Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2015, 04:09 PM

21,023 posts, read 27,249,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leddfd View Post
Thank you all so much! We had someone tell us to avoid TR and I was sad. They said it was "redneck" and backwards and we wouldn't like it. I love small town charm and really was looking forward to exploring that area when we come to Greenville in April. I forgot about the proximity to Furman, that is a big plus to me, being a retired teacher! I am glad they are working on the run down area. Any other tips or hints to areas to look at in TR? Much appreciated info!
Whoever told you to avoid Travelers Rest must have not been there in awhile. Travelers Rest is progressing longer than I like, but it has many great things coming its way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2015, 05:19 AM

745 posts, read 2,233,177 times
The issue with Rt 276 in to Greenville is not in TR at all, but of course you have to drive it (or go way around) to avoid it. Below Cherrydale, it gets kind of sketchy for a couple miles before you get into downtown proper. My wife drives it every day, and just locks her doors and tries not to hit homeless people hanging around Triune Mercy Center.

I've heard that TR schools are just average. Those with children still wanting a more rural area would probably want to look north of Greer in the Blue Ridge area. You'd have to drive down into Greer to get to a small town area, though.

Just about every rural area in the deep south will have a bit of a redneck element, some more than others. TR, and south to Furman is pretty nice. As you go north towards Marietta, it gets a little rough. In many areas, money is slowly pushing in with nice subdivisions, although they are still spread out. Eventually, money will probably win out, although that will bring higher taxes and restrictive HOA covenants. You can't have both. We are 5 miles north of TR, and specifically built out here to avoid cookie-cutter subdivisions with perfect lawns and restrictive zoning. We had 30 years of that in FL. Everyone's needs and wants are different, so you really have to make several fact-finding trips to ride around and try to get a feel for the area. What I like might horrify you, and vice versa.

Old 03-09-2015, 07:00 PM

113 posts, read 244,876 times
Default Agree!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
I advise you consider the Travelers Rest and Furman University area. It has immediate access to the Greenville Health System Swamp Rabbit Trail and is in close proximity to Caesar's Head State Park, Jones Gap State Park and Paris Mountain State Park. For golf, Green Valley Country Club, Furman Golf Club and Paris Mountain Country Club (formerly Summersett).
TR / Furman is way better. More scenery, less awful strip malls and cookie cutter neighborhoods that make you want to drive head on into a truck.

Old 03-09-2015, 07:25 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,919,924 times
Way better than.............?

Old 03-09-2015, 07:35 PM

5,491 posts, read 8,323,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GvegasProud View Post
TR / Furman is way better. More scenery, less awful strip malls and cookie cutter neighborhoods that make you want to drive head on into a truck.
Debatable

Old 03-09-2015, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
Way better than.............?
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcliffe View Post
Debatable
If you consider the commercial development on United States Route 25's frontage roads in Travelers Rest and on Poinsett Highway south of Old Buncombe Road into Greenville scenic, more power to you. I thought Poinsett Highway from Old Buncombe Road north to United States Route 25 was nicer.

Old 03-09-2015, 08:21 PM

5,491 posts, read 8,323,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
If you consider the commercial development on United States Route 25's frontage roads in Travelers Rest and on Poinsett Highway south of Old Buncombe Road into Greenville scenic, more power to you. I thought Poinsett Highway from Old Buncombe Road north to United States Route 25 was nicer.
I agree

Old 03-09-2015, 08:33 PM

113 posts, read 244,876 times
I would rather live in Beirut than Simpsonville. Awful. No character. Far from downtown. Horrible.

Old 03-09-2015, 08:41 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,919,924 times
^^^ But Simsponville has more growth than any of the other areas in GVL metro area. Must be doing something right. Right?

Old 03-09-2015, 08:54 PM

Quote:
I would rather live in Beirut than Simpsonville. Awful. No character. Far from downtown. Horrible.
I hope Lebanon is a more peaceful place to live than it was years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area