U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2013, 12:30 PM

1 posts, read 1,213 times

Advertisements

My husband's job is moving from NYC to Clemson. We just took a trip down to that area this past weekend and decided we do like Clemson as well as Anderson. I am mostly interested in finding the best school district as we have 3 kids (6, 3 and 9 months). We are both from NJ and have no idea what is the best area to live in. I really liked some of the sub-divisions of both Clemson and Anderson, but would like some input from people who live down there. We don't want to live in an area that is too remote/country. An area with neighbors close by and kids around is preferable. Any advice is appreciated!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2013, 12:42 PM

221 posts, read 225,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicaloni View Post
My husband's job is moving from NYC to Clemson. We just took a trip down to that area this past weekend and decided we do like Clemson as well as Anderson. I am mostly interested in finding the best school district as we have 3 kids (6, 3 and 9 months). We are both from NJ and have no idea what is the best area to live in. I really liked some of the sub-divisions of both Clemson and Anderson, but would like some input from people who live down there. We don't want to live in an area that is too remote/country. An area with neighbors close by and kids around is preferable. Any advice is appreciated!
The north side of Anderson around highway 81 has good schools, i think it is Anderson district 5 with T. Hanna being the high school.
Clemson also has good schools, Daniel high school is one of the best rated ones in the state.

You could also look at Pendelton which is between Anderson and Clemson, closer to Clemson.

I guess it all comes down to what you consider too remote. There isn't a whole lot in Clemson so you'll probably end up in Anderson a good bit.

Did you look at Seneca? It has more stuff than Clemson and it near two pristine lakes. The elementary and middle schools in Seneca closer to Clemson are highly rated. The high school in Seneca has a lower school score but that doesn't mean it is a bad school, the school scores just indicate how many kids from poor families go to the school and these kids often are not as motivated to go to college and their grades reflect that.
I'd recommend talking to the principal and teachers at a school if you are interested, or other parents who sent their kids there, rather than relying on school scores.

Old 09-05-2013, 07:56 PM

27 posts, read 55,053 times
IMHO, we just moved to SC 6 weeks ago and I did a lot of research on schools. I have a 7 and 9 yr old and schools were our most important factor. I just got back from my 9 yr olds back to school night and I am very impressed. We chose the Powdersville school district (Anderson1). Many of my neighbors work at Clemson. I have only been here for a few short weeks but, here is what I have noticed, I think as a transplant you will be much happier in the Powdersville area and closer to Grennville. I believe Anderson has transplants but not in the same numbers as Powdersville. My husbands job is in Anderson and he has noticed that everyone knows each other and cousins work together and best friends work together and they have been in Anderson for ever. He feels a little like an outsider. So far I am happy in Powdersville people are relatively friendly. I haven't made any "real" friends yet but I am hoping that volunteering in the school will help that situation. Good luck and let me know if you need any opinions/ help etc...

Old 09-06-2013, 04:05 AM

1,153 posts, read 1,535,957 times
Make sure to check out the Pickens County school district site. School District of Pickens County - Index They should have lots of information for you there. Clemson itself has to keep all those professors somewhat happy so the schools there are relatively good compared to other SC schools.

Be careful in the outlying areas though. That is a rural area and schools might disappoint compared to a better funded NJ or NYC school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area