Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2024, 12:17 PM

1,848 posts, read 3,724,411 times

Advertisements

We currently live in FL and are considering a move to Greenville. After a recent horrible storm with my now neurotic dog, I was wondering if the storms in the area are like FL thunderstorms. Lots of lightning and horrible thunder.

I have tried everything for him, and he just needs to be held. We have done all the recommended meds, thunder shirts etc.

Having lived all over the US and 3 countries in Europe I know storms are different in different parts. I grew up here and when we moved back loved the storms. Then my 9 yr old golden developed a fear of storms and fireworks. The fireworks I can manage as those are usually planned (4th of July, New Years) but the storms I can't. Nothing like having your 90 lb dog freak out at 2am!

Thought I would ask here....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2024, 01:41 PM

4,600 posts, read 6,007,784 times
Yes we get thunderstorm systems with lightning and thunder especially in the spring (sometimes severe) and summer when warm and cool fronts collide. They can still occur any time of year but seem less frequent in the winter.

Old 02-26-2024, 02:53 PM

958 posts, read 2,620,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slduvall View Post
The fireworks I can manage as those are usually planned (4th of July, New Years) but the storms I can't. Nothing like having your 90 lb dog freak out at 2am!

Thought I would ask here....
Regarding the fireworks, they'll go on for days here, so keep that in mind. Before NYE they'll typically start a few days early and run a few days after, depending on your neighborhood, and it's the same at the 4th of July. It bothers both of our dogs so we try to pick our spots when taking them out those nights.

Old 02-26-2024, 03:50 PM

4,899 posts, read 7,441,179 times
Thunderstorms haven’t been too bad but fireworks? Any holiday seems to be a reason to celebrate . . . We don’t have a dog right now but I know from reading next door dot com it has been quite a problem for dog owners and those with PTSD.

Last edited by LynchburgLover; 02-26-2024 at 04:17 PM..

Old 02-26-2024, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchburgLover View Post
Thunderstorms haven’t been too bad but fireworks? Any holiday seems to be a reason to celebrate . . . We don’t have a dog right now but I know from reading next door dot com it has been quite a problem for dog owners and those with PTSD.
Agreed. I live in a subdivision where the houses are close together and it's usually only on 4th of July and New Years Eve. I don't have a dog but I get it because often I have family visiting with a little Shih-Tsu and she is terrified of them and will hide under a bed or in a closet.

Old 02-27-2024, 02:26 PM

1,848 posts, read 3,724,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnglishCream View Post
Regarding the fireworks, they'll go on for days here, so keep that in mind. Before NYE they'll typically start a few days early and run a few days after, depending on your neighborhood, and it's the same at the 4th of July. It bothers both of our dogs so we try to pick our spots when taking them out those nights.
Same here. If it wasn't for the a$$hats that live on the cul-de-sac behind me it wouldn't be a problem. The whole neighborhood tells them to knock off the excessive launches and even the cops have shown up and tells them to dial it down and they scream "the sound of freedom". We live outside an AFB so we get the sound of freedom daily. The F-35 is the loudest plane ever. We get it...freedom baby. Even some guys with PTSD have asked they chill out a bit on our neighborhood FB page. They just launched more.

We also have a EOD school nearby, so bombs going off are real and don't phase my dog at all. But being outside when lightening hit a neighbor's tree did it for him.

I turn up the music and TVs starting each evening in early July and NYE and medicate him. But I can't stop the lightening coming in through the windows. That is his trigger.

Old 02-27-2024, 02:43 PM

11,402 posts, read 5,960,793 times
You can look up lightning density for your area of Florida and then for Greenville.

Here is a sample map.

https://www.reddit.com/media?url=htt...4cjca99w41.jpg

FWIW, Florida's lightning density is annually 83 per square kilometer. South Carolina is annually 36 per square kilometer. Less than half the number of lightning flashes.

Old 02-28-2024, 05:21 AM

2,213 posts, read 2,841,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slduvall View Post
Then my 9 yr old golden developed a fear of storms and fireworks. The fireworks I can manage as those are usually planned (4th of July, New Years)
It is only a slight exaggeration to say that fireworks here are from mid-June through the end of July, plus the week of Dec 25-Jan2.

Loud severe thunderstorms happen mabye 2-4 times per year.

Old 02-28-2024, 06:40 AM

144 posts, read 146,102 times
FL is the lightning/thunderstorm capital of the country as I understand it.
I live just North of Greenvillie by about 10 miles in a semi private area and the storms can be heard here but for the most part seem distant.
Fireworks can be a problem, again that depends on where you live I guess.
Just a hint, if you see lots of fireworks stands along the rode maybe you would not like to live there???

Old 02-28-2024, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvsteve View Post
It is only a slight exaggeration to say that fireworks here are from mid-June through the end of July, plus the week of Dec 25-Jan2.

Loud severe thunderstorms happen mabye 2-4 times per year.
Personally I have noticed a big drop off in my neighborhood. Around 10 years ago it did seem like they would shoot them for days before and after the 4th and New Years but lately it has been mainly on the actual night of. Thought it might be they have gone up in price like everything else these days and that families have cut back splurging on them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area