Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-30-2018, 06:03 PM
 
503 posts, read 693,614 times
Reputation: 256

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
What Powdersville could really use is a town center. I mean that in both as a retail town center and a literal center for the town, or I guess CDP. Powdersville has nice neighborhoods, but outside of those it's basically the strip of 153 which is your typical suburban retail strip mall road with tall signs. People will complain about traffic, but that's how you create it.

Something like Market Common or Avalon would be nice, but obviously smaller with less housing and exclusive stores.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Th...!4d-78.9398374

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Av...!4d-84.2764932

At one point in time there was a plan to do something like that with target being one of the big anchor stores but then someone leaked that target was interested and target pulled out of the project and walmart moved in.

Then it was stated target was going to go across the street from walmart but that never happened.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-30-2018, 06:59 PM
 
Location: TPA
6,476 posts, read 6,451,557 times
Reputation: 4863
Would that have really looked like a "town center" though? Or another cut and paste strip mall that includes Target and a giant parking lot?

I feel Powdersville would settle for the typical suburban big box layout like they did with Walmart. I envision a center that's pretty compact and the parking is separate from the stores outside of street parallel parking. Include a square area with greenspace too that could be used for events like summer outdoor movies or outdoor concerts or a local farmers market, and the stores would include tables and benches so you could eat outside.

Basically a center where you could walk, shop, eat, lounge, take your dogs, etc. Can't really do that around Walmart/Chickfila/QT.

Something like this comes to mind :

https://www.google.com/maps/@32.8294...7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.com/maps/@32.8627...7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.com/maps/@30.2568...7i13312!8i6656

I've been here in DC and it's also nice, although this would obviously be dramatically scaled down in Powdersville (that Target is 2 stories):

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.8719...7i13312!8i6656

I've also been here in Santa Monica. Wasn't the biggest fan of the center, but I liked that much of the emphasis was put on being outside:

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.0168...7i13312!8i6656

Outside of parallel spots, surface parking is placed on its own and/or behind the stores rather that in the front. Walking from store to store is encouraged. It's a real shame Easley didn't do this with Rolling Hills Center.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2018, 08:13 PM
 
503 posts, read 693,614 times
Reputation: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
Would that have really looked like a "town center" though? Or another cut and paste strip mall that includes Target and a giant parking lot?

I feel Powdersville would settle for the typical suburban big box layout like they did with Walmart. I envision a center that's pretty compact and the parking is separate from the stores outside of street parallel parking. Include a square area with greenspace too that could be used for events like summer outdoor movies or outdoor concerts or a local farmers market, and the stores would include tables and benches so you could eat outside.

Basically a center where you could walk, shop, eat, lounge, take your dogs, etc. Can't really do that around Walmart/Chickfila/QT.

Something like this comes to mind :

https://www.google.com/maps/@32.8294...7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.com/maps/@32.8627...7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.com/maps/@30.2568...7i13312!8i6656

I've been here in DC and it's also nice, although this would obviously be dramatically scaled down in Powdersville (that Target is 2 stories):

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.8719...7i13312!8i6656

I've also been here in Santa Monica. Wasn't the biggest fan of the center, but I liked that much of the emphasis was put on being outside:

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.0168...7i13312!8i6656

Outside of parallel spots, surface parking is placed on its own and/or behind the stores rather that in the front. Walking from store to store is encouraged. It's a real shame Easley didn't do this with Rolling Hills Center.
Yeah it was going to be something like Wiregrassish like they have in New Tampa in Florida from what I gathered. Sorta like what you are describing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-01-2018, 06:19 AM
 
89 posts, read 74,273 times
Reputation: 90
Are there any plans to actually make a town center still?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-01-2018, 10:05 PM
 
503 posts, read 693,614 times
Reputation: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by troymichael86 View Post
Are there any plans to actually make a town center still?
Not that I have heard of in recent news.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-02-2018, 09:49 AM
 
89 posts, read 74,273 times
Reputation: 90
Has anybody heard about the Powdersville Pub that has a sign up by Huddle House?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-02-2018, 01:13 PM
 
20 posts, read 19,498 times
Reputation: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by troymichael86 View Post
Has anybody heard about the Powdersville Pub that has a sign up by Huddle House?
https://www.facebook.com/powdersvillepub
Looks like they're shooting for an early March opening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-02-2018, 03:08 PM
 
1,267 posts, read 1,212,747 times
Reputation: 1164
Cool,a bar right beside the massage parlor!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-02-2018, 03:19 PM
 
20 posts, read 19,498 times
Reputation: 25
haha. Bar, "Massage", Huddle. Sounds like a good night out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-14-2018, 05:39 PM
 
1,267 posts, read 1,212,747 times
Reputation: 1164
Ate at Nagoya tonight.The place was hoppin.Lots of carry out going on too.


The Belaire Grill sign is down.That had to be an expensive mistake, along with breaking a lease.


Pizza place is moving along slowly.


Shane's Rib Shack is probably another example of a good local spot that doesn't translate well into dozen's of franchises.I never trust franchise BBQ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:




Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top