Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2016, 09:22 AM

142 posts, read 176,614 times

Advertisements

Hi all. My husband and I, with our 2 teenagers, will be coming down for a week in July from Chicago suburbs to visit the Travelers Rest area. As another poster mentioned, we did hear that the area is a little "redneck, hillbillyish", but maybe that's changed with new people moving in. Not that we look down at any type of people! - just it's very different from what we're used to. We were considering Greenville since it's a larger - we like a nice variety of restaurants, coffee shops - but TR is closer to mountain hiking and we could more easily find a house with great mountain views. Another area we're considering The Cliffs Valley Resort. We've heard that they went through a bankruptcy and so many people there were trying to sell their homes, but it might now be coming back now and getting better again? Anyone that can provide information on this? Thanks for any advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2016, 10:09 AM

26 posts, read 40,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HelenJim View Post
Hi all. My husband and I, with our 2 teenagers, will be coming down for a week in July from Chicago suburbs to visit the Travelers Rest area. As another poster mentioned, we did hear that the area is a little "redneck, hillbillyish", but maybe that's changed with new people moving in. Not that we look down at any type of people! - just it's very different from what we're used to. We were considering Greenville since it's a larger - we like a nice variety of restaurants, coffee shops - but TR is closer to mountain hiking and we could more easily find a house with great mountain views. Another area we're considering The Cliffs Valley Resort. We've heard that they went through a bankruptcy and so many people there were trying to sell their homes, but it might now be coming back now and getting better again? Anyone that can provide information on this? Thanks for any advice!
Hi! We are from the Chicago Suburbs, too! Crystal Lake, to be exact! We have been researching and have visited TR, Greer, Taylors, Simpsonville, and Greenville. Actually going back Friday to hopefully purchase a piece of property! Not sure if you read thru this thread (I started it when we were first headed there a year ago). We loved Greenville. I mean, LOVED. Big city in a small city. Fun bars, restaurants, and many things to do. My husband is a big golfer, so we really wanted to be close to golf. We found a great realtor who "got us". Everyone kept trying to push us to Simpsonville. To me, that was just like the Chicago suburbs. Traffic and strip malls! When we went exploring we found that TR was not the "hillbilly" area people told us about. So many transplants, we barely found people who were native to SC! Actually has beautiful areas in it and is expanding almost daily! We are currently going back to re look at Cherokee Valley in TR. It was built during the boom and then basically crashed. But now, the builder we really liked has bought up lots and is building there! We are so excited! We did look at the Cliffs, but we want to downsize and that was not in our budget! LOL! If you want the name of the realtor (we are not pushing them, but they were great to work with) and any other info, please email me! Good luck. YOu will have a blast! Bring your bikes- the Swamp Rabbit Trail is beautiful, go to Ceasars Head and hike, drive up to Asheville and enjoy! But most of all, go eat in Greenville! Cazbah was my favorite, but my husband loved Grill Marks-Great burgers! And, if you have dogs, the area is extremely dog friendly!!! We are staying in a VRBO house, so if you need any more info, let me know! Good luck on your search!!!

Old 03-14-2016, 11:21 AM

Leddfd - thank you so much for your reply!! We live in Hinsdale! We will definitely look at TR while we're there, and I will PM you later (gotta run now) for your realtor which you kindly offered. What was your impression of The Cliffs? We have a pretty healthy budget, and will pay for great mountain views. Are there things there to do, any restaurants besides the clubhouse, or would you have drive a bit for restaurants, coffee, etc. ? The other area we are going to go look at is the Knoxville area - probably Maryville, which is just a little south of there. We fell in love with a house online (LOL), but it's in Townsend, which has hardly any downtown, so we'd need to drive at least 15-20 minutes for good restaurants, shopping, etc. If anyone can chime in on the Maryville/Townsend area, I'd appreciate it. I'll PM you later, leddfd!

Old 03-14-2016, 03:35 PM

26 posts, read 40,734 times
HelenJim- just sent you a couple of PM's! We looked in TN, too.... LOL!

Old 03-14-2016, 05:47 PM

Thanks leddfd! We can't wait to go check out the areas in July!

Old 05-16-2019, 10:56 AM

8 posts, read 6,362 times
Wondering if you two, HelenJim and leddfd, made the move? Would love to hear your input on the area! Thanks in advance!

Old 05-16-2019, 09:37 PM

5,893 posts, read 12,812,715 times
I'm originally from Elgin and Park Ridge, Illinois and have lived in this area for the past 11 years. I live in Greer, which is ideal for me, but I really like the Travelers Rest area a lot -- way more than Simpsonville! I wish you the best in whatever you decide, but definitely get the heck out of Illinois!

Old 05-17-2019, 09:54 AM

18 posts, read 19,323 times
IhateIL - We decided on the Cliffs Mountain Park - we bought a lot last year and are now building on it! It should be done around the end of the year or a little later. We love Greenville, but didn't want to live there or TR because it's hard to find a lot or house with great mountain views. Plus, we wanted to be in a planned community with activities so we'll have an easier time making friends since we don't know anyone in the area. I won't like the distance to get to Greenville, and TR is a bit of a drive too, but hopefully it won't bother us too much. Need to see if Uber (or similar) would drive between the Cliffs and Greenville! Good luck!

Old 05-30-2019, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotogGal View Post
I'm originally from Elgin and Park Ridge, Illinois and have lived in this area for the past 11 years. I live in Greer, which is ideal for me, but I really like the Travelers Rest area a lot -- way more than Simpsonville! I wish you the best in whatever you decide, but definitely get the heck out of Illinois!

Good to know, thank you so much PhotogGal! & Yes, I hear ya, Lol, can't wait to get out! All the best to you!

Old 05-30-2019, 04:41 PM

HelenJim2- Oh, that's great. Best of luck to you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area