Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2015, 10:06 AM

21,023 posts, read 27,270,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WineDine21 View Post
My husband and I are visiting Travelers Rest in two weeks for the same purpose. What was your impression of the town and general area after visiting???
The City of Travelers Rest has been revitalizing itself in recent years, and is headed in a good direction. It is a gateway to northern Greenville County and outdoor activities, has access to the Greenville Health System Swamp Rabbit Trail, and is close to Furman University.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2015, 11:33 AM

150 posts, read 217,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WineDine21 View Post
My husband and I are visiting Travelers Rest in two weeks for the same purpose. What was your impression of the town and general area after visiting???
My wife and I have just returned from our third trip to GVL in the past 15 months. We're focused on the areas just south of TR (eg Northcliffe) because it's easily accessible to GVL and to TR. In just the short time that we've been visiting, TR seems to have blossomed (although maybe my first impression of it as a sleepy little hamlet that time forgot was completely wrong). We had lunch there last week after a morning of house-hunting and walked around the village; later we hiked the Sulpher Springs trail on Paris Mt, had dinner in downtown GVL then went to a ballgame. Had a pretty fine day.

We believe that living between TR and GVL will provide us with all we need in our semi-retirement and hope to have a home there by Labor Day. We're looking forward to it.

Good luck in your search.

Old 06-25-2015, 11:31 AM

8 posts, read 12,927 times
Hello all, we will be coming down to GVL by Saturday for week to visit. If all goes well we plan on moving down by spring 2016. We will visit various towns during are stay and attractions.

Old 12-15-2015, 07:07 AM

90 posts, read 104,107 times
Hello from another NE resident who is considering a move to the area. We will be visiting for a week over winter break - staying in TR. A tour of the greater Greenville area is in the cards for this couple, one retired and one soon to be so.

One concern of mine is the recent flooding in SC. With that in mind, I wonder if the upstate area was caught up in the deluge, and if specific areas should be avoided.

Old 12-15-2015, 07:58 AM

2,781 posts, read 3,296,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ftgrfr View Post
Hello from another NE resident who is considering a move to the area. We will be visiting for a week over winter break - staying in TR. A tour of the greater Greenville area is in the cards for this couple, one retired and one soon to be so.

One concern of mine is the recent flooding in SC. With that in mind, I wonder if the upstate area was caught up in the deluge, and if specific areas should be avoided.
There wasn't any significant flooding in this area. The Upstate is hilly and except for river corridors, there just aren't many parts of this area that flood. For the most part, it's pretty obvious which small areas around here are prone to flooding. If you aren't sure, you can always use online county GIS maps to view which areas are in a floodplain.

The significant flooding in the state was all in the midlands and coastal regions of the state, which are flatter and tend to flood more frequently.

Old 12-15-2015, 05:36 PM

90 posts, read 104,107 times
Thank you @whitewatervol

Old 12-16-2015, 09:26 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,544,998 times
One reason we like TR is because of the Rabbit Trail System. You can ride your bike all the way into town & not use your car & waste gas. Great way to spend the day in town eat all you want & ride it off going back home! Big plus for us! If I'm not wrong they are expanding the Rabbit Trail to Marietta? Or plan to or have not sure which.

Old 12-16-2015, 11:17 AM

1,845 posts, read 2,766,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
If I'm not wrong they are expanding the Rabbit Trail to Marietta? Or plan to or have not sure which.
I think the expansion to Marietta is still in the planning stages. In theory it should eventually extend to the NC line. I think the trail segment south of Greenville along Laurens Rd is the next section to be built, but I haven't seen any construction activity on it.

Old 12-16-2015, 09:08 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,544,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeoid View Post
I think the expansion to Marietta is still in the planning stages. In theory it should eventually extend to the NC line. I think the trail segment south of Greenville along Laurens Rd is the next section to be built, but I haven't seen any construction activity on it.

The idea of a bike/walking trail reminds of me the Rails To Trail system that seems to have got lost somewhere, saw the website for it looks like they have a ways to go.

Old 12-19-2015, 02:11 PM

11 posts, read 10,197 times
Travelers Rest is where it's at. I only now a few people that are actually happy living in the boring world of Simpsonville. The Northcliff area is really nice and right on the bike trail. Plus they are building a new fire station there, which is a good sign.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area