U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2013, 01:27 PM

40 posts, read 66,822 times

Advertisements

We are moving to Greenville and I don't even begin to know where to look for a house. I saw a new subdivision within our price range near Furman University. Is that a nice area?

We will also be looking for homeschool groups and a church to go to. I prefer large, contemporary churches... Any recommendations?

Thank you so much for your time
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2013, 02:41 PM

90 posts, read 245,327 times
Christyloulou- My Son and I moved to Greenville after only having visited for a weekend- and we rented a house that we were unable to see the weekend we were here, lol.

Since I did not know much about all of Greenville's areas, I rented in a suburban neighborhood, centrally located, off Woodruff Road. I went through Marchant Property Management to rent, since I felt more comfortable renting through a company than an individual.

I homeschool my Son. I use Piedmont Home Educator's Association as my accountability group. I am new to homeschooling this year, but someone from this forum invited me to join a group on Facebook called "Upstate Field Trip Friends" (they have lots of members and schedule various trips and events for kids to get their socialization) and I also found on Facebook the "Greenville Homeschoolers Directory". Maybe these are a good place to start.

Best of luck to you, we love Greenville. Only thing we regret about moving here is that we didn't do it sooner!

Old 09-07-2013, 02:43 PM

6,569 posts, read 20,913,574 times
Most of the area around Furman is a "nice area" but without knowing the name of the subdivision it really is hard to advise you. My daughter went to Furman and they have a beautiful campus up there but I don't get up there much since she graduated 2 years ago.

Old 09-07-2013, 04:26 PM

12,457 posts, read 29,476,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christyloulou View Post
We are moving to Greenville and I don't even begin to know where to look for a house. I saw a new subdivision within our price range near Furman University. Is that a nice area?

We will also be looking for homeschool groups and a church to go to. I prefer large, contemporary churches... Any recommendations?

Can you be more specific? Are you looking to rent or buy? What is your price range? What size home?

Old 09-07-2013, 06:17 PM

Location: south of downtown Greenville, SC --> moving to Greensboro, NC
1,981 posts, read 4,177,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christyloulou View Post

The most important questions one needs to ask when moving to Greenville are:

1. Do you have school-aged children?
2. Will your children ever attend public school? (Are you absolutely certain?)
3. Where is your place of employment? (commute times vary widely in the Upstate and the infrastructure here stinks)
4. What are your activities of choice? Do you prefer to live close to downtown Greenville? Do you prefer the mountains? Lakes?

Note: the quality of public schools vary widely in Greenville County and greatly affect home re-sale values - public schools in the Furman area are average at best (I know your children will be home-schooled but, again, this affects re-sale)

Old 09-07-2013, 09:42 PM

5,010 posts, read 7,268,378 times
As many have mentioned in the past, you really need to come and look at Greenville, or know someone here that knows you well enough and knows where would be good.

Your idea of nice, my idea of nice, and another persons idea of nice could all be different.

I looked at homes in the Furman area, some developments were very nice but right next to an area and (mobile) homes that weren't. Furman is beautiful, but at that time, I didn't find anything in my price range that I thought was nice, and really didn't care too much for that area in general. This, of course, is a personal preference. I'm sure there are lovely homes in that area and many people like it over there.

Very hard for someone to give you an idea about where to look. Best for you to call a realtor, tell them your info and let them work with you from there at the very least. That's what I did.

Old 09-08-2013, 02:22 PM

40 posts, read 66,822 times
Thank you all so much for the replies! Libellula... Thanks for the homeschool info!!

We are looking for a one story house to buy, our price range is 200,000 or less. We have 4 kids under 6 years old. I think a good school district Is a must in case I can't continue to homeschool for some reason.

Thanks again y'all
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area