Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2014, 11:12 PM

4,558 posts, read 5,911,587 times

Advertisements

When is Ingles going to get any of these projects done? We have been discussing them on this board for several years or more now. I am starting to have little faith in them with these projects. Seems like the interest in the Greenville market is just not there for them regarding new store development.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2014, 11:33 PM

21,003 posts, read 26,997,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vistatiger View Post
When is Ingles going to get any of these projects done? We have been discussing them on this board for several years or more now. I am starting to have little faith in them with these projects. Seems like the interest in the Greenville market is just not there for them regarding new store development.
Ingle's Markets expanded the distribution center in Black Mountain, North Carolina two years ago. New store construction was halted for several years. Having larger facilities to support additional stores, the chain is ready to grow.

The 204th store, Ingle's Markets #148, 2130 East Main Street, Lincolnton, NC 28092-3921, is opening this summer. //www.city-data.com/forum/charl...me-ingles.html is covering the store.

Ingle's Markets does not own sites in eastern or southeastern Greenville County where growth has been for the past three decades. Missing out on markets like Pelham Road, Woodruff Road, Five Forks and Old Spartanburg Road has left Bi-Lo being dominant followed by Publix.

Is Ingle's Markets turning a corner? It is opening perhaps the first of several new stores. It has acquired sites for additional stores. It is improving existing stores that can be improved without replacing them. I think it is turning a corner slowly.

Old 06-25-2014, 12:14 PM

9,362 posts, read 9,653,376 times
I would like to see a supermarket such as Ingles innovate instead of looking for ways to add space or build giant new stores. If Ingles should offer "click and collect", where a shopper would order online, then drive up and have their groceries put into their cars.

This would eliminate the need for so much square footage. The "store" would be more like a warehouse. It would be less of a chore for consumers, less time wasted plus easier for families. Consumers would spend less also, with less impulse buying. Retailers would make up for that loss in lower operating costs.

I heard that Walmart is trying such a concept in Arkansas. Some retailers such as Giant Food and Stop & Shop offer a similar service at their regular stores.

Old 06-25-2014, 01:14 PM

2,781 posts, read 3,256,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
I would like to see a supermarket such as Ingles innovate instead of looking for ways to add space or build giant new stores. If Ingles should offer "click and collect", where a shopper would order online, then drive up and have their groceries put into their cars.

This would eliminate the need for so much square footage. The "store" would be more like a warehouse. It would be less of a chore for consumers, less time wasted plus easier for families. Consumers would spend less also, with less impulse buying. Retailers would make up for that loss in lower operating costs.

I heard that Walmart is trying such a concept in Arkansas. Some retailers such as Giant Food and Stop & Shop offer a similar service at their regular stores.
Harris Teeter and Lowes Foods both offered this service for a small fee when we lived in the Raleigh area - never knew anyone that used it, though.

Old 06-25-2014, 04:29 PM

Default Ingle's Markets #40, 6505 State Park Road, Travelers Rest, SC 29690-1696

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyricamphibian View Post
If anyone is interested in knowing what properties Ingle's owns within the county, simply navigate to the Greenville County Geographic Information Systems (GIS) map page at Greenville County, South Carolina GIS and enter "ingles" in the Search box. I see two undeveloped sites (each consisting of multiple contiguous plots): one on Berea Drive at White Horse Road and one in the northeast corner of the intersection of Hwy. 25 and Hwy. 11 north of TR.
Ingle's Markets has owned two sites totaling 4.5 estimated acres at 6605 State Park Road, Travelers Rest, SC 29690-1696 since 12 December 1977. Store #40 was open approximately from 1978 to 2002.

The former Emb Tex Corporation site, 150 South End Circle, Travelers Rest, SC 29690-1652, having 19.533 estimated acres, is presently owned by Liquid Combustion Technology since 6 July 2009. It was previously owned by Travelers Rest BJB LLC on 5 April 2007. This site was once considered for Travelers Rest Crossing and has been rumored as a new Ingle's.

Old 06-26-2014, 09:46 AM

9,362 posts, read 9,653,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhitewaterVol View Post
Harris Teeter and Lowes Foods both offered this service for a small fee when we lived in the Raleigh area - never knew anyone that used it, though.
Not sure why people would not use it there. Other retailers that offer it have had good success. Some folks may rather pick their own veggies, fruit and meat. That's about 20% of your weekly shopping and could be done elsewhere...farmers market for instance.

I would gladly pay for the service if it would save me an hour or more shopping each week.

Old 06-30-2014, 03:59 PM

334 posts, read 622,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
No, I do not have any knowledge when Ingle's store #42 will undergo its improvements.

I think Ingle's has struggled in Greenville because they lack enough locations in eastern Greenville County. Woorduff Road at East Butler Road, Woodruff Road in the Five Forks area, Pelham Road near I-85 and Brushy Creek Road at Old Spartanburg Road are among several prominent areas Ingle's has not tapped.
I am not a fan of ingles and am kinda confuse as to why they are so popular, then I realized, in this part of the country, they have cornered the small town market... to bad, I miss publix, and whole foods... I h

Old 07-01-2014, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPnerd View Post
I am not a fan of ingles and am kinda confuse as to why they are so popular, then I realized, in this part of the country, they have cornered the small town market... to bad, I miss publix, and whole foods... I h
I will give Ingle's credit for locating in small towns Bi-Lo and Publix ignore. They dominate very well outside Greenville, northeast Georgia and western North Carolina.

Old 07-02-2014, 02:35 PM

5,125 posts, read 7,249,271 times
I think they also have Ingle's stores around Knoxville, TN.

Old 07-02-2014, 03:20 PM

4,558 posts, read 5,911,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
I think they also have Ingle's stores around Knoxville, TN.
Yes but not really in the city. Kroger and Food City dominate directly in the city and Ingles has a few stores on the outskirts as well as Publix now. Publix is about to open a downtown store near the UT campus around August.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area