Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2014, 02:03 PM

1,413 posts, read 2,463,787 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
From the research I've been doing, I've heard good reviews for Wade Hampton.
Thanks Becky, have you heard anything about Eastside?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2014, 06:09 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,057,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifesigns64 View Post
Unfortunately not yet.

Old 02-28-2014, 08:55 AM

21,020 posts, read 27,239,632 times
Quote:
What is the opinion of Wade Hampton . . .several places we are looking into the schoosl are Wade Hampton and Eastide? Anyone here negatives or any comments on these two schools?
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
Unfortunately not yet.
Eastside is a good school. It is a AAA school. Closest schools like Wade Hampton (through the relocation of the Fine Arts Center) and Riverside (through growth) are AAAA.

For academics, I recall honors, AP and college credit classes being offered. An IB program was not offered during my time, nor do I know if one is currently offered now. Class sections were large.

For athletics, the facilities are improving. For sport programs, the best high school wrestling program in the State of South Carolina is at Eastside. They recently won their second consecutive state championship and 22 consecutive region championships. Football has struggled over the past decade with only one winning season with the lone playoff appearance.

Old 02-28-2014, 09:04 AM

11,706 posts, read 24,785,933 times
Quote:
Eastside is where I went. It's a great school in Taylors that was renovated and expanded a few years ago.

Old 03-01-2014, 07:59 AM

2,691 posts, read 1,666,736 times
I wonder how the new Penny Fisher middle school will turn out to be. My daughter got in through the open slot change in assignment and we are excited for her to start the 6th grade there in 2014-2015.

Old 03-01-2014, 09:02 AM

1,998 posts, read 4,608,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamban View Post
I wonder how the new Penny Fisher middle school will turn out to be. My daughter got in through the open slot change in assignment and we are excited for her to start the 6th grade there in 2014-2015.
The new Fisher Middle School looks amazing - in fact, it's one of the most impressive schools I've seen in sometime - I'm hoping their small catchment area will expand with time and include some of the Parkins Mill neighborhoods - I'm currently zoned for Beck

Old 03-01-2014, 10:08 AM

2,691 posts, read 1,666,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aosmith View Post
All the schools are fine.

School scores only reflect the student body demographic, not teachers. Greenville High will have lowest school score b/c the kids are from poor families in the city and not motivated to go to college.

Greenville High is kind of weird because they put huge pictures of their football players on their team bus. Kind of idolize these kids.
And that is one of the advantages of this new school. The majority of the students will be from the 5 relief middle school areas and the open slot assignment. Only 90 students of the 350 or so 6th graders are from catchment area. That means most of the parents are committed ones who are willing to drive their kids from different areas of the county to improve their child's education and that will mean improved student scores.

Except for regular PE they don't place extra emphasis on sports like football. And I agree with it.

Old 03-02-2014, 07:10 PM

2,309 posts, read 3,849,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aosmith View Post
All the schools are fine.

School scores only reflect the student body demographic, not teachers. Greenville High will have lowest school score b/c the kids are from poor families in the city and not motivated to go to college.

Greenville High is kind of weird because they put huge pictures of their football players on their team bus. Kind of idolize these kids.

when i first arrived here 10 years ago greenville high aside from riverside seemed to be regarded from everyone i spoke with as kind of a diamond in the rough. both academically and athletically. in the last 2 years both have gone downhill from what i've seen and heard. not 100% sure why this has happened. i know the socioeconomics over there on vardry have changed in the last 5 or 6 years but it shouldn't have had that much of an impact. it should be pointed out that GHS is still a very good school.

in regards to the statement in bold type i know that yes the demos have changed in the last few years but there is still plenty of "old money" coursing through the veins of GHS and plenty of the stereotypical white preppy lacrosse playing / rugby playing kids over that way that attend GHS. lets not make GHS out to be southside or carolina.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area