U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2013, 11:42 AM

93 posts, read 401,468 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone!

I am considering moving to either Greenville, SC or Charlotte, NC. I realize they are two very different cities, but I am hoping to gain more insight into the Greenville area by posting here.

About me; I am 28, single and would be able to transfer with my current job to the 29687 area of Greenville. I also plan to obtain my realtor's license so I would appreciate any insight as to what the real estate market is like in Greenville and the surrounding areas at present. I know the Charlotte real estate market is booming, but it looks like Greenville has a fairly strong real estate market as well?

What I am looking for; I would like to rent a (privately owned) 2 bedroom cottage or townhome for < $850. per month. Hopefully in an area that is somewhat close to work, but also in a nice, safe area, hopefully not too far from downtown and shopping.

You may wonder why I am interested in Greenville. I came across a an article that mentioned that Greenville, SC is one of the best places for young professionals to live and that it has an up and coming real estate market. Also I love the downtown area and it seems like there is always something fun (festival's, farmers market's, concerts, tons of cool restaurants) going on. I also like that it is within 2-3 hours of both Charlotte and Atlanta if I ever feel the desire to go to a big city. My over all impression of Charlotte is that while it is nice, It seems a bit "generic" (has many chain restaurants, big box stores) Also, traffic I've heard is horrendous in Charlotte.

Lastly, I am hoping to get recommendations for a realtor that works with rental properties and would be able to help my find a place. If anyone has any realtor suggestions, please pm me.

Thank you all in advance for the advice!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2013, 05:02 AM

1,445 posts, read 2,090,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel127 View Post
My over all impression of Charlotte is that while it is nice, It seems a bit "generic" (has many chain restaurants, big box stores) Also, traffic I've heard is horrendous in Charlotte.
Big-box stores and chain restaurants should be expected in a city with almost 2.5 million people. Charlotte is a very "new" city. Everything is big, new, shiny. The northern area is more chain-oriented, and there's plenty of non chain restaurants and other small businesses in the SouthPark and Uptown/Midtown areas. Also, Charlotte traffic varies depending on where you live.

http://centercityliving.com/townhomes/ is a great website to look for townhomes or other residential offerings in Uptown Charlotte. Prices may be a little more than you're wanting to pay due to the proximity to a large variety of offerings in Uptown Charlotte.

Old 11-03-2013, 05:27 AM

1,508 posts, read 2,704,051 times
You really should visit both cities and get your own impressions. Charlotte is so large that the different "sides" of the city are very differentiated from each other, and there are several towns of 10,000-50,000 ringed all around it.

How important is it to have a TWO bedoom place to live? You'll have trouble in Charlotte finding a two bedroom in "nice" areas for less than $900. If you really want $850 or less then you may end up living on the edge of the city, or commuting from a neaby town.

Old 11-03-2013, 06:33 AM

3,200 posts, read 4,226,136 times
These two cities are light years apart, I have lived in both places.

I would not classify Greenville as a great place for young professionals, the job market is not that large and is not growing for the position types that folks want. Salaries are considerably lower as well.

Generic is not a word I would use to describe Charlotte, there are many distinct neighborhoods that all have different characteristics. From downtown to NODA to Elizabeth, Southend, midtown, you will not see big box retailers. These areas have local restaurants, bars etc with some connected by light rail. After living in both places, Greenville is much more generic, even for a small town.

Traffic depends on where you live, I rarely have trouble. But this is a metro of roughly 2.5m with a high growth rate, especially with folks your age, there will be traffic. However, there is light rail, a large bus system and street cars (under construction).

Although my entire family is there, I would not leave Charlotte for Greenville.

Old 11-03-2013, 07:09 AM

152 posts, read 221,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSP101 View Post
These two cities are light years apart, I have lived in both places.

I would not classify Greenville as a great place for young professionals, the job market is not that large and is not growing for the position types that folks want. Salaries are considerably lower as well.

Generic is not a word I would use to describe Charlotte, there are many distinct neighborhoods that all have different characteristics. From downtown to NODA to Elizabeth, Southend, midtown, you will not see big box retailers. These areas have local restaurants, bars etc with some connected by light rail. After living in both places, Greenville is much more generic, even for a small town.

Traffic depends on where you live, I rarely have trouble. But this is a metro of roughly 2.5m with a high growth rate, especially with folks your age, there will be traffic. However, there is light rail, a large bus system and street cars (under construction).

Although my entire family is there, I would not leave Charlotte for Greenville.

And, how about for the 48 yr old that wants to move to the area. Looking a lot into Greenville but many still tell me Charlotte is great. From Ft. Laud. The winter will be an awakening ha. In the insurance field 20+ years. On budge though don't want to spend over 160K for a home, single family with yard and friendly safe hood. Thanks!

Old 11-03-2013, 07:26 AM

5,086 posts, read 7,226,433 times
It depends on what you want. You're going to get biased responses here. Greenville isn't as big as Charlotte, but it's still nice and appealing. Visit and make your own decision.

Old 11-03-2013, 11:00 AM

93 posts, read 401,468 times
Thank you to everyone that has replied. Yes I realize that I will get somewhat biased opinions here, but I would also get biased opinions in the charlotte forum as well. I do need at least a 2 bedroom home, a 1 bedroom or studio is not an option for me. If I end up in charlotte, I assumed I would end up living in the suburbs or outskirts of the city, due to my price point. I was just hoping to get information about Greenville. I really like the downtown area, and it seems like it might be more what I am looking for.

Old 11-03-2013, 11:09 AM

5,086 posts, read 7,226,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel127 View Post
Thank you to everyone that has replied. Yes I realize that I will get somewhat biased opinions here, but I would also get biased opinions in the charlotte forum as well. I do need at least a 2 bedroom home, a 1 bedroom or studio is not an option for me. If I end up in charlotte, I assumed I would end up living in the suburbs or outskirts of the city, due to my price point. I was just hoping to get information about Greenville. I really like the downtown area, and it seems like it might be more what I am looking for.
Pay us a visit. I like both cities, but Greenville is where I chose to live. I enjoy it.

Old 11-03-2013, 01:43 PM

3,200 posts, read 4,226,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ftlmom View Post
And, how about for the 48 yr old that wants to move to the area. Looking a lot into Greenville but many still tell me Charlotte is great. From Ft. Laud. The winter will be an awakening ha. In the insurance field 20+ years. On budge though don't want to spend over 160K for a home, single family with yard and friendly safe hood. Thanks!
Charlotte is great. Greenville works for some....if I did move back to SC, Greenville or Columbia would be my top picks.

But they are very different cities. Greenville is more of a town. Charlotte is much More diverse in every sense of the word from jobs to people. It s more tolerant and more interesting. Any article that says Charlotte is Full of big box while Greenville is interesting has not spent time in the cities...Greenville celebrates the opening of Cabellas while big box retail in Charlotte will not be mentioned. in fact, big box in Charlotte is often multi level like the mid town development.

For 160, you will be in suburban county or a transitional neighborhood around the city. There are terrific neighborhoods like Elizabeth, Chantilly, Plaza Midwood, NODA, Wilmore, Southend etc......that ring the downtown area. All of these are walkable and some with light rail or street car service.

In insurance, there are many options including MetLife which is currently hiring over 1,300 folks in the Balantyne area.

Old 11-03-2013, 01:56 PM

15 posts, read 21,304 times
I think Greenville is more unique. Charlotte is cool for a big town but why put up with the traffic if Greenville has everything you need. Greenville's downtown park is so amazing and the main street is so quaint.

Everything costs more in NC.

Greenville is closer to the mountains too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area