Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2015, 07:41 AM

2,781 posts, read 3,294,697 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
The idea of a bike/walking trail reminds of me the Rails To Trail system that seems to have got lost somewhere, saw the website for it looks like they have a ways to go.
The Swamp Rabbit trail started as a rails to trails system. Many parts of the Swamp Rabbit Trail are on old abandoned rail lines. The new proposed extension past the Haywood area would also be on an old rail line.

The new Doodle Trail between Pickens and Easley is also a rails to trails project.

There are quite a few of those trails out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2015, 03:14 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,542,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhitewaterVol View Post
The Swamp Rabbit trail started as a rails to trails system. Many parts of the Swamp Rabbit Trail are on old abandoned rail lines. The new proposed extension past the Haywood area would also be on an old rail line.

The new Doodle Trail between Pickens and Easley is also a rails to trails project.

There are quite a few of those trails out there.
The Swamp Rabbit trail is just one reason why I fell in love with Greenville. Yet another reason to live in TR & be able to ride your bike into town. I wonder how far they plan to expand it.

Old 12-21-2015, 03:26 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,406,923 times
Isn't that a long ride by bike? It takes at least 15 minutes to drive it.

Old 12-21-2015, 04:58 PM

2,444 posts, read 2,871,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
I believe it's 19 miles at this point, not that far.

Old 12-21-2015, 07:46 PM

Quote:
On a bike it's an easy ride & 19 miles on a bike isn't a bike deal. My wife & I hike 15-20 miles so this wouldn't be a problem. Besides the idea of taking it easy & enjoying the ride is worth it. So is thinking about all the gas your saving even more so.

Old 12-21-2015, 08:05 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,406,923 times
how many mph does the average person get on a bike? I could see 19 miles taking me 2 hours. I assume heading back to TR is uphill which could be pretty brutal.

I may have to do this once so I can say I did it.

Old 12-21-2015, 09:45 PM

Quote:
how many mph does the average person get on a bike? I could see 19 miles taking me 2 hours. I assume heading back to TR is uphill which could be pretty brutal.

I may have to do this once so I can say I did it.

I believe it would depend on what type of bike you were riding. Mtn/Road bike & of course what type of pace you can keep. If I was biking into town from TR one day odds are it would take about 2 hours so I could enjoy it. Even more so if you were towing a small wagon to carry things back home.

Old 12-22-2015, 07:36 AM

2,781 posts, read 3,294,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
The Swamp Rabbit trail is just one reason why I fell in love with Greenville. Yet another reason to live in TR & be able to ride your bike into town. I wonder how far they plan to expand it.
When they initially chose mile markers, they did so with the thought that the trail would eventually extend to the NC state line. On the other end, there has been some discussion about finding a way to extend it south to Simpsonville and/or Fountain Inn, which would take it to the southern end of Greenville County.

For the Doodle Trail, there is a long term vision to join that to a Greenway that will head south of Easley to Easley High School (Brushy Creek Greenway). They also plan to connect it to the bike trails out at Town Creek Park in Pickens. A long term goal is to connect the cities of Pickens, Easley, and Liberty by bike trails. They formed a group called Pelcor back around 2010 with this as a goal. Progress has been pretty slow but some of the projects are finally starting to bear fruit.

Old 12-28-2015, 11:08 AM

26 posts, read 40,739 times
Originally Posted by WineDine21 View Post
My husband and I are visiting Travelers Rest in two weeks for the same purpose. What was your impression of the town and general area after visiting???

I don't know if I ever answered this! Sorry! We love the area. TR, Greer and Taylors is where we are focused. We receive email blasts, daily, with houses and land for sale. Right now, my husband has fallen in love with Cherokee Valley (he loves the golf and mountains), I like a little closer- Castle Rock in Greer. Haven't found what we like in TR, but that is such a nice area, I hope something comes up. The only thing we don't like is all the rain SC gets! But I guess it's a trade off with no snow! Happy New Year!

Old 12-29-2015, 04:37 AM

604 posts, read 584,636 times
SC gets a fairly average amount of rain. We've been having lots of it this fall because of El Nino. Despite a very dry summer, we're well above average for the year- all made up in recent months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area