Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2013, 07:57 PM

4 posts, read 9,286 times

Advertisements

I am planning on getting married next July! My partner and I really want to find a venue and get it booked! We are having a late evening wedding with approx 100 guests .. We prefer waterfront and cheap!! Everywhere we look its over a grand, with 3 kids that's not in our budget. We looked at the Falls but the place we saw we had to be out by 9:30 p.m. so that would be pushing our time frame! Does anyone know of any places?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2013, 09:28 PM

376 posts, read 727,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by n.brill View Post
I am planning on getting married next July! My partner and I really want to find a venue and get it booked! We are having a late evening wedding with approx 100 guests .. We prefer waterfront and cheap!! Everywhere we look its over a grand, with 3 kids that's not in our budget. We looked at the Falls but the place we saw we had to be out by 9:30 p.m. so that would be pushing our time frame! Does anyone know of any places?
Did you look at the rock quarry park in Greenville within Cleveland Park? They have weddings there. There is a 10 ft waterfall.

Here is the link for info about it Rock Quarry Falls | Waterfalls | Discover Upcountry South Carolina

Old 08-16-2013, 12:56 AM

2,103 posts, read 4,468,873 times
I hate to be the barer of bad news but you aren't going to find anything under 1k for that many people during peak wedding season. When I was looking table rock state park was the cheapest and they were about 1500 with early cutoff times and heavy restrictions. Have you considered a smaller wedding and then BBQ family get together later at a state park pavilion or something? You could also consider a winter wedding when venues give discounts. The wedding industry sucks.

One other thing you could try is if your total budget is higher many places will have no venue fees but a food budget that has to be at a certain amount (most I saw were around 3k or so).

Old 08-16-2013, 08:04 AM

557 posts, read 864,297 times
View Point at Buckhorn Creek LLC
(864) 498-3796
3411 State Park Rd.
Greenville, SC
viewpointbc.com

Old 08-16-2013, 12:56 PM

411 posts, read 853,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by n.brill View Post

Good luck with that. The cost of weddings are a real pain. My hubby and I managed to keep our costs at about $6,000 (including my dress) but it was WAY hard. We had our wedding at a vineyard in Tryon, NC. Even then it was $750 just for the venue. We had to supply the chairs, tables, linens, etc.

Any reason for a July wedding? It's so hot. Have a little mercy on your guests. I'll never understand why wedding season is in the summer in the south. Geez. Also, you may want to consider a Friday night wedding. Saturdays are always a premium.

You might find it a little easier to find something once you drop the waterfront requirement. However, check with the City of Greer. They have a nice outdoor gazebo on a pond in their city park. They also have indoor facilities for the reception and I think you have to be out by midnight. Another option would be to do the wedding in the park, and then a reception at the Davenport in downtown Greer (it's maybe two blocks away from the park). Their fee for a ten hour block (4pm to 2am) on a Friday or Sunday evening/night is $700 and I believe they include tables, chairs, and linens.

If you're willing to travel, Larkin's has a restaurant on Lake Lure with event space. I don't know how expensive though. I imagine it will be their catering costs more than anything. They were out of sight when I looked them up for wedding. But I was trying to get into the brick pavilion on the Reedy in downtown, which is probably the most popular venue in Greenville. That's bound to come at a price, unfortunately.

If you can't find a venue within your price range, you may have to spend more in that category and less in others. Finding ways to cut costs is easy if you put your mind to it. "Upscale" flower arrangements and bouquets can be had at retail locations such Whole Foods and Fresh Market. Catering can be done fairly cheaply as well. Have a BBQ instead of a fancy sit down type of affair. There's a big trend towards celebrating rustic, vintage, southern themes at weddings. You don't have to have a smarty pants affair to have fun anymore. I had so many people compliment me on my wedding and say that they actually had fun, that it was "a big elegant picnic", etc. And at the end of the day, you're married, and that's what is important.

Old 08-16-2013, 08:46 PM

40 posts, read 80,381 times
Try contacting Gasoway Mansion.

Old 08-16-2013, 09:33 PM

684 posts, read 1,185,571 times
Weird, most parks along the beach in CA are reservable for a mere $250, but book up months ahead. Didn't think the falls here would be that expensive.

Old 08-17-2013, 08:06 AM

Thank you all for your advice! Everywhere here is incredibly expensive so I checked out the islands in Charleston .. Funny thing is, they have a venue that is cheaper than here, thought it would be more expensive! I'm going to keep my eye out here but it may be Charleston for us! Also July is the only time when we can get married, my fiancé works with the university and travels from October until June.. That's why we are having a night wedding

Old 08-17-2013, 12:40 PM

1,153 posts, read 1,660,771 times
Charleston has more waterfront venues?! Wow! Who would have guessed?

Old 08-17-2013, 01:20 PM

Okay smarta$$, of course there is more waterfront considering it is the beach, we thought it would be more expensive is what I meant..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobo7396 View Post
Charleston has more waterfront venues?! Wow! Who would have guessed?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area