Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 09:45 PM

179 posts, read 328,683 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohtalim View Post
But 10-12 teens waiting to ambush a lone biker is a quorum, making this attack sanctioned as an after school activity.
Might not even be 10-12 even if the attack took place.

The mind plays tricks on you in this type of situation. So your mind can take 3-4 people and turn you into thinking its 10-12.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2013, 05:18 AM

5,238 posts, read 8,788,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeoid View Post
I wondered about this myself. But the Greenville City PD just launched a new crime reporting web site within the last week. It's at Greenville SC Police Reports.

Media story at Greenville Police Launch Tool to Track Crime in Your Neighborhood
That's good! It would be helpful if they had somebody enter in all the past crime reports on to that map.

Otherwise, it will take some years before people can get a real clear picture on where and what type of crime is going on in the city.

Thanks for posting that.

Old 08-08-2013, 05:32 AM

I can see why people are a little suspicious of this kids story. He's young, and a bit eager, and seems a bit unphased by the whole thing. When you add that he has no descriptions of any suspects other than race, I dunno. There's some room to be suspicious. People have falsely reported crimes when they find themselves in a bind, say, wrecking a new expensive bike while screwing around on the way home. The news clip shows him screwing around on his new bike. Definitely not sending any money his way after seeing that.

Hopefully, the police can find something to corroborate his story, or disprove it, other than a slightly bruised rib and a barely black eye. If they can't, they are kind of in a bind. They can't accuse the kid of lying unless they can really prove that, and without much to go on, I don't know...

It's a pickle. You have to take people's word until you can't, I guess.

Old 08-08-2013, 05:57 AM

1,844 posts, read 2,761,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
The timing of events in his story from his friends going missing to a mob attacking just seems way too coincidental. Also, nobody else saw the attack and there are no suspect descriptions. It just doesn't pass the smell test at all.
The only thing is, if he made this up, where did he dispose of his bike and backpack? What does his cellular carrier show as the location of the ESN of his stolen phone?

Old 08-08-2013, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
That's good! It would be helpful if they had somebody enter in all the past crime reports on to that map.
You can change the start date and many more reports will pop up...

Old 08-08-2013, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeoid View Post
You can change the start date and many more reports will pop up...
Cool. Thx.

I just did that, and the map shows ONE of the crimes that I know of that have occurred in the past year (that were reported to police).

Two crimes on my block do not show up.

The businesses that I know were robbed do not show up.

Is there a filter or something that I am missing on this map?

Old 08-08-2013, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Two crimes on my block do not show up.

The businesses that I know were robbed do not show up.

Is there a filter or something that I am missing on this map?
I'm not sure how they do their random location offsets for privacy, but I notice that some multi-block areas emerged untouched by any crime. Perhaps the business addresses were munged for privacy, although that should not be necessary for a business.

Old 08-08-2013, 08:44 PM

2,213 posts, read 2,841,818 times
Quote:
I can see why people are a little suspicious of this kids story. He's young, and a bit eager, and seems a bit unphased by the whole thing. When you add that he has no descriptions of any suspects other than race, I dunno. There's some room to be suspicious. People have falsely reported crimes when they find themselves in a bind, say, wrecking a new expensive bike while screwing around on the way home. The news clip shows him screwing around on his new bike. Definitely not sending any money his way after seeing that.

Hopefully, the police can find something to corroborate his story, or disprove it, other than a slightly bruised rib and a barely black eye. If they can't, they are kind of in a bind. They can't accuse the kid of lying unless they can really prove that, and without much to go on, I don't know...

It's a pickle. You have to take people's word until you can't, I guess.
The whole mock-execution story of holding a gun to a guy's head, pulling the trigger and having the gun be intentionally unloaded makes no sense. I know kids sometimes do senseless things, but why in the world would you do this to someone when robbing them? To make them a) desperate and fearful for their life for no reason, and b) let them know your gun doesn't work?

Old 08-09-2013, 07:24 AM

6,219 posts, read 5,937,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvsteve View Post
The whole mock-execution story of holding a gun to a guy's head, pulling the trigger and having the gun be intentionally unloaded makes no sense. I know kids sometimes do senseless things, but why in the world would you do this to someone when robbing them? To make them a) desperate and fearful for their life for no reason, and b) let them know your gun doesn't work?
In Chicago, there have been a number of cases of teen mobs hurting people for the joy of doing it in the past few years ... Including knocking them off their bikes. Teens will use social media and cell phones to connect and plan flash mobs involving violence and/or robbery. Every few weeks it seems I'll see a news story about teens filming random beat-downs ... A couple of years ago there was a Yourube video on the news where teens drove around and pitched something out of a car window knocking someone down ... Their response was laughter. Violence for some or the threat of it it seems is its own reward. Perhaps the money or things stolen are just a nice extra for them, or a souvenir of a fun night.

So my response to your a) and b) is yes to both.

Old 10-04-2013, 07:58 PM

6 charged in assault on bicyclist in Falls Park

Quote:
Police said they got a CrimeStoppers tip Sept. 26 that gave some names of people possibly involved in the Falls Park robbery that happened Aug. 2.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area