Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2015, 10:53 PM

5,484 posts, read 8,315,620 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundpounder View Post
The random murder rate in NH is pretty darn low.
It may be, but I still wouldn't go on a dark trail at night. Even in NH. I feel pretty safe here, but I'm cautious no matter what. In any city of some size you're going to have some crime. Daylight is different. The trail is busy then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2015, 05:37 AM

266 posts, read 319,740 times
Perhaps it'd be better to just be on Main street if you insist on going out at such hours.

Old 02-15-2015, 09:45 AM

348 posts, read 496,881 times
Default Why??

Why ride at night, anywhere?? The SRT is very safe in the daytime, patrolled and a lot of riders. Safety in numbers. JMHO.

Old 02-15-2015, 11:19 AM

2,213 posts, read 2,841,818 times
There's a nice side to Greenville and a not-so-nice side. Swamp Rabbit Trail is a nice trail that goes through the nice area and extends through the not-so-nice area. Since the trail is miles long it is more difficult for police to keep a handle on it, in the not-so-nice areas, compared to a park.

Old 02-15-2015, 01:38 PM

503 posts, read 530,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvsteve View Post
There's a nice side to Greenville and a not-so-nice side. Swamp Rabbit Trail is a nice trail that goes through the nice area and extends through the not-so-nice area. Since the trail is miles long it is more difficult for police to keep a handle on it, in the not-so-nice areas, compared to a park.
Which stretch of the SRT would you say is situated in a not-so-nice area? From where to where?

Old 02-15-2015, 02:25 PM

5,484 posts, read 8,315,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkOdyssey View Post
Which stretch of the SRT would you say is situated in a not-so-nice area? From where to where?
I wouldn't do any of it at night. Most would say towards the west of downtown. All of the incidents didn't happen there though. Some of them did. Night is just not a good time to be on a dark trail. Period.

Old 02-16-2015, 07:29 AM

131 posts, read 214,262 times
First, define "at night". Does that mean after dark as in 6pm during the winter or at 12am any time of year? I have run on the trail until around 8:30pm during the winter, when it is dark, and have never felt unsafe. This is going from my office downtown to Cleveland Park, Swamp Rabbit Café and all the way to Roe Ford Rd the one time I ran home.

I would feel comfortable on the trail at 12am too, but I would be a lot more attentive to my surroundings. This would apply to anywhere I would venture that late at night though, whether the trail, downtown Greenville or even downtown TR.

Old 02-18-2015, 09:35 PM

1,153 posts, read 1,660,771 times
Odds of running into the wrong person increase at night. Just ask a policeman when most of the crimes happen.

The SRT is a great part of Greenville and not scary at all during daylight. I ran it once in darkness and luckily brought a headlamp. I didn't enjoy that as much. The trail is quite dark at night and hard to see your surroundings. So, just wait until daylight to bike and run on it. No big deal.

Old 02-19-2015, 07:10 PM

53 posts, read 67,797 times
Out in public in the Greenville city limits is just a bad idea after dark generally. There are very good reasons why the Swamp Rabbit Trail is closed and off limits after dark now, and the police will feel a lot safer writing you a citation for being there after hours than trying to deal with the criminals who now make such impositions necessary. If you are assaulted and survive, expect to be issued a $250 appearance ticket for being on the trail after dark. Greenville may not be the ideal place to raise a family anymore, as it is not the safe little big city that it once was.

Old 02-20-2015, 03:45 AM

1,289 posts, read 2,576,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaterBritches View Post
Out in public in the Greenville city limits is just a bad idea after dark generally. There are very good reasons why the Swamp Rabbit Trail is closed and off limits after dark now, and the police will feel a lot safer writing you a citation for being there after hours than trying to deal with the criminals who now make such impositions necessary. If you are assaulted and survive, expect to be issued a $250 appearance ticket for being on the trail after dark. Greenville may not be the ideal place to raise a family anymore, as it is not the safe little big city that it once was.
As a City resident, I'm outside in the dark all the time, at night and in the mornings-- exercise or walking to a destination downtown. I fail to see where you are coming from on this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area