Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2014, 01:12 AM

144 posts, read 140,670 times

Advertisements

some questions:
can I buy a car without US DL?
how fast can I get the US DL?
how many questions for the written test? is it on the pc?
what about the driving test. what do I need to do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2014, 10:21 PM

114 posts, read 268,753 times
scdmvonline.com will answer many of your questions.

Sounds like you are an international customer (non-citizen). If that's the case go to the "forms and manuals" page of scdmvonline.com and look up "MV-94." That tells you the requirements for internationals.

Whether you can get a license depends on several factors--especially which country your license is in.

As for registering a car, you can do that as long as you have the title and correct paperwork, a passport, a paid property tax receipt, and proof of residency in SC (again, refer to the MV-94).

Finally, be aware that only certain DMV's process DL's for international customers (you can, however, register a car at any dmv).

Old 03-22-2014, 07:37 AM

thanks! will check it out!

any advise reg. the tests?

Old 03-22-2014, 01:53 PM

if you have to take the knowledge test, study the manual. You can download it at scdmvonline.com, or you can go in and buy an actual book ($5 plus tax).

If you must take the road test, just know the rules of the road and be smart (obey traffic laws, speed, etc.). Also, be able to do the tested skills, like the three-point turn and parallel parking.

Old 03-22-2014, 05:38 PM

Did not see any parallel parking spots in Greenville, is there anywhere a test drive area?

Old 03-22-2014, 05:42 PM

423 posts, read 902,944 times
They have parallel parking spaces where they test (and you can practice) at the local DMV's. There are lots of parallel parking spaces on the side streets in downtown Greenville. Also, when you attend parties at private homes you usually have to parallel park on the neighborhood streets.

Old 03-22-2014, 06:54 PM

Proof of identity
Proof of birthplace
Proof of residency
Social Security Card or Letter from the Social Security Administration stating that the applicant is not allowed to work in the United States
Automobile insurance information (if applying for a license)

So far so good, passport, birth cert., SSN, and will show my visa as proof of recidency, but what about the insurance? Will have a rental car and thought I can only buy a car when I have a US DL?

Old 03-23-2014, 03:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by castaway83 View Post
Proof of identity

So far so good, passport, birth cert., SSN, and will show my visa as proof of recidency, but what about the insurance? Will have a rental car and thought I can only buy a car when I have a US DL?
OFFICIAL dmv policy is that your car must be insured. If you don't bring the proof of insurance with you, that should not stop us from testing--however, if there is a problem on the test (accident, check by law enforcement, etc.), then it's on you.

Having said that, there's always a bit of variance from office to office...and some won't take you out unless you bring in insurance.

A person usually cannot rent a car unless it's insured. The DMV doesn't care if the car is in YOUR name or not...but simply that the registration is valid, and that it is supposed to be insured.

Old 03-23-2014, 09:15 AM

How much time is between written test and driving test and if I fail how long do I have to wait to re-take the test?

Old 03-23-2014, 09:03 PM

If South Carolina counts your previous driving experience and you have to test, you can do it all in one day. If SC treats you like a first-time permit holder, you must hold it for 6 months before taking the road test.

You can take the knowledge test once daily (that is, if you fail the test one day, you can take it the next).

Failing the road test usually means waiting either one or two weeks (depending on if you've had a license before). If you fail three times, you must wait 60 days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
View detailed profiles of: