U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2013, 09:49 AM

1 posts, read 1,549 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

I am from Philadelphia and I am looking to relocate to South Carolina. I am still at the beginning of my research and I have yet to visit these places but I have started applying to jobs. I plan to visit both if and when I get interviews. I have read up a lot on both areas and I just want some opinions now. I am a beach bum so that is what is pushing me more towards Charleston but I have also heard how beautiful The Upstate is.

In your opinions:

Which is a better city for a young (23) single professional to live in?

Which has a better downtown?

Which is more affordable to live in?

Thank you!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2013, 09:54 AM

7,987 posts, read 11,737,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mlm5593 View Post
Hello All,

I am from Philadelphia and I am looking to relocate to South Carolina. I am still at the beginning of my research and I have yet to visit these places but I have started applying to jobs. I plan to visit both if and when I get interviews. I have read up a lot on both areas and I just want some opinions now. I am a beach bum so that is what is pushing me more towards Charleston but I have also heard how beautiful The Upstate is.

In your opinions:

Which is a better city for a young (23) single professional to live in?

Which has a better downtown?

Which is more affordable to live in?

Thank you!
Check out Columbia. Their downtown is INCREDIBLE!

Old 10-08-2013, 10:34 AM

99 posts, read 149,996 times
I've lived in both areas.

1) Charleston much better for a young singles. Full of "beautiful people" we always say. Not nearly as many ugly rednecks like you find in Greenville.

2) Greenville's downtown is very nice. But small compared to Charleston's. Many more shops and restaurants in Charleston. If Charleston's was the size of Greenville's I would call them about equal.

3) Greenville is much more affordable than Charleston. Of course it all depends what areas exactly. But I've found Greenville to have some of the lowest costs of living in all of SC.

Charleston is a great place to live for a while. Especially if you're young. It's hot as balls. Like: brutal-swampy-muggy-hot. It's progressive, leaning liberal most of the time (better for Northerners).

But, I ended up making Greenville my home now that I'm a little older and with a family. I can promise you won't regret living in Charelston.

Old 10-08-2013, 12:02 PM

271 posts, read 710,938 times
I've lived in both as well...Charleston when I was in my 20's and Greenville now as a bit older, lol. Charleston was fun, the downtown bars are college-oriented as College of Charleston is downtown. But downtown is also tourist oriented, and thus prices in restaurants, stores, etc reflect that. Tourists go there for the beaches (stay at the beach and then come into town for day to take in the history), and the historic aspects. During some times of the year, one would not even really want to go downtown because the tourist traffic is annoying. You likely would not even live downtown...it's either college housing, ie old houses barely meeting code split up into apartments, or multi-million dollar historic renovations...and a few pockets of slum/ghetto mixed in. Most 'middle income" people live out in the suburbs, ie West Ashley , Mt Pleasant, or even James Island, North Charleston, Summerville.

The downtown of Greenville, IMHO, is better for someone living here. Very vibrant night life, but not really college oriented crowd (of course the college students are out too) it seems to be a much more about young professionals, even middle age type professionals out. Adults, versus get drunk as you can college students. Greenville has it's tourism, but it's not the main draw....I think people come here for other reasons, ie business trips, conventions, and then enjoy the area while they are here. Of course, there are the suburbs of Charleston and Greenville and both end up being pretty much the same, a suburb is a surburb, same chain restaurants, etc.

It think Greenville is much more of a liberal area than Charleston. Charleston really has a "deep south" feel to it, as far as politics, good'ol boy mentality (I think they've had the same mayor for like 25 years or something...unless that changed recently). Greenville is much more advanced in terms of the progressive thinking.

If I was wanting to pick between the two for a short-term..."have fun for a few years and then settle down a bit" I'd go for Charleston. But if I am looking to start a career, plant roots, I'd go for Greenville.

Old 10-08-2013, 12:10 PM

14 posts, read 26,146 times
Charleston is much larger and a great place to live for young professionals. You also have the great beaches their. Great shopping, nightlife, resturants, and alot of young professionals and college students live their. Easy choice !!!

Old 10-08-2013, 04:10 PM

1,153 posts, read 1,413,151 times
Yeah, Charleston in a land slide here. Just make sure you can afford the lifestyle you think you want.

There's a lot in Charleston I can afford for a week out of a year, but not for the whole year.

Keep in mind that lots of Greenville area people love to visit Charleston on vacations and only get to see the rosy side of life there. If you live there, the newness may wear off in a shorter time and what was amazing the first year becomes duller as time goes by.

You may like the fact Charleston is a tourist destination or not.

Old 10-08-2013, 07:04 PM

4,909 posts, read 6,964,757 times
Charleston seems to fit what you're looking for since you said beach. Greenville is closer to mountains.

Old 10-08-2013, 07:27 PM

99 posts, read 149,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobo7396 View Post
You may like the fact Charleston is a tourist destination or not.
I've noticed no difference in tourism in Greenville and Charleston. To the extent that I would say neither have any that has an impact on daily life. However I have lived in Myrtle Beach and during tourist season it's bat-**** crazy. From grocery stores to restaurants to golf courses.

Isn't the only beach Charleston has is Folly Beach? I never really thought of Charleston as a beach destination.

Old 10-08-2013, 08:01 PM

3,200 posts, read 4,136,487 times
What type of job do you want? Finding a decent job in either city can be a challenge depending on your field. Both have nice downtown areas (Greenville is small).

Old 10-08-2013, 08:04 PM

271 posts, read 710,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trecnocin View Post
I've noticed no difference in tourism in Greenville and Charleston. To the extent that I would say neither have any that has an impact on daily life. However I have lived in Myrtle Beach and during tourist season it's bat-**** crazy. From grocery stores to restaurants to golf courses.

Isn't the only beach Charleston has is Folly Beach? I never really thought of Charleston as a beach destination.
You must have not spend a great deal of time in Charleston. The downtown area is ALL about tourism. Horse drawn carriage tours, Boat tours, walking tours, restaurants galore, upscale gift shops, etc etc...the Market..it's car to car, people to people tourism in the immediate downtown, historic area during certain months. Locals don't go downtown during that time...they know better...kinda like Floridians don't do Disney during summer months. And locals don't do those tours either...unless they have out of town visitors. Sure it's not the tacky neon tourism that Myrtle Beach offers, nonetheless, it IS tourism...and that is a huge appeal for many going to Charleston.

There is Isle of Palms, which is on the edge of Mt Pleasant..which is a suburb of Charleston. Folly Beach as you mentioned. Then one can do the Kiawah Island and Sullivan Island.....a bit outside of Charleston but most will drive into Charleston for a day or two, if they are staying on those islands.

Charleston is actually a great beach destination...if you like the laid-back beach atmosphere, and then head into town for some history. The anti-thesis of Myrtle Beach.

As far as comparing the tourism of Greenville to Charleston, I don't think there's a "high season" of tourism that comes to Greenville. A local wouldn't necessarily avoid downtown during any given season. Yes, some (me included) avoid going Main St on a Fri/Sat night...due to traffic...but even so it's a 20 minute drive from one end of Main to the other on the busiest of nights. A few events that draw crowds...but there's not one steady season that draws a TON of tourists. Charleston on the other hand is packed with tourists from Spring until late summer (those are the ones that don't know any better about the miserable muggy summer..or there for the beaches). A cruise line embarks theres every other week. That's 1300 people flooding downtown for a day, every other week. Ya can't get any more touristy than that. A cruise line wouldn't have picked Charleston as a port if it didnt draw interest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area