Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2014, 01:18 PM

1,413 posts, read 2,464,010 times

Advertisements

My house is listed again and we are looking around Greenville once more. I was wondering what Spartanburg is like and if it is worth looking into as well.

How does he compare to Greenville in terms of schools, housing, crime, etc? Are there certain areas worth looking into . . . ??? If so can you make recommendations of areas, neighborhoods or school districts.

Looking for pros and cons . . . want this to be our "last" move, thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2014, 06:30 PM

21,020 posts, read 27,245,104 times
Spartanburg County has seven school districts located geographically throughout the county compared to Greenville County's singe school district. District One covers Landrum and Inman (Chapman) area schools. District Two covers Boiling Springs and Chesnee area schools. District Three covers Cowpens and Pacolet area schools (Broome). District Four covers Woodruff area schools. District Five covers Duncan area schools (Byrnes). District Six covers western Spartanburg area schools (Dorman). District Seven covers eastern Spartanburg area schools (Spartanburg).

In the City of Spartanburg, crime tends to be higher along South Church Street and Howard Street.

What are you looking for in the City or County of Spartanburg?

Old 01-20-2014, 12:02 PM

I'm not sure Carolina Knight, I just know that from what I see online that I can get more for my money there, but .... I'd rather get less for my money if being in Greenville is a better location, and investment in the long run.

Old 01-20-2014, 08:09 PM

Do you prefer to be closer to a major city (i.e. City of Spartanburg), in smaller towns (cities of Inman, Landrum, Woodruff, towns of Campobello, Duncan, Lyman, Pacolet) or in rural areas?

Old 01-21-2014, 10:58 AM

I'm in a very rural town now, nearest big city charlotte is 72 miles, and smaller city hickory nc is 30 miles from me. So although I do like a nice smaller town, I'd rather be closer to a big city and good medical care. My parents both 82 will be living with me and my two kids from April through Ocotober, so we need good medical care/ambulance service for them.

My son is finishing up his Associates Degree, and looking to go to school to get his Bachelors when we get there. He has a taste of working now, so he wants to live at home with me, go to school and work as well.

My youngest is 11. She has no friends here because we are so rural, the schools are terrible in our area, so she is homeschooled. For her I am looking for a nice middle school, or if necessary a private/Christian school for 7th and 8th grade.

We have no family other than my parents. We were hoping to live somewhere where we'd have good neighbors, a good recreation department, my son likes to play baseball and softball on men's leagues, and my daughter likes softball.

As for me, I just want something that is good for my parents and kids needs.

Old 01-21-2014, 02:20 PM

I would advise aiming for the Town of Duncan or the Poplar Springs area.

Spartanburg County District Five schools are good. As for private schools, I do not know any offhand to recommend.

Your nearest medical facilities are Spartanburg Regional in Spartanburg and Pelham and Greenville Health System in Greer.

You will be nearby Tyger River Park near Reidville. The park has several dedicated baseball and softball fields.

Old 01-22-2014, 11:42 AM

Thanks Carolina, I will check into those areas. You are someone who has always given the time to post and you have helped me greatly, thank you, Maria

Old 01-22-2014, 12:49 PM

2,781 posts, read 3,292,662 times
You might want to look up what local colleges offer to see how they align with what your son wants to get a degree in if he wants to stay at home. That could have some impact on where in the larger area you might want to live.

Old 01-22-2014, 10:21 PM

Volstuck good point thankbyou I need to take that into consideration

Old 01-31-2014, 10:22 PM

26 posts, read 113,168 times
Spartanburg has several colleges that your son might want to look into. I don't have a lot of information on the schools but you have Wofford, USC Upstate, Spartanburg Methodist College, Spartanburg Community College, and Converse College. As far as Carolina Knight giving information on crime I'll second what he said about Howard Street. The only area I personally believe that is worse for crime in Spartanburg is Highland which is just behind The Beacon Restaurant. If you would like to stay in a rural area you might want to look North of Spartanburg towards Landrum. Landrum is a beautiful rural town and is still a short drive from Spartanburg (about 25-30 minutes). You could also choose an area like Inman which is still a somewhat rural area but has a little more of a city feel to it than Landrum. Campobello is in between Landrum and Inman and is a very rural town much like Landrum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area