Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2014, 03:59 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,978,142 times

Advertisements

just curious as to why Greenville isnt experiencing much growth? 4 seasons, large corporations relocating there, cheap cost of living, nice area...

why isn't it experiencing the growth we are seeing in FL?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2014, 04:30 PM

5,523 posts, read 8,381,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
just curious as to why Greenville isnt experiencing much growth? 4 seasons, large corporations relocating there, cheap cost of living, nice area...

why isn't it experiencing the growth we are seeing in FL?
What's considered large growth? It seems to be growing pretty steady according to county population trends. It's really subjective though. I expect Florida to grow faster because of retiring boomers.

Old 10-03-2014, 06:29 PM

5,893 posts, read 12,858,684 times
They are sure building a lot of new housing in and around Greenville. I don't think they'd be doing so much of it if they weren't expecting an influx of people to live in them.

Old 10-03-2014, 06:57 PM

3,200 posts, read 4,630,439 times
Greenville has never been a high growth area as claimed by the chamber and city leaders. It is not even the fastest growing part of SC by a good margin.

As for reasons, there are many....large companies are replacing lost jobs, education is not great, and education levels are low. It is attracting a lot of retiree growth which should help it for a while but it is doubtful that you will see growth on the scale of Charlotte, Raleigh or even Charleston.

For some, that is a good thing.

Old 10-03-2014, 07:27 PM

692 posts, read 1,154,036 times
Our company is growing. For the most part they hire talent from outside of this area because solid advertising talent doesn't exist in the Upstate. We're hiring all the time.

Growth in the upstate compared to 5-10 years ago is great. Just 5 years ago the big bank campus off 85 was empty.

Old 10-03-2014, 08:18 PM

2,781 posts, read 3,322,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSP101 View Post
Greenville has never been a high growth area as claimed by the chamber and city leaders. It is not even the fastest growing part of SC by a good margin.

As for reasons, there are many....large companies are replacing lost jobs, education is not great, and education levels are low. It is attracting a lot of retiree growth which should help it for a while but it is doubtful that you will see growth on the scale of Charlotte, Raleigh or even Charleston.

For some, that is a good thing.
Greenville County had a population growth of 71,811 from 2000 to 2009, a change of 18.9 percent.

Greenville County had the largest growth in population in SC over that period as expressed by numbers of people.

York County had the highest growth expressed as a percentage (62,380 at 37.9%).

These figures come from the census.

Old 10-03-2014, 08:49 PM

3,200 posts, read 4,630,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhitewaterVol View Post
Greenville County had a population growth of 71,811 from 2000 to 2009, a change of 18.9 percent.

Greenville County had the largest growth in population in SC over that period as expressed by numbers of people.

York County had the highest growth expressed as a percentage (62,380 at 37.9%).

These figures come from the census.
That's nice but population growth on a comparative basis is by percentage. And by that measure, Greenville trails other metros. Not sure why folks argue this point, Greenville is not and has not been a high growth area. Raleigh....yes, charlotte.....yes, Nashville.....yes, Charleston....yes.

Old 10-04-2014, 07:38 AM

the reason i ask is mainly due to the fact that, other than my full-time job, i would like to start building homes on the side, in the lower price ranges ppl can afford. not big mcmansions but modest, 3/2 new constructed homes in decent areas. i would also like to take old houses that need work and make it new again.

but one thing about Greenville is that i'm not sure if its getting the growth needed to do these things full-time (my plan, one day). i like Greenville a lot and have lived close to the area before.

if i were to build a typical 1700 sq ft, 3/2 bath new construction home in my town, it would sell in a week. but in Greenville? not so sure it wouldn't sit for a while, and of course then you have to resort to renting it out. and we all know that can be a pain, lol.

Old 10-04-2014, 07:43 AM

5,523 posts, read 8,381,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
the reason i ask is mainly due to the fact that, other than my full-time job, i would like to start building homes on the side, in the lower price ranges ppl can afford. not big mcmansions but modest, 3/2 new constructed homes in decent areas. i would also like to take old houses that need work and make it new again.

but one thing about Greenville is that i'm not sure if its getting the growth needed to do these things full-time (my plan, one day). i like Greenville a lot and have lived close to the area before.

if i were to build a typical 1700 sq ft, 3/2 bath new construction home in my town, it would sell in a week. but in Greenville? not so sure it wouldn't sit for a while, and of course then you have to resort to renting it out. and we all know that can be a pain, lol.
There are new homes being built everywhere here, do you're going to have competition. Our rental market is actually stronger right now.

Old 10-04-2014, 08:14 AM

tons of building down here too. but days on the market in a decent area is low. we're just looking to head back up that way (one day). we used to live in Asheville but i believe that area isnt as good as GVL as far as growth, economy, etc.

i love my current job, this would be something on the side, maybe a new home, renovating an older one and making it nice n new.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area