Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2014, 01:21 PM

32 posts, read 85,781 times

Advertisements

Is it just me or is Spartanburg a snotty, unfriendly town? My husband and I moved here almost three years ago. We've moved a lot (retired military) and we have to say this town is the unfriendliest place we've ever lived. We're looking for jobs elsewhere and praying for a break so we can leave. Has anybody else had this experience? It seems a lot of people are "from here" and they don't want to know you if you're not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2014, 02:08 PM

182 posts, read 351,930 times
I'll bite. No, I don't think Spartanburg is an unfriendly town. I moved here 22 years ago from Ohio and have never felt unwelcome, much less that Spartanburg is unfriendly. I'm sorry that's been your experience.

What part of town do you live? Is it a subdivision with no sidewalks? I'm of the opinion those are unfriendly no matter where you are. Where I live (Converse Heights), we readily embrace new neighbors and have each others' backs.

And not knowing you, I don't want to make assumptions, but is the problem just as much on your end? I'll assume it is not and you've made efforts to get to know people and get out and socialize.

Old 05-21-2014, 02:43 PM

958 posts, read 2,627,322 times
I've lived in Spartanburg for six years now and although it's not my cup of tea in a lot of respects, I can't say it's especially unfriendly or snotty. We haved lived in Boiling Springs and on the east side.

Old 05-22-2014, 03:02 PM

21,035 posts, read 27,403,937 times
Any place you live may have its share of unfriendly people. Spartanburg is mostly friendly.

Old 05-22-2014, 03:23 PM

411 posts, read 856,550 times
I think what you are observing is polarization. There are many subsets of people in Spartanburg. The Converse College/Wofford College Snobs, the Artsy Fartsy types downtown and in Hampton Heights, the East Side Yuppies, the Boiling Springs Nouveau Riche, etc. I don't think people set out to be unfriendly, they're just clique-ish.

I grew up in Spartanburg and I'm not a fan of the place. I lived all over the state (and out of state) before settling in Greer. It's a very friendly town, but it's smaller, so I think that whole wave even if it's a stranger thing is in effect.

Old 05-22-2014, 05:51 PM

8 posts, read 10,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhousejunkie View Post
I think what you are observing is polarization. There are many subsets of people in Spartanburg. The Converse College/Wofford College Snobs, the Artsy Fartsy types downtown and in Hampton Heights, the East Side Yuppies, the Boiling Springs Nouveau Riche, etc. I don't think people set out to be unfriendly, they're just clique-ish.

I grew up in Spartanburg and I'm not a fan of the place. I lived all over the state (and out of state) before settling in Greer. It's a very friendly town, but it's smaller, so I think that whole wave even if it's a stranger thing is in effect.
Greer and Spartanburg are that much different? Can't really see that.

Old 05-22-2014, 07:00 PM

5,505 posts, read 8,368,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monique47 View Post
Greer and Spartanburg are that much different? Can't really see that.
Greer is more of a suburb for Greenville. I think they feel pretty different. Spartanburg is larger and more independent than Greer. It isn't a suburb. I've never seen Spartanburg as snooty. First time I've heard this.

Old 05-22-2014, 07:03 PM

32 posts, read 85,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhousejunkie View Post

That's what some people have told me who're not from here, but have lived here for a while. They say people have their set of friends and that's who they hang out with and it's hard to break in. I was hoping it was just me, but when I got my taxes done, the preparer went on and on about how he hates Spartanburg and is leaving next year. He's been here 12 years and is from SC but I don't know where. We've been to 5 churches and have become Chreasters (Christmas and Easter). Ugh, that's the worst when the church is cliquish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area