Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2019, 09:17 PM
NDL NDL started this thread

4,518 posts, read 5,646,444 times

Advertisements

I grew up as an Italian Catholic, in a predominantly Jewish area. The Jewish people that I grew up with, welcomed me into their homes and institutions, and, noteworthy was it that I was treated no differently than any of the other children (even though I was the only Catholic kid in the bunch ).

Okay...enough of the introduction...REAL Jewish delicatessen FOOD is coming to nearby Asheville!:

The HardLox Jewish Food and Heritage Festival - Home

I could hardly believe my eyes !

I plan on relocating to the area in the near future, but if my schedule permits, I might try to head up to Asheville. I thought I would share this with y'all .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2019, 07:30 AM

5,015 posts, read 8,179,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post
I grew up as an Italian Catholic, in a predominantly Jewish area. The Jewish people that I grew up with, welcomed me into their homes and institutions, and, noteworthy was it that I was treated no differently than any of the other children (even though I was the only Catholic kid in the bunch ).

Okay...enough of the introduction...REAL Jewish delicatessen FOOD is coming to nearby Asheville!:

The HardLox Jewish Food and Heritage Festival - Home

I could hardly believe my eyes !

I plan on relocating to the area in the near future, but if my schedule permits, I might try to head up to Asheville. I thought I would share this with y'all .
Don't get too excited about the event. I went last year with a friend. I wasn't impressed. Very small, not what I expected. Went for the food and left.

They had one at the synagogue in Hendersonville, NC this year...it's small, doesn't have the booths that Asheville has, but does have the food and entertainment.

This is just my 2 cents...others may have different opinions.

Good bagels are hard to find around here...if I need bagels I go up to Joeys, otherwise, I wait for my parents to come in the summer and bring me bagels from my favorite place in Miami. Hmm...may need to check out bagel places on my next trip to Atlanta, GA...anyone know of any good places over there??

Old 09-07-2019, 07:48 AM

5,015 posts, read 8,179,127 times
Someone just sent me this link when I asked for bagel recommendations for Atlanta, where I'm going for a Mah Jongg Tournament next month:

https://www.myjewishlearning.com/the...ZkhvuRKW1oG2TM

Atlanta has a festival in January it appears:

https://www.atlantajewishlifefestival.com/

Old 09-07-2019, 08:21 AM

1,947 posts, read 2,757,797 times
Isn't Greenfields a Jewish deli? https://greenfieldsbagelsanddeli.com

Old 09-07-2019, 11:45 AM

2,443 posts, read 2,868,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldemila View Post
Don't get too excited about the event. I went last year with a friend. I wasn't impressed. Very small, not what I expected. Went for the food and left.

They had one at the synagogue in Hendersonville, NC this year...it's small, doesn't have the booths that Asheville has, but does have the food and entertainment.

This is just my 2 cents...others may have different opinions.

Good bagels are hard to find around here...if I need bagels I go up to Joeys, otherwise, I wait for my parents to come in the summer and bring me bagels from my favorite place in Miami. Hmm...may need to check out bagel places on my next trip to Atlanta, GA...anyone know of any good places over there??
Yes it's not much. There is Shalomfest right here in April every year. Might as well stay here. Educational talks and music as well as Jewish food. Oh and we finally made it to Joey's- now that's a real NY bagel! Fortunately I do get up to NYC a few times a year and love smelling up the plane with my everything bagels on the way back home.

Old 09-07-2019, 11:48 AM

1,998 posts, read 4,607,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by furmanpals View Post
Isn't Greenfields a Jewish deli? https://greenfieldsbagelsanddeli.com
yes; but, the bagels are not made fresh on-site and arrive frozen from somewhere in NJ
I've tried GF multiple times and do not like their bagels - do not taste fresh - Bruegger's was much better - Upstate SC had multiple Bruegger's locations and they are all closed now
I need a bagel that is made fresh, on-site - does that exist anywhere in Upstate SC?

Old 09-07-2019, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drfranklin View Post
yes; but, the bagels are not made fresh on-site and arrive frozen from somewhere in NJ
I've tried GF multiple times and do not like their bagels - do not taste fresh - Bruegger's was much better - Upstate SC had multiple Bruegger's locations and they are all closed now
I need a bagel that is made fresh, on-site - does that exist anywhere in Upstate SC?
I liked Bruegger's better too! And the first time I visited Greenfield's I was put off by the fact that they did not offer a baker's dozen! Joey's gives you 2 extra bagels.
But I am friends with Robin so I do go there frequently. She is a big supporter of the Greenville Jewish community.

Old 09-07-2019, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedBeth View Post
Yes it's not much. There is Shalomfest right here in April every year. Might as well stay here. Educational talks and music as well as Jewish food. Oh and we finally made it to Joey's- now that's a real NY bagel! Fortunately I do get up to NYC a few times a year and love smelling up the plane with my everything bagels on the way back home.
You saved me a trip to Asheville...thank you .

Quote:
Not to mention that Hendersonville's a lot closer

Where's Joey's?

Old 09-07-2019, 02:22 PM

Joey's is in Hendersonville. joeys NY Bagels Home

Old 09-07-2019, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedBeth View Post
Joey's is in Hendersonville. joeys NY Bagels Home
Thank you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
View detailed profiles of: