Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2014, 07:17 AM

2,682 posts, read 4,484,115 times

Advertisements

Hello! We are looking to possibly move to the Greenville area late next year or 2016. We currently live in Orlando. I work in Accounting and don't usually have an issue finding a job. My partner currently works in food service but is looking to break into the marketing world.

I am wanting to hear some opinions regarding the job market. Are businesses moving into the area and has hiring picked up?

I want to hear from a local, because even though I can say that all these things are happening in Orlando the weather is killing us here. On top of that, this economy is too dependent on the service industry and I would like to get away from that. I've read that Greeville has one of the country's strongest job markets. If businesses are moving in, then it should stay that way.

Any opinions, thoughts are welcome. TIA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2014, 09:53 AM

690 posts, read 1,148,491 times
Well, Greenville is loaded with restaurants and FS type establishments so that might not be an issue. If he/she is looking to get into marketing then you can look at ad agencies like Erwin Penland - we work with Denny's, Verizon Wireless, Microsoft, etc. So someone with food experience and wanting to get into marketing might be a fit for the Denny's team here.

There are other smaller agencies in this area as well but EP is by far the 800lb gorilla (250+ employees in G'ville, 100+ in NYC).

Old 07-02-2014, 09:58 AM

2,682 posts, read 4,484,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valien View Post
Well, Greenville is loaded with restaurants and FS type establishments so that might not be an issue. If he/she is looking to get into marketing then you can look at ad agencies like Erwin Penland - we work with Denny's, Verizon Wireless, Microsoft, etc. So someone with food experience and wanting to get into marketing might be a fit for the Denny's team here.

There are other smaller agencies in this area as well but EP is by far the 800lb gorilla (250+ employees in G'ville, 100+ in NYC).
Thanks, I'll pass this along. She currently works for a chain restaurant and would be able to get a transfer up to Greenville. Of course a marketing job would be first choice.

Is there a lot of competition for food service jobs? Here in Orlando it's brutal to get anything full-time. She currently works 2-3 days a week and they bump her up to 5 days during busy season which is February/March.

Old 07-06-2014, 08:37 AM

2,781 posts, read 3,300,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katestar View Post
Thanks, I'll pass this along. She currently works for a chain restaurant and would be able to get a transfer up to Greenville. Of course a marketing job would be first choice.

Is there a lot of competition for food service jobs? Here in Orlando it's brutal to get anything full-time. She currently works 2-3 days a week and they bump her up to 5 days during busy season which is February/March.
Most food service jobs throughout the country are part time to avoid having to provide benefits.

Old 07-07-2014, 01:28 PM

3,595 posts, read 6,956,083 times
Quote:
Hello! We are looking to possibly move to the Greenville area late next year or 2016. We currently live in Orlando. I work in Accounting and don't usually have an issue finding a job. My partner currently works in food service but is looking to break into the marketing world.

I am wanting to hear some opinions regarding the job market. Are businesses moving into the area and has hiring picked up?

I want to hear from a local, because even though I can say that all these things are happening in Orlando the weather is killing us here. On top of that, this economy is too dependent on the service industry and I would like to get away from that. I've read that Greeville has one of the country's strongest job markets. If businesses are moving in, then it should stay that way.

If the weather and the job market are killing you in Orlando, I don't think the Upstate will be much better.

I lived in the Greenville metro back in 2008-2009 and my wife and I chose to move to my hometown to make more money. She's in education and I'm in the restaurant biz.

Also summers are pretty brutal up there without the lakes, rivers, natural springs and beaches nearby to cool off. Then comes the cold and painful winter, where the trees turn brown and you have to wear closed toe shoes or socks with your flip flops.

Greenville is a great smaller city, but there is just more to offer in Orlando by a long shot. Although if I ever downsize this will be the place.

Old 07-07-2014, 03:18 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,099,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
If the weather and the job market are killing you in Orlando, I don't think the Upstate will be much better.

I lived in the Greenville metro back in 2008-2009 and my wife and I chose to move to my hometown to make more money. She's in education and I'm in the restaurant biz.

Also summers are pretty brutal up there without the lakes, rivers, natural springs and beaches nearby to cool off. Then comes the cold and painful winter, where the trees turn brown and you have to wear closed toe shoes or socks with your flip flops.

Greenville is a great smaller city, but there is just more to offer in Orlando by a long shot. Although if I ever downsize this will be the place.
I don't know about the job market but one thing I will say is the weather is not near as humid as FL. It gets hot in the day in the summer but you're not drenched in sweat like you would be in Orlando. The evening cools off very nicely and the mornings are cool too. We have a lot more trees here. You can sit outside in the day here. I don't care for the cold or gray in the winter either but it's short lived. I guess it's the trade off. As for the lakes and rivers not being close, it's only an hour give or take to get to them. It was the same as going to the beach from Orlando.

