U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2013, 07:14 AM

2,206 posts, read 2,207,684 times

Advertisements

I know that property taxes have been addressed before, but it is still confusing to me. We just got our bill based on the land we are building on. I finally understand the different rates, and millage, but what I can't find an answer to is when the assessment is done. Our home will not be ready until early next year; will our next bill be based still only on the land, or on the house as well? Taxes are higher than I was expecting, and we won't be able to get the exemption based on my husband's age until the following year since we won't have been in SC for a full year until 2015. Please help! This was the part of the real estate exam I disliked the most
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2013, 07:32 AM

668 posts, read 1,274,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedBeth View Post
I know that property taxes have been addressed before, but it is still confusing to me. We just got our bill based on the land we are building on. I finally understand the different rates, and millage, but what I can't find an answer to is when the assessment is done. Our home will not be ready until early next year; will our next bill be based still only on the land, or on the house as well? Taxes are higher than I was expecting, and we won't be able to get the exemption based on my husband's age until the following year since we won't have been in SC for a full year until 2015. Please help! This was the part of the real estate exam I disliked the most
I am wondering this as well, since we are considering buying a new construction home. Looking forward to hearing some feedback.

Old 11-05-2013, 09:34 AM

6,419 posts, read 20,324,587 times
I know someone that built a home several years ago. Let me do some digging and see what I can come up with for you.

As far as I can tell and remembering when these people left our neighborhood, it appears as soon as you are able to inhabit the home, the assessment is changed.

So, you have this year's bill now. If you don't complete the home until very late in 2014 that next year's bill will be based on the land only.

Note, we got our tax bills on November 1st. They probably need at least a month to prepare those and so I'm thinking if you don't get the home ready for habitation by October you will pay only for the land next year.

My mom and dad built a home in 2006 and I know the builder had to get something like a certificate of habitability. Not sure that's the correct term to use, but hope you get the idea.

If you go to County Square they can probably tell you exactly what you need to know. They have been very helpful to my Mom dealing with Dad's "Estate" that includes the home she lives in.

Last edited by myrc60; 11-05-2013 at 09:47 AM..

Old 11-05-2013, 01:11 PM

668 posts, read 1,274,089 times
Thanks, that is very helpful!

Old 11-05-2013, 01:21 PM

99 posts, read 149,912 times
I built a home in 2012 on land I purchased in 2012.

In 2012, I was taxed for the land and only part of the construction. It appeared as if the house was assessed based only on its current condition (1/2 built at the time).

In 2013, I am now taxed based on the full value of the home + land.

Old 11-05-2013, 01:25 PM

2,033 posts, read 2,700,648 times
Not an expert on the property taxes there in this situation. My thinking is maybe the can pro-rate it?

Old 11-05-2013, 01:46 PM

2,206 posts, read 2,207,684 times
Thank you; it looks like next year we will be taxed on the full amount. At least then we will be owner occupants. The tax rate seems to be much higher than I expected.

Old 11-05-2013, 01:51 PM

2,033 posts, read 2,700,648 times
Would think they would pro-rate and maybe take of a bit for the few months in year that was not owner-occupied. Maybe you can dispute it when you get the tax bill?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area