Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2015, 07:03 PM

26 posts, read 40,721 times

Advertisements

Greeting all. My husband and I are in are late 50's and are planning a move to the Greenville, SC area, from the Chicagoland area, in the spring/summer of 2016. We are coming to town mid April to begin our property/house area search. I have been intrigued by the Travelers Rest area, as I love the mountains and all of the outdoor activities there seem to be there, and the proximity to downtown Greenville. Our budget is $200,000 max. We are deciding on whether to build or buy, and need answers to that questions, too! My biggest question is, what is the difference between Simpsonville and Travelers Rest? Best for someone who likes to be involved in outdoor activities, shopping, golfing, and making new friends? We have been noticing areas that have community pools and that was interesting too. We had heard from others in the Greenville area that TR might be a bit run down? I hope not, because it is my first choice from all I have read! Any suggestions, help would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2015, 08:55 PM

21,020 posts, read 27,229,164 times
I advise you consider the Travelers Rest and Furman University area. It has immediate access to the Greenville Health System Swamp Rabbit Trail and is in close proximity to Caesar's Head State Park, Jones Gap State Park and Paris Mountain State Park. For golf, Green Valley Country Club, Furman Golf Club and Paris Mountain Country Club (formerly Summersett).

Old 03-08-2015, 05:21 AM

1,845 posts, read 2,762,351 times
The big difference between Simpsonville and Travelers Rest is that Simpsonville is about 30 minutes further away from the mountains.

Old 03-08-2015, 06:14 AM

71 posts, read 96,351 times
I agree with Knight especially if you enjoy outdoor activities and the mountains plus Furman University has a beautiful campus. The only thing I don't like is the stretch of Poinsett Highway when traveling from Travelers Rest/Furman towards downtown Greenville because it does have run down areas as you get closer to town. The good news is there is a group called Poinsett Corridor Revitalization Coalition working on that issue. The Poinsett District | Greenville SC

Old 03-08-2015, 06:56 AM

2,443 posts, read 2,867,800 times
I think of Simpsonville more as a typical suburb. It does have a cute dowtown and some lovely neighborhoods, but I agree with the others re: TR and the Furman area. In addition, Furman often has programs that might interested you, and they have the OLLI center for lifelong learning.
As for whether to build or buy, I would think you would need to come here and take a look at what is available to answer that. There is a great deal of new construction going on in that area, and you may be able to find a new, but already or almost built home as well.

Old 03-08-2015, 07:18 AM

896 posts, read 1,139,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnimee View Post
I agree with Knight especially if you enjoy outdoor activities and the mountains plus Furman University has a beautiful campus. The only thing I don't like is the stretch of Poinsett Highway when traveling from Travelers Rest/Furman towards downtown Greenville because it does have run down areas as you get closer to town. The good news is there is a group called Poinsett Corridor Revitalization Coalition working on that issue. The Poinsett District | Greenville SC
This is good to know. It is needed. I do not like the stretch of Poinsett Highway when traveling from TR towards downtown. This is one of the reasons we chose not to buy in TR. We ended up in Simpsonville.

Old 03-08-2015, 10:22 AM

745 posts, read 2,232,594 times
TR is a great little town, but it has only recently begun a revitalization, so there are some areas that are a little run-down. It's definitely on the upswing, though, with lots of good things going on. It's hard to find nice little traditional towns in the deep south that retain their charm, but are also enjoying healthy growth. The way they set up TR, all of the chain stores and fast food joints are on Hwy 25, and everything a mile away on Main Street is local. I choose to ignore the big chain operations and try to support the local businesses.

A big plus for TR is the Swamp Rabbit Trail, which not only provides a place to walk or bike, but it is also funneling potential customers into TR, which is vital if all of the new restaurants are to survive. They spruced up Main Street, and built a nice park nearby, with music and food trucks for various occasions. There is a decent farmer's market there as well during the warm months.

Shopping covers the basics, such as Wal-Mart, Tractor Supply, and several supermarkets, but you need to go to Haywood Mall or Woodruff Rd to get more department stores and specialty items. We'd rather be close to the mountains and outdoors every day and travel once a month or so for shopping, but that's not for everybody.

Old 03-08-2015, 10:34 AM

8,963 posts, read 8,913,449 times
How are TR schools though? And how come the lots and homes in Green Valley are so slow to sell?

Old 03-08-2015, 02:57 PM

26 posts, read 40,721 times
Thank you all so much! We had someone tell us to avoid TR and I was sad. They said it was "redneck" and backwards and we wouldn't like it. I love small town charm and really was looking forward to exploring that area when we come to Greenville in April. I forgot about the proximity to Furman, that is a big plus to me, being a retired teacher! I am glad they are working on the run down area. Any other tips or hints to areas to look at in TR? Much appreciated info!

Old 03-08-2015, 04:05 PM

21,020 posts, read 27,229,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnimee View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by lv2trvl View Post
This is good to know. It is needed. I do not like the stretch of Poinsett Highway when traveling from TR towards downtown. This is one of the reasons we chose not to buy in TR. We ended up in Simpsonville.
Poinsett Highway from United States Highway 25 to south of Old Buncombe Road is not bad. From South Buncombe Road into the city, aesthetic improvements can be made. I would not mind seeing some landscaped medians.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area