Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2014, 05:55 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,057,839 times

Advertisements

I was reading on another thread where somebody mentioned what happened to Putt Putt? I was thinking about it. Although we have a wonderful downtown, I thought of a couple things that would help make it complete. I think a stadium movie theater that serves beer, wine and appetizers. An upscale bowling alley like Lucky Strike. Lastly, mini golf such as Congo River Adventures.

I think after going out to dinner and drinks downtown, these maybe some fun things to do after to make a night complete It would also give families some more options downtown. Yes, we have a lot to do but this would even make it more fun
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2014, 06:47 PM

17,579 posts, read 15,247,745 times
A 'movie house' type place might fly.. As you mentioned, a place where you can see a movie and have a beer.. It would have to be specialized.. Probably single screen, which would limit it somewhat, but it would have to be upscale enough to compete with the Regal theaters. Laurens has done something interesting with one of the old movie theaters.. Well, technically, BOTH of them are 'interesting' now.. One in a good way, the other not so much.

They have the old Capitol theater, which has been reopened.. Capitol Theatre and Cafe - Movies and is a family type place.. Tables in the theater, you can get burger/fries type food.. I am not surprised they're begging for donations for a digital projector.. Something like that, or even something more catering to adults could work well.. Perhaps someone can look through my old thread about movie theaters, and knows whether one of the old ones downtown is still standing and could be converted back to a theater?

The old.. Echo theater, which is across the square.. well, I guess most people know what it has in it.. Redneck Shop - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But.. As for downtown Greenville.. I think it's an idea that COULD work.. If you're doing the 'adult theater' thing (not THAT type of adult theater) you can't go too upscale.. You get snooty and it won't fly. The Imax in Simpsonville used to have a bar in it when it was owned by Great Escape.. Once Regal bought it, they just closed it off.

Putt-putt.. It's a dying breed.. There used to be one on Wade Hampton.. One in Spartanburg, one in Anderson.. .All gone. And I am talking Putt-Putt.. Not mini-golf.. Not what Frankies offers.. True putt-putt is a game of skill. Geometry and physics. Every hole has the possibility for a hole in one without astounding luck. I don't think they could get property downtown and the clientele to support it.. The one on Wade Hampton had a ton of business from Bob Jones and.. I don't know if they went under, or the land price pushed them to sell, but.. If it couldn't make it there.. I don't see it downtown.

Lucky Strike.. A very interesting concept.. Never been to one, but.. Hell... If they can make it with the property costs in Times Square (Think that's where one is) with 10 lanes or so.. I wouldn't bet against it working here. Of course.. When I heard about the Netflix concept some 14 years ago or so.. I said it wouldn't last a year.. "Who's gonna get DVDs days later by mail?" yeah.. Swing and a miss on that one.

Old 07-03-2014, 06:54 PM

81 posts, read 203,745 times
I wrote Lucky Strike a couple years back about how to bring one to Greenville. They don't franchise out and are very selective on the cities/markets they enter. Apparently Greenville isn't high on their list.

Either way... I agree that an upscale bowling alley near downtown would be great. Regardless of the brand or if it's independent.

Old 07-03-2014, 06:56 PM

5,162 posts, read 7,355,600 times
There is an upscale movie theater and bowling alley in Uptown Charlotte at the Epicenter complex. Perhaps something similar to that would be nice for Greenville downtown. And perhaps an upscale, diverse night club with a nice dance floor for all crowds. Straight, gay, black, white, Hispanic, everybody. But not riff raff.

Old 07-03-2014, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
There is an upscale movie theater and bowling alley in Uptown Charlotte at the Epicenter complex. Perhaps something similar to that would be nice for Greenville downtown. And perhaps an upscale, diverse night club with a nice dance floor for all crowds. Straight, gay, black, white, Hispanic, everybody. But not riff raff.
Yep, that's exactly what I'm speaking of. I like the concept of the Epicenter for sure

As for a diverse night club, I'm surprised there isn't anything like that downtown. I mean a huge dance club with a DJ and dance music. I like all the little bars downtown with a DJ but they just can't hold a crowd like that. For example, I was told, On The Roxx has a maximum capacity of 80 patrons. I'm speaking of a place with lights, fog, huge dance floor that can accommodate a couple hundred people.

G-man, where are you?......

Last edited by beckycat; 07-03-2014 at 07:14 PM..

Old 07-04-2014, 05:45 AM

77 posts, read 110,510 times
There are plans to open an independent theater downtown, with food and alcohol. Check out the Film House site: The Film House - Home. If all goes well, it will be next year. For now, they show movies at Coffee Underground and outdoor movies at the Swamp Rabbit Cafe and Grocery.

The other venues that were missing downtown were bookstores. There now is one at the West End. It has new and used books, coffee and wine so you can hang out. I also know that a lease was just signed for another book store near the Westin that will serve wine and food as well. However, my favorite place to pick up used books is the Hughes Library. They sell current books in great condition. $1 for paperback and $4-$6 for hardcover and you do not even have to belong to the library to purchase them.

Old 07-04-2014, 06:06 AM

183 posts, read 303,258 times
I'd love to see this at the Gateway Site.

There is plenty of parking next door, an exsisting bridge connecting the garage and the property and the events at the area would go perfect with restaurants, movie theater, bowling alley, upscale night clubs, national retail and anything else you could think of. Plus you could put a hotel on top of it and that would go perfect with people coming in to see shows and who don't want to drive home. This would also make the area more usable for big multi day conferences. We keep taking about a convention center that could pull in big events. Well heck we already have on paid for by the tax payers we just need to make it more usable. The only down side would be needing a bridge to connect it with the rest of downtown but I'm sure that could be figured out some how. Maybe a tunnel would work better than a bridge or just reconfigure the intersection at 385 and Church St. A mass transit option to get into town from the Verdae area could stop there and drop people off as a gateway to the rest of DT. It's the only space for something like this that would not create a traffic nightmare. I mean really love the idea of this. People would come from all over for it. It would boost downtown visits by a huge amount. Sooner or later a development like this is going to happen and this space really is the best one we have for it. Someone on another site said we should use the Greenville news building for one of these but a I just can't see that many cars parking over there.

Old 07-04-2014, 07:27 AM

5,238 posts, read 8,791,565 times
I've heard that an "adult" (not that kind of adult), upscale bowling alley is going into the old Handlebar location.

Just a rumor though.

Old 07-04-2014, 04:40 PM

27 posts, read 50,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
I was reading on another thread where somebody mentioned what happened to Putt Putt? I was thinking about it. Although we have a wonderful downtown, I thought of a couple things that would help make it complete. I think a stadium movie theater that serves beer, wine and appetizers. An upscale bowling alley like Lucky Strike. Lastly, mini golf such as Congo River Adventures.

I think after going out to dinner and drinks downtown, these maybe some fun things to do after to make a night complete It would also give families some more options downtown. Yes, we have a lot to do but this would even make it more fun
There is enough alcohol downtown. If you are looking for things for families to do alcohol should not be included. I wouldn't take my kids to the movies with a bunch of heckling drunks. In this economy upscale and family friendly don't really go together.

Old 07-04-2014, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wranglerowner4life View Post
There is enough alcohol downtown. If you are looking for things for families to do alcohol should not be included. I wouldn't take my kids to the movies with a bunch of heckling drunks. In this economy upscale and family friendly don't really go together.
I can understand that. It's just what society has included for everything. I do think they need more places for families downtown. They do have a lot of adult places though. I still think the things that I mentioned are a good idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area