U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2013, 10:32 AM

90 posts, read 245,693 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm self employed, so health insurance has been both costly and frustrating for me. Right now I have a very limited plan with Humana One. It is $350 per month for me and my son, major medical only- $10,000 deductible per person before anything is covered, no prescriptions are covered... this stinks, because unless we have a major health issue, everything is out of pocket...

I make too much $ to get any coverage through the SC healthy family plans, but not enough $ to pay $900+ per month for a plan that covers much of anything... stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Has anyone heard of the Consumer Choice Health Plan that is starting this October?

Or are there any healthcare co-ops where self employed people can get in on a group type plan? I lived in Rochester NY for 15 years, and was a member of a group called BeneCare- I had incredible health insurance, everything covered- for about $320 per month.

The only way for me to get eligible for group health that I know of is if I hire 2 employees and cover them. But right now, even though my business is an S corp, I'm not hiring anyone, just have myself payrolled.

Would love to hear what other self employed people or sole proprietors are doing for healthcare!

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2013, 10:52 AM

1,782 posts, read 2,453,594 times
All of the 'good' plans at decent rates have been disappearing in SC over the last several years - even for those in large companies, unless the company contributes at ever larger rates to the coverage premiums. So even joining a group might not give you a good break.

Consider combining an HSA with the high deductible plan to give you a tax break on the deductible portion.

I don't have any information on CCHP.

Old 09-03-2013, 04:40 AM

It's pretty dismal. It wasn't so bad when I was able to buy good health insurance for my son, but then the law changed and wouldn't allow him to be insured alone. He had his first ear infection a month ago and it cost me a whopping $267 for the Dr appt, and $47 for the antibiotic. Until I spend $10k per family member/year with the Humana One plan we have, not a dollar is covered.

I've searched for groups at various times over the last decade and came up with nothing- but I was living in Hilton Head at those times.

I used to employ 5-7 people at a time, so was able to have a group plan- but due to (irony) health issues, I've had to downscale my business and work schedule and currently am employing only myself.

I'm starting to think that it would be a big boost to small businesses in South Carolina if the health insurance situation was better. I know that Obamacare is supposed to fix this, but I have some doubts about that- my rates for the plan I mention above were raised $200 per month after my first year- a year in which I never used the plan a single time. The reason quoted to me was "the people around you are not healthy".

So hoping that the CCHP provides some hope in this huge healthcare/cost gap that so many of us have fallen into, because I'm just scared to death to even get sick, much less need to visit a hospital. It would wipe me out financially!

Old 09-03-2013, 05:15 AM

1,782 posts, read 2,453,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by libellula View Post
He had his first ear infection a month ago and it cost me a whopping $267 for the Dr appt, and $47 for the antibiotic. Until I spend $10k per family member/year with the Humana One plan we have, not a dollar is covered.
Some of this is because of the incredible amount of paperwork the doctor has in filing, tracking, and fighting with the insurance company. Check out the concept of local doctors who cut out the middle man and can actually post prices: Palmetto Proactive. They can probably beat the $267 price.

Old 09-03-2013, 08:57 AM

12,457 posts, read 29,496,065 times
Quote:
It's pretty dismal. It wasn't so bad when I was able to buy good health insurance for my son, but then the law changed and wouldn't allow him to be insured alone. He had his first ear infection a month ago and it cost me a whopping $267 for the Dr appt, and $47 for the antibiotic. Until I spend $10k per family member/year with the Humana One plan we have, not a dollar is covered.

I've searched for groups at various times over the last decade and came up with nothing- but I was living in Hilton Head at those times.

I used to employ 5-7 people at a time, so was able to have a group plan- but due to (irony) health issues, I've had to downscale my business and work schedule and currently am employing only myself.

I'm starting to think that it would be a big boost to small businesses in South Carolina if the health insurance situation was better. I know that Obamacare is supposed to fix this, but I have some doubts about that- my rates for the plan I mention above were raised $200 per month after my first year- a year in which I never used the plan a single time. The reason quoted to me was "the people around you are not healthy".

So hoping that the CCHP provides some hope in this huge healthcare/cost gap that so many of us have fallen into, because I'm just scared to death to even get sick, much less need to visit a hospital. It would wipe me out financially!
I don't know what your income is but your son may qualify for CHIP: http://www.insurekidsnow.gov/chip/index.html

Last edited by beckycat; 09-03-2013 at 09:12 AM..

Old 09-03-2013, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeoid View Post
Some of this is because of the incredible amount of paperwork the doctor has in filing, tracking, and fighting with the insurance company. Check out the concept of local doctors who cut out the middle man and can actually post prices: Palmetto Proactive. They can probably beat the $267 price.

Thanks for the suggestion, I will definitely check Palmetto Proactive out. There's got to be a middle ground here and I appreciate the suggestions.

Beckycat, thanks for that- I am not sure if I would be eligible... I've found myself to be in this gray area of the middle class... too "rich" to be eligible, too "poor" to pay full price. argh!

Old 09-03-2013, 10:13 AM

12,457 posts, read 29,496,065 times
Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion, I will definitely check Palmetto Proactive out. There's got to be a middle ground here and I appreciate the suggestions.

Beckycat, thanks for that- I am not sure if I would be eligible... I've found myself to be in this gray area of the middle class... too "rich" to be eligible, too "poor" to pay full price. argh!
Can't hurt to check it out. I know for people who make more, they just have a low monthly premium. There are cut off limits though.

Good luck.

Old 09-03-2013, 10:18 AM

That is reassuring. Right now I feel like I'm paying out for nothing... I mean, it only covers anything if I spend $10k per person in a calendar year. So anything would be a huge improvement, not just in terms of cost but quality of care I am sure.

Much appreciated!

Old 09-03-2013, 10:27 AM

3,784 posts, read 5,815,029 times
CCHP is South Carolina's website for implementing the Affordable Care Act (aka Obamacare). Go to the website and plug in your own specific info to get rate quotes. The info on it may be incomplete but it should be fully functioning by October 1st as mandated by the ACA. You can then shop around for rates and plans that will go into effect on Jan. 1 2014.

Old 09-03-2013, 12:19 PM

1,794 posts, read 4,475,476 times
libellula,
The Affordable Care Act is going to be for you.
It has been a long time coming, but check in October to see what plan will
suit your needs the best.
Self Employed people will finally be able to afford to buy health insurance.
Took long enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area