Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2006, 02:44 PM

35 posts, read 254,910 times

Advertisements

What are the differences between Greenville and Spartanburg? Any? Are they comparable in the feeling of "size" (i.e., number of people out and about, things to do, etc.)

Then, is there a comparison of the school districts? I noticed both of them have Blue Ribbon Schools, but Spartanburg might have more?

Thanks for any help you can give!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2006, 09:57 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,857,597 times
Both areas are really interconnected and beginning to bleed more and more into each other, but still have their own separate identities. Greenville and its immediate surrounding areas is about twice as large as Spartanburg. While Spartanburg doesn't do too bad (it has the better college scene), the vast majority of the amenities found in the Upstate will be in Greenville.

I'm not so sure about school districts however.

Old 10-24-2006, 07:46 AM

Interesting. I would have thought Greenville would have had the larger college scene, so thanks for that tidbit!

It looks like we have some time to consider, since we won't all be moving at the same time. I just hate buying a house before knowing a whole lot.

Thanks for the help!

Old 10-24-2006, 08:25 PM

286 posts, read 1,477,476 times
To me, Greenville is much more progressive and is clearly flourishing. Spartanburg is growing too, but still has a since that it is struggling. If that makes any sense....

Old 10-25-2006, 03:16 PM

*whew*. Someone finally used the words "progressive" and "Greenville" in the same sentence! That's a relief. I'm a big supporter of diversity and open thought.

Another question: Can anyone explain why HurryHome.com would rank Greenville's risk for crime as higher than the national average???

Old 10-27-2006, 07:51 AM

286 posts, read 1,477,476 times
I think, as with any city, some areas are higher risk than others. Greenville's "crime" doesn't affect my day to day life in any fashion. If you stay out of bad areas and don't get involved in crime potential activities, then the problems will not be a part of your life.

In general broad brush, the west side of Greenville (Berea) is an area we try to stay away from. East side is the newer, "professional" side of town. Again, these are very broad brush statements that don't apply in all cases.

Old 10-27-2006, 01:30 PM

Okay, now you get to laugh. I grew up right outside of Detroit! =P

So, crime doesn't necessarily scare me, but I've also managed to spend 35+ years in this town and not (knock on wood!) have anything happen to me, outside of a home robbery when I was in elementary school.

Of course, we happen to now live in a suburb where -- oops! -- we forget to close our doors in the summer when we go for a bike ride. No one even notices. But, yes, we have a solid neighborhood with people who look out for each other. And, guaranteed, three streets over it's not as cool to leave your house doors wide open.

So, with that said, based on the data research that I've been poking around, it seems to support the more "broad brush" statements. Not that I'll stay away from the West side of town, but I'm more likely to purchase a home on the East side, just because I prefer the security of knowing that if I forget to secure stuff, it's not an immediate invitation.

Thanks for all your help! We're certainly going to enjoy our relocation!

Old 10-30-2006, 07:47 AM

548 posts, read 1,979,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingmom248 View Post
Okay, now you get to laugh. I grew up right outside of Detroit! =P

So, crime doesn't necessarily scare me, but I've also managed to spend 35+ years in this town and not (knock on wood!) have anything happen to me, outside of a home robbery when I was in elementary school.

Of course, we happen to now live in a suburb where -- oops! -- we forget to close our doors in the summer when we go for a bike ride. No one even notices. But, yes, we have a solid neighborhood with people who look out for each other. And, guaranteed, three streets over it's not as cool to leave your house doors wide open.

So, with that said, based on the data research that I've been poking around, it seems to support the more "broad brush" statements. Not that I'll stay away from the West side of town, but I'm more likely to purchase a home on the East side, just because I prefer the security of knowing that if I forget to secure stuff, it's not an immediate invitation.

Thanks for all your help! We're certainly going to enjoy our relocation!
Lived here 15 years and have had no problems. Car breakins can be a problem so as always never leave anything in plain site for temptations and always lock the vehicle even in your drive. Most of the crime occurs between people who "know" each other. That is, they are involved in things that they shouldn't be. In fact a recent cold case murder was solved and it turned out to be the ex-husband. So, if your family is sane and you're not involved in illegal activities I think you'll be just fine ;-)

Since you live(d) in Detroit I'll bet you find it's much more peaceful here.

Old 10-30-2006, 09:19 AM

Oh, ugh. Yes, I'd tend to call my family "sane". ;-)

I'll just have to get used to locking the car. haha! I live outside of Detroit, don't lock my doors, don't lock my car, and keep all kinds of stuff in it! Well, I shouldn't do that no matter where I live, so I just have to fess up to reality.

Thanks for the info! I feel so much better about making the move. That was probably the last concern I had...

Now, on to sellign my home!

Thank you for all the info and reassurance.

Old 10-30-2006, 06:05 PM

13 posts, read 69,468 times
Its amazing to find a website like this -- across the nation. I am here in Newark DE and going to tell you about a property that Jane Boling of R/E Max Professionals has to offer in Charlotte SC -- "It is a Gem" -- The owner was the Superintendent of the Greenville Schools and turned me on to schoolmatters.com to rate schools and it does matter you would be surprised as to the difference in Math and English proficiencies from school to school. He can give you all you need to know about Greenville because both he and his wife are extremely knowledgeable. Best of Luck -- if more information is needed email me.

Norm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area