Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2014, 07:44 AM

2 posts, read 2,888 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are looking to move into the Greenville area. We have 2 boys (age 4 and 6) and were wondering about which areas and schools to look for. We're looking for a house in the country but not more than 30-40 minutes from Greenville. A good school is very important to us though. We're looking for honest opinions and fair critique. Thank you!

Last edited by jimbalaya007; 01-29-2014 at 08:23 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2014, 07:17 PM

2,781 posts, read 3,310,102 times
This question gets asked quite a bit on here. One thing I would advise would be to go back and read some other responses to similar questions in the past.

A 30-40 minute search circle around Greenville will give you quite a few options. Schools in SC in general are below the national average. Schools in the Greenville area range from awful to excellent.

One resource that might be helpful is the SC school report cards: https://ed.sc.gov/data/report-cards/ This isn't an end-all-be-all, but it will help you get some idea of school performance over time. You will want to combine that with other research and talking to people in the area.

Greenville County is one large school system. Schools within Greenville County run the range from awful to excellent. I would recommend looking at the best high schools and then backtracking to make sure the middle and elementary schools that feed in are good. I'd recommend this because more of the elementary schools are good than the high schools IMO. Some of the best (good to excelent) High Schools in Greenville County IMO include: Blue Ridge, Riverside, Eastside, Wade Hampton, Mann, and Mauldin.

Pickens County is one large school district. The only high school in Pickens County in your search radius would be Easley High, and it tends to be a good school.

Spartanburg County is divided into several districts. Spartanburg District 05 has Byrnes High which tends to be good to excellent, and would be ~20-25 mins to Greenville. Some of the other Spartanburg Districts are also good and might be on the edge of the 30-40 minute range.

Anderson County is divided into several districts. The district in NE Anderson County (Anderson District 1) would be within you driving radius. Anderson District 1 has three high schools. Wren High school tends to be very good to excellent. Palmetto High School tends to be good as well. The third high school - Powdersville just opened 2 years ago so it is hard to judge it long term. It was split off from Wren due to growth, so I would expect Powdersville to perform similar to Wren. When the district opened the new high school, they staffed it with some new teachers, and also many teachers from the other middle and high schools within the district. Our daughter goes to Powdersville and we've been very happy with the school so far (we've been here almost 3 years now).

Hope some of that is helpful.

Old 02-02-2014, 10:46 PM

2,309 posts, read 3,861,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VolstuckinNC View Post
This question gets asked quite a bit on here. One thing I would advise would be to go back and read some other responses to similar questions in the past.

A 30-40 minute search circle around Greenville will give you quite a few options. Schools in SC in general are below the national average. Schools in the Greenville area range from awful to excellent.

One resource that might be helpful is the SC school report cards: https://ed.sc.gov/data/report-cards/ This isn't an end-all-be-all, but it will help you get some idea of school performance over time. You will want to combine that with other research and talking to people in the area.

Greenville County is one large school system. Schools within Greenville County run the range from awful to excellent. I would recommend looking at the best high schools and then backtracking to make sure the middle and elementary schools that feed in are good. I'd recommend this because more of the elementary schools are good than the high schools IMO. Some of the best (good to excelent) High Schools in Greenville County IMO include: Blue Ridge, Riverside, Eastside, Wade Hampton, Mann, and Mauldin.

Pickens County is one large school district. The only high school in Pickens County in your search radius would be Easley High, and it tends to be a good school.

Spartanburg County is divided into several districts. Spartanburg District 05 has Byrnes High which tends to be good to excellent, and would be ~20-25 mins to Greenville. Some of the other Spartanburg Districts are also good and might be on the edge of the 30-40 minute range.

Anderson County is divided into several districts. The district in NE Anderson County (Anderson District 1) would be within you driving radius. Anderson District 1 has three high schools. Wren High school tends to be very good to excellent. Palmetto High School tends to be good as well. The third high school - Powdersville just opened 2 years ago so it is hard to judge it long term. It was split off from Wren due to growth, so I would expect Powdersville to perform similar to Wren. When the district opened the new high school, they staffed it with some new teachers, and also many teachers from the other middle and high schools within the district. Our daughter goes to Powdersville and we've been very happy with the school so far (we've been here almost 3 years now).

Hope some of that is helpful.

take whatever those on here say about schools with an enormous grain of salt. 10 high schools in GCSD received "excellent" ratings this past school year so tossing out the above simply shows how shallow school research goes sometimes. all of the above possess money and or the right skin tone or in some cases both therefore they equate to (good to excellent).

what exactly makes the above schools good to excellent?

Old 02-03-2014, 07:51 PM

2,781 posts, read 3,310,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenvillebuckeye View Post
take whatever those on here say about schools with an enormous grain of salt. 10 high schools in GCSD received "excellent" ratings this past school year so tossing out the above simply shows how shallow school research goes sometimes. all of the above possess money and or the right skin tone or in some cases both therefore they equate to (good to excellent).

what exactly makes the above schools good to excellent?
I think the ones I listed are the only ones with an excellent rating the last 3 years in a row. I was honestly just trying to point out some of the high schools that consistently do well in Greenville County. If I was just listing areas with people of a certain skin tone, there are several schools that would be on the list that are not and vice versa.

Of course, there should be a lot more going into choosing a school than test scores on a state school report card, something I pointed out in my post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area