U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2013, 11:50 AM

233 posts, read 260,018 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiecta View Post
Definitely true, but I still enjoy Greenville. I grew up in CLT and there are certainly things I like there. I still go up there to shop at SouthPark for example, but I enjoy living here in Greenville more than in Charlotte. I also enjoyed Raleigh more than Charlotte. My wife's father who has lived in Charlotte for 30 years is considering moving to downtown Greenville from a very upscale portion of Charlotte. So, while Charlotte is nice, there are definitely upsides to Greenville as well that some people obviously like.

It's not just about amenities, it's a balance of all the advantages and disadvantages of living in a certain area that really play a part in deciding where to live. Lots of cities have more amenities than Greenville that I wouldn't want to live in.

Both Charlotte and Greenville can be nice places to live. Columbia can be too. I've visited a lot over the years in different contexts and don't love it, but I also never found anything I truly hated about Columbia or anything either. I honestly don't hear many people talking about Columbia outside of SC much. I hear tons about Charleston and then Greenville after that. It is rare that someone brings up Columbia when I mention I live in SC. Not sure if that's good or bad haha
I did not intend for this to turn into a Charlotte v Greenville thread. I mentioned the last part because some folks look at the Charlotte suburbs. Charlotte is obviously much larger than Greenville is I am sure is very different, my friends in Charlotte would not think of moving out, especially to down here. Charlotte is growing faster than Greenville so, some folks like it, some don't. That is the reason I think folks should visit areas to see what life is like in each city. For me, I like being near family and decided to stay in Greenville. Outside of that, I would move to Charlotte in 2 seconds and escape the mill hill mentality that dominates this area.

As for being known outside of SC, I never would guess that Greenville had more recognition than Columbia considering how much Columbia is on TV related to Carolina sports. I guess it depends on who you talk to.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2013, 01:01 PM

3,751 posts, read 5,951,884 times
don't get me wrong, there are definitely things I don't like about Greenville and some of the smaller-town things that come with it either either. It's not the perfect city by any means. In fact, my wife and I are both big-city people in terms of our ideal: Public transit, walkability, urban density...but unfortunately that comes at a cost and it is a cost so high in many of our favorite cities that we just can't justify it when we can make nearly as much here in Greenville at a fraction of the living cost and still have a high quality of life. At our age, it just makes sense to soak up all the extra savings.

In terms of Columbia: recognition is one thing in terms of sports, but I'm just talking about people bringing it up or mentioning it when we have met strangers on vacation and find out we live in SC. We hear "oh I love/heard so many good things about Charleston" or "oh I love/heard so many good things about Greenville" 5:1 to Columbia. Like I said, I'm not trying to imply Greenville is better, just making an observation since someone was talking about Columbia's perception outside of SC. In fact it may only mean they get "advertised" more. I'm just providing my anecdotal experience.

There are lots of things I love about Charlotte. We visit regularly to see my parents and her dad and go there for shopping which is no doubt better than Greenville. I spent 18 years and a few summers there. I still say I'm from there as well. I'm not trying to disparage it but there are lots of things I do not like about the WAY it has grown. Not that it has grown, but the manner in which it has. That's all.

Old 07-02-2013, 07:04 PM

5,086 posts, read 7,231,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vhammond View Post
I did not intend for this to turn into a Charlotte v Greenville thread. I mentioned the last part because some folks look at the Charlotte suburbs. Charlotte is obviously much larger than Greenville is I am sure is very different, my friends in Charlotte would not think of moving out, especially to down here. Charlotte is growing faster than Greenville so, some folks like it, some don't. That is the reason I think folks should visit areas to see what life is like in each city. For me, I like being near family and decided to stay in Greenville. Outside of that, I would move to Charlotte in 2 seconds and escape the mill hill mentality that dominates this area.

As for being known outside of SC, I never would guess that Greenville had more recognition than Columbia considering how much Columbia is on TV related to Carolina sports. I guess it depends on who you talk to.
I don't sense this where I live. We are mostly business oriented. Where do you live exactly? Westside?

Old 07-02-2013, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
Post about the topic at hand and stop with the personal attacks, redcliffe.

BigRedBeth, I meant what I posted.
You will know if I attack you. I promise. Lol. It's the truth. Once a booster, now something different. Don't waste time posting on a place you hate. It takes lots of energy. So you don't like it. So what? Enjoy where you are. I do like it. I believe most others here do too. You'll never see most bash where they left. They just say it wasn't for them and have nothing else to say about it. Where I came from wasn't for me, but I still think it has it's positives.

Old 07-02-2013, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vhammond View Post
You're right. This area is about 90% neo cons and hates all things government (except when the government funds projects around here, which is a lot). Greenville is a nice place to live but, it is still a smallish downtown surrounded by a sea of suburban developments supported by manufacturing.

As I said, crime is higher which may correspond to the lower income/education levels. My advice is to look at areas you are interested in and find a job. Whether you live in Columbia or Greenville, life is not going to be materially different. If you are also looking at the Charlotte suburbs in SC, then it is a different ballgame. Greenville has nowhere close to the amenities that can be found up in Charlotte.
I disagree. Greenville's small city limits drives the number up. It's the seat of the most populated county in the state, which all go into the city for things. That will inflate per capita numbers. I'm curious what the numbers are county to county.

Old 07-02-2013, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
And Charlotte doesn't have the same amenities as Atlanta. What's your point Vhammond?
I guess that means Atlanta is better, based on this type of debate. Bigger is automatically better.

Old 07-02-2013, 08:47 PM

179 posts, read 302,499 times
I, for the life of me, cant think of one single thing that is better in Columbia than Greenville except for its a couple hours closer to the beach. But thats it.

Old 07-02-2013, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausrutherford View Post
I, for the life of me, cant think of one single thing that is better in Columbia than Greenville except for its a couple hours closer to the beach. But thats it.
I understand how you feel. Sometimes people have a bad experience and they take it out on where they were when it happened. I think we are seeing that from a couple here. It's been good to most though.

Old 07-02-2013, 10:37 PM

11,332 posts, read 22,556,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiecta View Post
Lots of cities have more amenities than Greenville that I wouldn't want to live in.
Like Dallas and Houston. You couldn't pay me to live in the seventh circuit of hell there.

Old 07-02-2013, 11:25 PM

35,934 posts, read 33,979,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ausrutherford View Post
Well it's all subjective, but one might say the zoo, the museums, and college sports. And conversely some might say that retail, dining, and Main Street are better in Greenville. Different strokes for different folks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area