Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2021, 04:18 PM

300 posts, read 254,915 times

Advertisements

Viewsonic 1 the demographics of Spartanburg do support a Trader Joes and a Whole Foods. An eastside location or a westside location will work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2021, 06:58 PM

4,899 posts, read 7,447,740 times
There was a Trader Joe not far from us in Virginia. Square footage wise, it was only slightly larger than the Hub City Coop building with even less available parking. It would be wonderful to have a grocery in that space.

Old 08-24-2021, 08:01 PM

It would have been a great location for a Trader Joes but Rigby's Burger and wings has taken that location. It should open in a couple of months.

Old 08-24-2021, 08:32 PM

5,162 posts, read 7,360,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vistatiger View Post
Piggly Wiggly coming to S. Church St food desert in Spartanburg. This marks a return for Piggly Wiggly to Spartanburg county where they operated several stores in the 80's.

https://www.foxcarolina.com/news/pig...fe6b4798a.html
I am happy to see a Piggly Wiggly return to the Upstate region. Hopefully it will be nice like the coastal locations near Charleston and the Low Country.

Old 08-25-2021, 07:13 AM

I am not comparing Greenville and Spartanburg. You do not know Spartanburg. Come on over and I will give you a tour. Again the Spartanburg metro area can support a Trader Joes and a Whole Foods.

Old 08-25-2021, 09:41 AM

1,267 posts, read 1,212,411 times
The nice Piggy Wiggly's were owned by The Carolina Company.They went belly up in 2014.All that are left are the dirty small town market mostly south of Colunbia.

Old 08-25-2021, 12:42 PM

4,601 posts, read 6,018,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
I am happy to see a Piggly Wiggly return to the Upstate region. Hopefully it will be nice like the coastal locations near Charleston and the Low Country.
There are three older ones in Greenwood County.

I know there is still one on Devine Street in Columbia too not far from a Whole Foods , Food Lion and Earth Fare. Lidl tried to take it over last year and the locals weren't happy about it. They fondly refer to it as the "Social Pig". My grandmother fondly called the one she shopped in different names "The Pig" "The Hog" and the Hoggly Woggly" lol.

Last edited by vistatiger; 08-25-2021 at 01:00 PM..

Old 08-25-2021, 01:36 PM

View Sonic 1 I do agree with you. The demographics for the city of Spartanburg itself is not good. The lack of annexation is killing us demographic wise. We have had two different opportunities to annex a large number of homes and also a chance recently to cross over to the other side of I-26 and add at least 2000 people but our leadership chose not to. The first annexation was going to be a game changer but the city was afraid to fight all of the lawsuits. The city of Rock Hill was sued over annexations that they were going after. The city did not wuss out and fought the annexations and won and as a result they were able to annex a large number of people into the city. With out a state broker making the decision on new locations for Whole Foods stores in S.C. that does not bode well for us getting a store any time soon. Also Amazon is now the owner of Whole Foods which also kills any hope of us landing a store here anytime soon. And Trader Joes will not locate a store here until Whole Foods comes on board. Trader Joes likes to locating there stores near Whole Foods. Good news for you Greenville folks is that you may be getting another Whole Foods. Which will lead to another Trader Joes.

Old 08-25-2021, 08:14 PM

5,162 posts, read 7,360,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nans123 View Post
View Sonic 1 I do agree with you. The demographics for the city of Spartanburg itself is not good. The lack of annexation is killing us demographic wise. We have had two different opportunities to annex a large number of homes and also a chance recently to cross over to the other side of I-26 and add at least 2000 people but our leadership chose not to. The first annexation was going to be a game changer but the city was afraid to fight all of the lawsuits. The city of Rock Hill was sued over annexations that they were going after. The city did not wuss out and fought the annexations and won and as a result they were able to annex a large number of people into the city. With out a state broker making the decision on new locations for Whole Foods stores in S.C. that does not bode well for us getting a store any time soon. Also Amazon is now the owner of Whole Foods which also kills any hope of us landing a store here anytime soon. And Trader Joes will not locate a store here until Whole Foods comes on board. Trader Joes likes to locating there stores near Whole Foods. Good news for you Greenville folks is that you may be getting another Whole Foods. Which will lead to another Trader Joes.
I would like to see a Harris Teeter in Spartanburg and more Publix locations.

Old 08-26-2021, 04:19 AM

1,998 posts, read 4,609,176 times
I've worked in Spartanburg/Spartanburg County for a number of years - Spartanburg could definitely sustain a Trader Joe's - look an equivalent/identical metro to Upstate SC: Triad, NC (Greensboro, Winston Salem, High Point) - that NC metro has two TJ locations (one in Greensboro and another in WS)

I am surprised Harris Teeter has not expanded into Spartanburg - I prefer Harris Teeter now to Publix
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area