Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2014, 08:07 AM

235 posts, read 405,374 times

Advertisements

I posted this question as a reply on another thread but I wanted to get more answers this way. My wife and I are looking seriously at a two-bedroom condominium at the Brio for our son who will be starting medical school this July at Greenville. We toured the unit for sale yesterday and were impressed with not only the building itself but also its location centrally between downtown and the hospital. However, the asking price seems unusually low compared with other similarly equipped units in the downtown and surrounding areas.. Since my wife and I are both naturally skeptical, we're wondering if this is really a great deal or if there's some other issue about this complex that we just don't know about. Could anyone with more information about the Brio please weigh in? Your input is much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2014, 09:54 AM

HOA fees are $264 per month. How does this compare?

Old 03-14-2014, 10:30 AM

241 posts, read 386,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daddo61 View Post
HOA fees are $264 per month. How does this compare?
at current interest rates, an extra $264/month will make your mortgage payments the same as a house (without HOA dues) worth $50k more.

Old 03-14-2014, 10:47 AM

Newfuprof, thanks for the calculation. Normally such logic would apply, but in our case a home is not a consideration. Our son is going to be immersed in medical school and doesn't want or need the usual headaches that we all know are associated with home ownership. Apart from the comparison to a house mortgage, what are your thoughts about the actual HOA payment versus other similar properties in the area? From what I can gather thus far, it doesn't seem out of the statistical norm. Thanks.

Old 03-14-2014, 11:11 AM

241 posts, read 386,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daddo61 View Post
Newfuprof, thanks for the calculation. Normally such logic would apply, but in our case a home is not a consideration. Our son is going to be immersed in medical school and doesn't want or need the usual headaches that we all know are associated with home ownership. Apart from the comparison to a house mortgage, what are your thoughts about the actual HOA payment versus other similar properties in the area? From what I can gather thus far, it doesn't seem out of the statistical norm. Thanks.
Our townouse complex's HOA fee is $100 for landscaping, pest control, annual powerwashing of siding, insurance on shared structures, and a few other things. Mulberry at Pinckney townhomes' HOA fee is $75 and covers the same stuff. I assume the Brio has other amenities (pool/fitness center/lounge) so $264 seems a bit high but probably worth it.

Old 03-14-2014, 04:21 PM

807 posts, read 1,784,375 times
Did you ask your Realtor to pull the comps for you. Maybe they are just motivated to sell.

Old 03-16-2014, 10:57 AM

98 posts, read 218,134 times
I am a member of the board at the Brio as well as a 6 year resident (owner). I can tell you that I looked at several other options when I was first looking for a place in 2008. One of the other properties nearby properties I looked at was called the Davenport building and their HOA was $250 a month. The Brio HOA is based on square footage per unit so the smaller units pay a lower HOA and the larger units pay a higher HOA. The unit you are looking at must be the same square footage as mine because $264 is what I am paying. When compared to the $250 at the Davenport, the Brio has a gated entrance with security cameras, a saltwater pool, and significant landscaping compared to other places. We make the budget available to owners and I can tell you that the money is being put to good use - this was one of my concerns initially as well, but having been here for a reasonable amount of time we have seen a lot of improvements. With regards to the pricing of the units, they are significantly less expensive than things that are in established areas such as McBee station. This is because we have been in a transitional area of near-downtown for the last decade or so. This is all changing because they just recently did a 5.1 million dollar project to redo Church street and as a result of this they are now building a luxury restuarant-retail-apartment center directly adjacent to us. This will wipe out what is the last "transitional" homes which are on Pearl street down from the Brio. If you google "south ridge living Greenville SC" you will find a website (southridgeliving) that has more information. When I bought in 2008 this type of revitalization was imminent but the economic crash put it off for half a decade. Long story short the underpricing of these units is going to be going away very soon. Please feel free to PM me and I will be happy to answer any and all questions about living here and the area in general.

Old 03-16-2014, 03:37 PM

896 posts, read 1,139,719 times
Are you saying that Southridge is going to be on the corner of Pearl and Church which is DIRECTLY across the street from the Brio? Currently, it is just an asphalt lot with some trees. Thanks. ETA: I saw your other post...Southridge will be at Church and University Ridge. Are there plans for the lot in which I spoke of in my earlier post?

Old 03-16-2014, 07:05 PM

98 posts, read 218,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lv2trvl View Post
Are you saying that Southridge is going to be on the corner of Pearl and Church which is DIRECTLY across the street from the Brio? Currently, it is just an asphalt lot with some trees. Thanks. ETA: I saw your other post...Southridge will be at Church and University Ridge. Are there plans for the lot in which I spoke of in my earlier post?
If you are saying it's an asphalt lot, I'm guessing you haven't been by in the last 2 weeks - it has been completely leveled and they are doing grading work right now. There are big earth movers and construction equipment working every day out there now. The property is bound by Pearl, Church, University Ridge, and the Greenville High Stadium.

Update: My wife did tell me that technically the small lot directly in front of the Brio is trees and asphalt (has a husband ever been right about anything?) but yes, that section is getting incorporated into the development also.

Last edited by striketeamvic; 03-16-2014 at 07:11 PM.. Reason: Fact Checking

Old 03-17-2014, 03:48 AM

896 posts, read 1,139,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by striketeamvic View Post
If you are saying it's an asphalt lot, I'm guessing you haven't been by in the last 2 weeks - it has been completely leveled and they are doing grading work right now. There are big earth movers and construction equipment working every day out there now. The property is bound by Pearl, Church, University Ridge, and the Greenville High Stadium.

Update: My wife did tell me that technically the small lot directly in front of the Brio is trees and asphalt (has a husband ever been right about anything?) but yes, that section is getting incorporated into the development also.

Thanks for the info. It is good to know that area is getting incorporated into the development of Southridge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area