Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2013, 11:02 AM

11,714 posts, read 24,860,217 times

Advertisements

Cool: Upstate city makes 20 most dangerous US cities list | Spartanburg/Cherokee News - WYFF Home
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2013, 12:48 PM

179 posts, read 330,011 times
Well its no Chicago...

Old 01-10-2013, 02:32 PM

8,267 posts, read 13,431,826 times
Thanks for this... I will take Inkster, MI and Harvey, IL off my list of cities to consider moving to.....

On a serious note... I had no clue Spartanburg was THAT 'bad'

Old 01-10-2013, 02:36 PM

5,496 posts, read 8,355,711 times
The data is skewed. They are basing it on a population of 37k+. Spartanburg is really much larger. The strict annexation laws hurt us in South Carolina.

Old 01-10-2013, 02:52 PM

5,680 posts, read 11,573,014 times
I've been downtown S'burg for lunch a couple times in the past month or so. It had been a while since the last time I was there, and I was pleasantly surprised. Wayfinder signs, nice streetscape, bikes for rent, lots of busy restaurants.

We really have to look at the crime stats to see whether they indicate truly widespread, random violence or are mostly those "crime of passion" or drug deals gone wrong kinds of situations.

Old 01-11-2013, 07:52 AM

1,280 posts, read 1,400,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcliffe View Post
The data is skewed. They are basing it on a population of 37k+. Spartanburg is really much larger. The strict annexation laws hurt us in South Carolina.
This is my thinking too. Spartanburg County has roughly 300k residents. The city of Spartanburg has roughly 40k. The crime map on that page, from the website, includes lots of areas outside the city limits. They may be taking crime data from the overall county, or a significant percentage of it, and applying it to a small pocket of the population.

Old 01-11-2013, 10:45 AM

826 posts, read 1,131,340 times
Looks like the article linked by the OP was updated today. City of Spartanburg is planning to sue neighborhood scout for misrepresentation of data. As others have said on this thread. They are including crime stats for areas outside the city of Spartanburg, but only using the city population. It wouldn't surprise me if someone at neighborhood scout doesn't understand that not all Spartanburg addresses are actually in the city limits.

It also looks like they did the same thing for Greenville. Showing a population of 60,000 but their map definitely includes parts of Greenville that are not actually in the city limits. It makes you wonder how accurate the overall list is. I'm guessing Spartanburg isn't going to be the only city filing a lawsuit.

Old 01-11-2013, 11:45 AM

1,847 posts, read 2,775,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmike View Post
It also looks like they did the same thing for Greenville. Showing a population of 60,000 but their map definitely includes parts of Greenville that are not actually in the city limits. It makes you wonder how accurate the overall list is. I'm guessing Spartanburg isn't going to be the only city filing a lawsuit.
It sounds like they got confused over cities / counties with the same name. So (as it used to be so popular here to say about top N lists) - the ballot box was 'stuffed'.

Old 01-11-2013, 12:15 PM

115 posts, read 265,352 times
Sounds like they need to go back to school and take another basic statistics class! If people want factual crime statistics and not ones from biased groups they need to check the FBI's UCR reports. Overall violent crime in the Southern region of the U.S. and the nation as a whole is down. The reason that people think that violent crime is up is the proliferation of social media and the ability to report across broader avenues. Before taking several of my classes in criminal justice I used to believe that crime overall was skyrocketing, data on the FBI's website shows otherwise! If you want to check factual crime rates by year, region, and city here is the link.
FBI — Uniform Crime Reports

Old 01-11-2013, 08:17 PM

21,033 posts, read 27,363,696 times
I do not think the City of Spartanburg to be completely dangerous. The city does have pocket areas that are unsafe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area