Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2014, 02:22 PM

5,160 posts, read 7,351,784 times

Advertisements

WHNS-21 FOX Carolina has now launched the first 4pm newscast in the Greenville/Spartanburg/Asheville market. And it does appear as if the WHNS news programs have been upgraded to HD, as the video quality is much improved. The early news will fill a void in this market, joining Charlotte stations WBTV-3 and WCNC-36 which can be received with an antenna. It will be interesting to see if WYFF-4 and WSPA-7 will eventually follow suit with 4pm news programming of their own. As it partially depends upon the ratings success of afternoon talk shows which are still recovering from the loss of the Oprah effect from several years ago, as she provided a strong lead in for newscasts in many markets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2014, 03:38 PM

1,077 posts, read 1,649,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
WHNS-21 FOX Carolina has now launched the first 4pm newscast in the Greenville/Spartanburg/Asheville market. And it does appear as if the WHNS news programs have been upgraded to HD, as the video quality is much improved. The early news will fill a void in this market, joining Charlotte stations WBTV-3 and WCNC-36 which can be received with an antenna. It will be interesting to see if WYFF-4 and WSPA-7 will eventually follow suit with 4pm news programming of their own. As it partially depends upon the ratings success of afternoon talk shows which are still recovering from the loss of the Oprah effect from several years ago, as she provided a strong lead in for newscasts in many markets.
That's good I suppose. I don't see a point for local newscasts. Usually just a waste of time to watch or am I in the minority in this thought?

Old 10-22-2014, 08:30 PM

21,020 posts, read 27,232,811 times
WHNS-TV did try a half-hour newscast at 1600 hours (4 pm) over a decade ago anchored by Connie LeGrand. The newscast shifted to 1700 hours (5 pm), then ceased. With this attempt and no competition yet, WHNS-TV will do well with its new newscast. I do not know when it will add its hour-long newscasts at 1700 hours (5 pm) and 1800 hours (6 pm).

If other stations jump on with afternoon newscasts, I think WSPA-TV would be the closest. Primary anchors Tom Crabtree and Amy Wood now anchor "7 On Your Side News at 7 pm" at 1900 hours. Media General is currently hiring for an anchor/reporter.

Old 10-25-2014, 09:51 PM

27 posts, read 34,578 times
I never watch this station's newscasts. It seems to me that they are geared more toward the immature.

Old 10-26-2014, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMC98 View Post
I never watch this station's newscasts. It seems to me that they are geared more toward the immature.
I agree with your assessment, and seldom watch WHNS-21 for news. It is more infotainment than real news. I prefer WYFF-4 and WSPA-7, and also watch WBTV-3, WCNC-36, and WJZY FOX-46 from Charlotte with the antenna.

Old 04-07-2015, 12:25 PM

Default WSPA Channel 7 4pm Newscast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
WHNS-TV did try a half-hour newscast at 1600 hours (4 pm) over a decade ago anchored by Connie LeGrand. The newscast shifted to 1700 hours (5 pm), then ceased. With this attempt and no competition yet, WHNS-TV will do well with its new newscast. I do not know when it will add its hour-long newscasts at 1700 hours (5 pm) and 1800 hours (6 pm).

If other stations jump on with afternoon newscasts, I think WSPA-TV would be the closest. Primary anchors Tom Crabtree and Amy Wood now anchor "7 On Your Side News at 7 pm" at 1900 hours. Media General is currently hiring for an anchor/reporter.
As you may know, there are now unconfirmed reports that WSPA is indeed preparing to add a 4pm newscast soon. Possibly in May. This will join WHNS, WBTV, and WCNC with an early afternoon newscast.

Old 04-08-2015, 04:11 PM

5 posts, read 7,479 times
Default What happened to the NWS radar?

When did WHNS change 21-2 (Charter 195) from the NWS weather forecast and radar to re-runs of old series? Having the radar weather and NWS information was handy and a nice public service.

Old 04-08-2015, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmbgville View Post
When did WHNS change 21-2 (Charter 195) from the NWS weather forecast and radar to re-runs of old series? Having the radar weather and NWS information was handy and a nice public service.
As discussed in another thread, WHNS has dropped the weather radar on 21.2 and replaced it with Cozi TV, a nostalgia network showing reruns of old series. Most stations nationwide are dropping the weather channels due to lack of revenue. It is a business decision. And soon 21.3 will be airing the Escape network. But it does seem since these subchannels can offer at least 6 channels, that they could keep the weather radar up and running on at least one channel.

Old 04-10-2015, 02:09 PM

9,495 posts, read 9,809,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OMC98 View Post
I have rarely watched any local news. About the only time I do is when bad weather is approaching.

But for WHNS to add a 4PM newscast, they must be have more viewers than what this poster is saying. What exactly is the posters definition of a "immature viewer" anyway?

Old 04-10-2015, 05:22 PM

1,947 posts, read 2,757,797 times
Who would watch the news at 4:00? For that matter, does anyone watch local or national news on television?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area