Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2014, 09:32 PM

3 posts, read 4,760 times

Advertisements

Hello All,
Are there any areas (streets, small towns) in the Greenville area that offer historical architecture? I'm not picky, and it doesn't have to be a highly polished area. I do like to be able to walk to amenities and a neighborhood.
"Historical" is a very arbitrary label, but in this case I'm thinking 1930's or older. I'm not afraid of a fixer-upper.

Thank you!

Last edited by mildred4; 10-05-2014 at 10:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2014, 07:24 AM

2,781 posts, read 3,297,240 times
There is an area around Earle Street just north of downtown that sounds like what you are looking for. There is another area just south of Cleveland park but I'm not sure if the homes in that area go back to the 1930s. Both areas have become pretty expensive.

There are other areas with older homes that would be more budget friendly but they are also rougher neighborhoods. The west side of downtown is one such area that seems to be slowly coming back but it still has a ways to go.

Hard to know exactly what you are looking for - you'll probably have to drive around the area to get a feel for it.

Old 10-06-2014, 10:05 AM

Thanks WhitewaterVol,
Expensive is not what I'm looking for. I'm curious about the areas you mentioned that are "rough" but may turn around. Are there specific neighborhoods or streets in this category?
Thanks again!

Old 10-06-2014, 10:54 AM

1,845 posts, read 2,766,570 times
"Rough" in this case would generally also be associated with a higher risk of crime. But there are pockets that are definitely liveable - The Village of West Greenville - areas surrounding the historic Brandon and Woodside Mills. Village of West Greenville - Facebook is also a rapidly growing arts community.

Dunean is another old but decent Mill community that is highly Walkable - I believe one could walk to the KMart Plaza (which also contains a grocery store and 3-4 store strip mall and CVS).

You'd need to carefully check the neighborhood at multiple times of day to be sure you're comfortable there. I think both of these areas have an active neighborhood watch group to help keep tabs on the community - it might be worth going to a community meeting as well.

Old 10-06-2014, 02:45 PM

21,025 posts, read 27,276,302 times
Crescent Avenue, from South Church Street to Cleveland Street, is worth checking out. I think this area, the North Main Street district, and the Hampton Avenune/Pinckney Street district have Greenville's oldest upscale homes.

Old 10-07-2014, 07:51 PM

2,781 posts, read 3,297,240 times
The Overbrook area off of East North Street is another worth consideration.

Old 10-07-2014, 09:52 PM

Thanks for the ideas!

Old 10-08-2014, 10:14 AM

1,077 posts, read 1,651,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mildred4 View Post
Thanks for the ideas!
Also, look across East North around Timmons Park and the Gassaway Mansion. Up and coming neighborhood called Issaqueena Park. GL and let us know how it goes.

Old 10-08-2014, 11:18 AM

411 posts, read 854,003 times
Unfortunately, cheap fixer uppers in walkable areas that are safe are few and far between in Greenville. I guess it would depend upon your definition of safe. I'm not much of an urban pioneer anymore (some bad past experiences) so safety is paramount to me.

We currently live in the historic district of Greer which is three blocks from downtown Greer. There are some restaurants and shops. A lot of events. You have to watch the neighborhood like a hawk for fixer uppers. Many have already been fixed up and command the higher $100s in the mid $200s. My favorite house in the neighborhood is up for sale right now, but it's falling apart. Needs a paint job and a new roof to start. They want a ridiculous amount of money for it. I sense that it might be a soon-to-be foreclosure, so it would be keeping an eye on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area