Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2015, 03:53 PM

32 posts, read 37,219 times

Advertisements

My son will be moving to Spartanburg, South Carolina in June of this year. As an employee of a major bank company, I do not see any job openings for the company I work at in the city there. According to some of the research I have done, Spartanburg has a high unemployment percentage and because I am 55 years old, I am not sure if I could get hired due to my age with a new company.

My son plans on attending a community college there and he has voiced his desire for me (his mother) to relocate there as well. I am very hesitant to do so because of the what-ifs if I cannot find work by summer's end.

My heart wants to help him get on the road to independence and help him by finding an apartment to rent there, find a job there, and settle for a few years. Whether I stay there is hard to tell-a lot is riding on if I find work so I can live okay there and not having to take on two jobs if possible.

Any suggestions? Any tidbits on life in Spartanburg, South Carolina-cost of living, rent, social life, diversity, etc. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Kimi
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2015, 04:12 PM

21,031 posts, read 27,350,967 times
Does your employer have any other locations across the upstate South Carolina region where jobs may be available? If there was a job in Greenville, would you mind commuting from Spartanburg to Greenville?

I would be curious to know where you found information Spartanburg has high unemployment. Spartanburg County has several businesses coming to, relocating to, or expanding in the area, which will spur the creation of numerous jobs.

Old 01-05-2015, 04:39 AM

745 posts, read 2,236,685 times
Why is your son moving to Spartanburg? I'm not sure where you are located, so it could be a big move. Personally, I wouldn't make the move unless there was a big benefit in it for you. What if he drops out of school, or otherwise changes his plans? College-age kids are notoriously unstable, changing majors, leaving school, falling in (and out of) love, etc., etc. Can he attend a community college near where you live now? If he's just entering college for the first time, that makes more sense than you sacrificing everything you have to follow his dream.

Sorry if I sound harsh, but young people change their minds a lot, and the parents shouldn't have to pay the price. In our family, all three of us interrupted our college plans to do something else for a while. My sister went to work in theater, my brother went in the Air Force, and I tried to start my own business. While we all went back to college eventually, there's no way Mom could have kept up with all of our changes.

Old 01-06-2015, 11:05 PM

1,413 posts, read 2,468,045 times
I just moved to Spartanburg in October.... I never would have considered this city from what I read but I love it. Great community happenings... farmers market...best library system... parks...restaurants... nature trails...shopping... good healthcare... I'm shocked at how much we like it!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area