Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2014, 07:05 AM

607 posts, read 1,403,105 times

Advertisements

Hi all-
Is there a hotline or anything like that in Greenville County where one can report an aggressive driver? This morning I was taking the kids to school and a car sped up behind us (we did not unsafely pull out in front of it). The car then honked the horn, passed us on the left through a double yellow line, and went in front of us. As soon as he did that, he had to slow down because we were on Tanner Road, and that is often stop-and-go while waiting to get to the signal at Butler.
It was very unsafe and not necessary. I am appalled by this behavior and was able to write down the tag number, make and model of the car.
Is there a hotline or some way that I can report this person?
I know in other areas this exists, and I have seen hotlines to report littering, but I can't find anywhere to report an unsafe and aggressive driver.
Many thanks in advance to anyone who can suggest something.
~Kimmie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2014, 09:15 AM

672 posts, read 1,418,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimmie View Post
Hi all-
Is there a hotline or anything like that in Greenville County where one can report an aggressive driver? This morning I was taking the kids to school and a car sped up behind us (we did not unsafely pull out in front of it). The car then honked the horn, passed us on the left through a double yellow line, and went in front of us. As soon as he did that, he had to slow down because we were on Tanner Road, and that is often stop-and-go while waiting to get to the signal at Butler.
It was very unsafe and not necessary. I am appalled by this behavior and was able to write down the tag number, make and model of the car.
Is there a hotline or some way that I can report this person?
I know in other areas this exists, and I have seen hotlines to report littering, but I can't find anywhere to report an unsafe and aggressive driver.
Many thanks in advance to anyone who can suggest something.
~Kimmie
I've seen much worse around here. Unless you can capture the event on video, I'm not sure there's any thing else that can be done except to request extra patrols or speed traps. Just be thankful that the driver went around you. Nothing irritates me more than tailgaters, especially those who refuse to pass (even in passing zones).

Old 11-21-2014, 09:32 AM

21,023 posts, read 27,262,444 times
In South Carolina, dialing *47 connects you to South Carolina Highway Patrol. Whatever county your phone number is based in is connected to the troop's dispatch stationed in that county. Specify what county you are calling from, the area where the call is coming from, and be specific on what happened.

As one side of Tanner Road is in the city of Mauldin, Greenville County Sheriff's Office should have jurisdiction control.

I have seen an increase of aggressive driving not only in Greenville County. After I turn left onto a state highway, I do not deserve to be honked at by another driver appearing out of nowhere doing 80 miles per hour in a 45 mile per hour zone.

Old 11-21-2014, 09:43 AM

145 posts, read 174,794 times
I was on 385 the other morning going towards downtown. I had a guy behind me that whenever anyone would merge onto the interstate or tried to move from the right lane to the middle lane, would honk his horn and flash his lights. I was able to eventually get over without having to slow down, but even when I was going to the middle lane near Woodruff, he tried to fly past me and honked his horns and flashed his lights.

I will admit I'm as frustrated as anyone with the morning bottleneck going towards downtown, but actively trying to cause accidents isn't going to help anything. If I wasn't driving my daughter to school, I would have just followed the guy and confronted him whenever he parked.

Old 11-21-2014, 10:53 AM

21,023 posts, read 27,262,444 times
Another episode I had with an aggressive driver occurred over 18 months ago. I was making a right turn at a signalized intersection leaving a shopping center. A driver of a Chevrolet Corvette behind me honked his horn wanting me to make a right turn on a red light as traffic on the right of way was not clear. When the light turned green and traffic cleared, I made the right turn. The Chevrolet Corvette got into the inside lane beside me, attempted to get into my lane and run me off the road several times, sped up, got in front of me, and almost came to a complete stop trying to pull off a swoop and squat. Fortunately, I found the entrance ramp to an interstate in time, and I got out of a bad situation.

Old 11-22-2014, 05:15 AM

45 posts, read 82,533 times
Garmin Dash Cam 20: Amazon.com : Garmin Dash Cam 20 Standalone Driving Recorder : GPS & Navigation

Just installed 2 of these. Report and offer to send video. =)

I do wish slow traffic would keep in the right lane. PLEASE!!!

Old 11-22-2014, 08:53 AM

607 posts, read 1,403,105 times
Thanks for the replies. It helps to at least blow off some steam with my fellow local drivers. I just don't understand the mentality of some of those folks on the road.

Old 11-22-2014, 10:43 AM

8,963 posts, read 8,928,952 times
Welcome to my world (in Central FL). Its just when a lot of ppl with aggressive nature and attitudes moves to an area, it happens. It sucks, I guess there's just not a whole lot you can do, but I know how frustrating it can be, and trust me, in FL it happened a long time ago.

Old 11-24-2014, 05:26 AM

9,503 posts, read 9,824,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradlm View Post
Garmin Dash Cam 20: Amazon.com : Garmin Dash Cam 20 Standalone Driving Recorder : GPS & Navigation

Just installed 2 of these. Report and offer to send video. =)

I do wish slow traffic would keep in the right lane. PLEASE!!!
Dash cams are huge in Russia where insurance is very expensive if you don't have "proof" the other guy caused the accident.

Curious how state law would use your video footage to enforce a moving violation. Anyone know?

Old 11-24-2014, 07:25 AM

6,896 posts, read 22,533,060 times
Now hear this: I will never ever risk getting a ticket and a fine for any one of you on the roads anywhere!

There is a fire station on E. Butler just before you hit Main St. in Mauldin. The day OP posted this, traffic was moving slowly through all of Mauldin and backed up waiting for the light at Main, I stopped behind the big X in front of the fire station waiting for traffic to progress far enough so that I wouldn't be blocking the station's entrance. Believe you me, if that fire truck needs to go somewhere I'm not going to be the one blocking him. But lo and behold, horns are honking, cars are going around me just to block that entrance. After four cars passed me, the light turned green and I was able to proceed through the intersection, and, I might add, quicker than those that thought they were getting ahead of me. I hope the next time, there is a cop sitting there waiting for you.

Want to sit on railroad tracks when traffic is backed up? Yup, you're an idiot too! Go try that in Chicago and see how long you live! It doesn't matter that the tracks are barely used down here, they are still a danger if they have any active operations at all.

We spend so much of our lives driving yet this state thinks drivers education for our students is a waste of time. Its time we rethink that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area