Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-09-2015, 09:14 PM
 
5,491 posts, read 8,326,381 times
Reputation: 2248

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GvegasProud View Post
I would rather live in Beirut than Simpsonville. Awful. No character. Far from downtown. Horrible.
Loaded with character and the melting pot of the Greenville area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-10-2015, 06:25 AM
 
Location: Upstate
9,503 posts, read 9,824,479 times
Reputation: 8901
Quote:
Originally Posted by GvegasProud View Post
I would rather live in Beirut than Simpsonville. Awful. No character. Far from downtown. Horrible.
Man you and G-man430 get around, Somalia and now Beirut. I swear you might even have lived in Powdersville at one point! Almost one in the same, me thinks!

I live in Simpsonville and really enjoy the area. Like I said in a similar post, Simpsonville is a nice, family community with a lot to offer.

TR is a great town in a beautiful area of the upstate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-11-2015, 02:15 PM
 
150 posts, read 217,660 times
Reputation: 415
Hyperbole (Simpsonville=Beirut?) aside...

My wife and I are in the same process as the OP, except we're moving from a small NE town. We found the area near Furman Univ to be much more attractive than what we saw in Simpsonville, where we thought the homes are far too close together, and there's just too much traffic. Originally, we thought that TR was a bit small and tired (and too much like where we live now), but on subsequent visits we began to like it. That said, we feel that if we live south of Furman we can have easy access to the SRT, TR (as much as we'd like it) and to GVL. Cherrydale would provide more in the way of shopping than we've ever had. We do a lot of biking (road and mountain) so it seems that area would suit us.

And yes, that couple of miles on 25 as you near (or leave) GVL is a bit dismaying. Glad to hear there's a push to improve it.

Our house in NE goes on the market next month, so we hope to be in GVL by the end of the summer. Good luck to the OP in their move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-11-2015, 04:35 PM
 
26 posts, read 40,745 times
Reputation: 36
Sovertennis- Your reasons sound exactly like ours. Where have you found near Furman? We have been getting some interesting eblasts for Partridge Ridge, looks like it's close to Furman, south of TR. Good access to TR on the SRT and close to Greenville. We love to bike, so I really like this area. It also is a subdivision, and has a pool. Reasonable prices. A bit worried about the overbuilding in Simpsonville for future home resale.
We just got an estimate on our house here in Chicagoland, and find out what it's worth tomorrow. Then we have a few things to fix. Hoping to get it in on the market within a year.

Keep the info coming all! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2015, 07:20 AM
 
150 posts, read 217,660 times
Reputation: 415
Quote:
Originally Posted by leddfd View Post
Sovertennis- Your reasons sound exactly like ours. Where have you found near Furman? We have been getting some interesting eblasts for Partridge Ridge, looks like it's close to Furman, south of TR. Good access to TR on the SRT and close to Greenville. We love to bike, so I really like this area. It also is a subdivision, and has a pool. Reasonable prices. A bit worried about the overbuilding in Simpsonville for future home resale.
We just got an estimate on our house here in Chicagoland, and find out what it's worth tomorrow. Then we have a few things to fix. Hoping to get it in on the market within a year.

Keep the info coming all! Thanks!

Yes, we've looked at houses in that area, including the Partridge Ridge subdivision. We like the neighborhood, it's proximity to Furman, the pool and tennis court. Prices seem to run from low $200's and up. That's where we're focusing, although we have seen some houses in Taylors that also would be suitable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2015, 09:31 AM
 
Location: South Carolina
21,023 posts, read 27,262,444 times
Reputation: 6000
Partridge Ridge is a decent neighborhood for its price range and its location.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2015, 08:38 AM
 
156 posts, read 227,307 times
Reputation: 165
Lots of empty nesters and active retired folks in TR/Furman area. As another poster mentioned, the OLLI program at Furman is a draw: OLLI. The Furman campus is a gorgeous spot that offers good cultural events and nice walking paths.

The Farmers Market and free concerts at Trailblazer Park are also a great asset. And, of course, the Swamp Rabbit Trail - which helped launch the gentrification of downtown TR.

I sometimes jokingly refer to TR as the "Vermont" of Greenville. It has some sophisticated stuff like $8 gourmet sandwiches at Upcountry Provisions and fancy coffee at Tandem and The Forest, but also has poverty and some genuine country folk. Housing ranges from mansions (drive by Green Valley Country Club) and very tidy subdivisions to a trailer park. I like the mix.

We have school-aged children and chose to go private. I think the public schools in TR are decent but not the most highly rated in Greenville County.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2015, 10:41 AM
 
Location: Wake Forest, NC
2,444 posts, read 2,871,773 times
Reputation: 2247
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA_Bo View Post
Lots of empty nesters and active retired folks in TR/Furman area. As another poster mentioned, the OLLI program at Furman is a draw: OLLI. The Furman campus is a gorgeous spot that offers good cultural events and nice walking paths.

The Farmers Market and free concerts at Trailblazer Park are also a great asset. And, of course, the Swamp Rabbit Trail - which helped launch the gentrification of downtown TR.

I sometimes jokingly refer to TR as the "Vermont" of Greenville. It has some sophisticated stuff like $8 gourmet sandwiches at Upcountry Provisions and fancy coffee at Tandem and The Forest, but also has poverty and some genuine country folk. Housing ranges from mansions (drive by Green Valley Country Club) and very tidy subdivisions to a trailer park. I like the mix.

We have school-aged children and chose to go private. I think the public schools in TR are decent but not the most highly rated in Greenville County.
One place we love just north of Travelers Rest is the Northwest Grill. It's a real dive, but has great burgers and great, friendly service.
There is also a farm just north of TR, Beechwood Frams, that has better prices thsn the Farmer's Market and is open every day except Sunday I think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-14-2015, 06:48 PM
 
26 posts, read 40,745 times
Reputation: 36
Thank you everyone! Any more tips would be great! TR subdivisions we should look at?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-19-2015, 01:15 PM
 
150 posts, read 217,660 times
Reputation: 415
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA_Bo View Post
Lots of empty nesters and active retired folks in TR/Furman area. As another poster mentioned, the OLLI program at Furman is a draw: OLLI. The Furman campus is a gorgeous spot that offers good cultural events and nice walking paths.

The Farmers Market and free concerts at Trailblazer Park are also a great asset. And, of course, the Swamp Rabbit Trail - which helped launch the gentrification of downtown TR.

I sometimes jokingly refer to TR as the "Vermont" of Greenville. It has some sophisticated stuff like $8 gourmet sandwiches at Upcountry Provisions and fancy coffee at Tandem and The Forest, but also has poverty and some genuine country folk. Housing ranges from mansions (drive by Green Valley Country Club) and very tidy subdivisions to a trailer park. I like the mix.

We have school-aged children and chose to go private. I think the public schools in TR are decent but not the most highly rated in Greenville County.
You're comment about TR being the VT of GVL made me chuckle. On our first trip through TR, my wife and I commented that it looked and felt too much like where we're moving from--VT. On our second trip though, we kind of thought it felt like home, with the added attraction of GVL being only a few minutes away.

The OLLI program at Furman, as well as the other stuff going on there, is also a draw for me. I can see myself biking to class from Partridge Ridge, or another neighborhood close by.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:




Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top