once it gets up and running), the hospitals in the area, etc.
SCANA is no big get, you going to have a power company based in or near any major metro. Hartsville has Progress/Duke Energy nuke plant right there on the lake. Every metro or even small town has a hospital.

Columbia is primiarmly a university and government town. Government towns tend to have more lawyers for whatever reason.

USC is the reason why a lot of companies are coming to the area, it is a bigger business incubator than you realize, same with the government being here.

I cringe when somebody refers to the government as an "economic base" though as though it creates its own wealth.

Old 06-28-2013, 06:59 PM

Quote:
SCANA is no big get, you going to have a power company based in or near any major metro. Hartsville has Progress/Duke Energy nuke plant right there on the lake. Every metro or even small town has a hospital.

Columbia is primiarmly a university and government town. Government towns tend to have more lawyers for whatever reason.

USC is the reason why a lot of companies are coming to the area, it is a bigger business incubator than you realize, same with the government being here.

I cringe when somebody refers to the government as an "economic base" though as though it creates its own wealth.
Your arguments are silly. First, if you take away major employers in any area, it will hurt the area, government is no different. Columbia's job composition is much more diversified than government and education. You may cringe about government but, it is a significant part of the economy in most cities and always will be, always has been. You don't think people in Greenville appreciate the government employee sector in this area? Or appreciate the federal government grants to improve downtown and Falls Park?

As for engineering between Greenville and Charlotte. First, a lot of the firms you mentioned have reduced staff. I know a lot of folks who were eliminated from these companies. As for Charlotte, it has much more than you know, I doubt a fixed income trader with a business degree cares about engineering since he is pulling in $500k+ annually. Charlotte has much more than we do in Greenville, it is laughable that you are trying to compare the cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area