I do miss Orlando for certain things. I guess it depends what you're into. Of course we don't have theme parks here but I still I find a decent amount of things to do here for the most part. I do miss the beach but there are crystal clear lakes here. I know it's still not the same. I find most of the things I had in FL, I can find here. It is smaller but it suits us fine for now.

They both have their pros and cons. I don't want to hijack the OP's thread about work. All I can say is do as much research as you can to find out about work. If there are opportunities, come try it out. After doing many years of research, we finally decided on Greenville because of the beautiful downtown. (recommended by OrlFlUsa on our criteria)

Orlando will still always have a place in my heart my only complaint was how long the heat lasted.

Old 07-07-2014, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
I don't know about the job market but one thing I will say is the weather is not near as humid as FL. It gets hot in the day in the summer but you're not drenched in sweat like you would be in Orlando. The evening cools off very nicely and the mornings are cool too. We have a lot more trees here. You can sit outside in the day here. I don't care for the cold or gray in the winter either but it's short lived. I guess it's the trade off. As for the lakes and rivers not being close, it's only an hour give or take to get to them. It was the same as going to the beach from Orlando.

I do miss Orlando for certain things. I guess it depends what you're into. Of course we don't have theme parks here but I still I find a decent amount of things to do here for the most part. I do miss the beach but there are crystal clear lakes here. I know it's still not the same. I find most of the things I had in FL, I can find here. It is smaller but it suits us fine for now.

They both have their pros and cons. I don't want to hijack the OP's thread about work. All I can say is do as much research as you can to find out about work. If there are opportunities, come try it out. After doing many years of research, we finally decided on Greenville because of the beautiful downtown. (recommended by OrlFlUsa on our criteria)

Orlando will still always have a place in my heart my only complaint was how long the heat lasted.
I agree Becky, the heat lasts a long time here, but the trade off is no winter really. The upstate outside of DT Greenville is ok, but DT Greenville is really the only bright spot. You are the perfect Orlando vs Greenville subject though.

Old 07-07-2014, 10:28 PM

Quote:

I think you will be fine in Greenville, I have plenty of family that still live and work there and they enjoy their life.

If you are looking for a change in weather, that you will get but not so extreme as if you moved to Chicago.

Be prepared that your partner might make less in food service if she has to do that until she can land something in marketing.

Just my opinion as you've probably read by now, but although the Upstate is beautiful, DT Greenville is really the the only star in terms of urbanity, and a small one at that. I also offered my opinion in past posts as to how the new area will feel different and lack certain things that may or may not matter in you choosing Greenville. The way I see it, is that I'd like to know how an area compares to where I currently live so I can decide if it's where I want to go or not.

Good luck.

Old 07-08-2014, 10:04 AM

12,626 posts, read 32,099,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
I think you will be fine in Greenville, I have plenty of family that still live and work there and they enjoy their life.

If you are looking for a change in weather, that you will get but not so extreme as if you moved to Chicago.

Be prepared that your partner might make less in food service if she has to do that until she can land something in marketing.

Just my opinion as you've probably read by now, but although the Upstate is beautiful, DT Greenville is really the the only star in terms of urbanity, and a small one at that. I also offered my opinion in past posts as to how the new area will feel different and lack certain things that may or may not matter in you choosing Greenville. The way I see it, is that I'd like to know how an area compares to where I currently live so I can decide if it's where I want to go or not.

Good luck.

It is true though, you really can't compare Orlando to Greenville. They are two different places. What you can compare are certain things in each such as weather, work available, stores, etc. They each offer different things to do with a few similar. To me, both are good places.

Katestar, are you able to plan a trip here to check it out?

Old 07-09-2014, 06:42 PM

1,556 posts, read 3,551,219 times
Quote:

DON'T DO IT!
If its not broke don't fix it.....sometimes we think the grass is greener on the other side just to get there and realize we made a big mistake. Greenville has a long way to go and too many people have been a casualty of it's lack of a real economy. Orlando might be dependent on the service industry but Greenville is dependent on manufacturing! Most of the larger companies in Greenville are engaged in manufacturing something (cars, tires, parts etc.). I agree with you.....I do not have faith in a place where so much of the economy is concentrated in one industry. Recipe for disaster.....ask Detroit about their dependence on car manufacturing!

Good luck.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area