U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2013, 07:50 PM

2,966 posts, read 4,725,379 times

Advertisements

I am new to the area and looking to buy a new home in the near future. Can you please fill me in on the higher tax areas on the east-ish side of Greenville? Did I read that a Greenville address will require you to pay city income taxes, compared to say, living in Greer or Simpsonville?

Right now I am browsing in the region of Roper Mountain and 14, north of Woodruff and south of Pelham. Any feedback on the developments in close proximity to this intersection, as far as taxes go? The homes there are really beautiful.

In my last state for example, I paid around 1.3k per half for a nice home on 7 acres with a 4 car garage and finished outbuildings. Someone I know who lives 25 mins away in a 1.8k sq foot cramped subdivision, pays 3k per half. There was a huge difference in taxes.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by L0ve; 09-05-2013 at 08:01 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2013, 08:15 PM

684 posts, read 1,081,093 times
Check zillow for neighborhoods you are interested in - and most houses should list the taxes paid. Assume most are primary residences.

Old 09-05-2013, 09:34 PM

4,130 posts, read 7,568,655 times
The address has nothing to do with it. If you are inside a city limits you will pay city and county property taxes - the only income taxes in SC are state and federal. If you are in the county, but not a city, you will pay county property taxes. We lived on eastside of Greenville with a Greenville address but were in the county and paid county taxes. I believe the area you are referring to is in Greenville County and not inside Greenville or any other city.

Once you buy, you need to fill out form that states it is your primary residence (as opposed to a second or vacation home). That will allow you to pay a substantially lower property tax rate.

Old 09-05-2013, 09:55 PM

2,966 posts, read 4,725,379 times
Thanks roadpony. I have looked at several homes close to the Grenville border, where it may be a Greer or S-ville address a few streets away and was confused as to potential tax ramifications based on simply having a Greenville address. I will look for a map that shows the city limits.

Old 09-06-2013, 07:26 AM

5 posts, read 10,255 times
I would suggest you check out the Greenville Tax Assessor website, but that might be considered "advertising", so I won't do that. But it would tell you what the taxes were on any home last year, and give you an idea of what you are looking at. But this would not tell you the city taxes involved.

Old 09-06-2013, 09:44 AM

2,784 posts, read 2,747,687 times
Having a Greenville postal address and being inside the city limits are different things. There are a lot of homes with a Greenville, Greer, or Simpsonville address that are not inside and city limits.

Old 09-06-2013, 05:05 PM

11,543 posts, read 28,014,089 times
What you should define is the city boundary. If it is outside the city proper, it is in the county. This I think is standard in most states. One thing to consider is services. City police and fire do not generally answer emergency calls in the county. Depending upon the location, the Internet may not be as fast.

AT&T just announced it is upgrading the Internet in Greenville to a faster speed. It's good for Greenville and the area.

Old 09-06-2013, 05:16 PM

6,545 posts, read 20,826,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerSi View Post
I would suggest you check out the Greenville Tax Assessor website, but that might be considered "advertising", so I won't do that. But it would tell you what the taxes were on any home last year, and give you an idea of what you are looking at. But this would not tell you the city taxes involved.
If the home OP looks at on that site is a city property (either one) the RE taxes for that city most certainly are included in the bill.

I live in Mauldin city, with a 1600 sq. ft. home with attached garage. My taxes before any rebates are about $1100. Because this is our primary residence we get a discount of about $300-$400 for the school portion of the bill. Because hubby is disabled with SSA approval we get an additional $300-400 rebate! Can't beat living cheap in SC! YMMV
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area