U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2008, 06:27 AM

266 posts, read 975,502 times

Advertisements

I was just curious if anyone else has experienced this.....

We have been here for almost 6 months now. Originally from MA but spent 1 1/2 yrs in FL before moving here.

Since we have been here my husband an I have had the worst cold/flu we have ever had. We have never been ones to go to the doctors unless it was for checkups and we are both healthy. But we have been on antibiotics, prescription cough medicines and decongestants twice. Mine may be a combinations of allergies and a cold but I was sick for 2 months straight, better for 2 weeks and now I am all congested again. Also my youngest daughter has had 4 ear infections since we moved in July (may have to have tubes put in) and my oldest daughter has had 2.

Sorry this is lengthy, just wondering if anyone else has had anything similiar or been sick more often since moving here? I am starting to think its something in our newly built house, but then again I am grabbing at straws!

Thanks for any responses!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2008, 09:14 AM

2,259 posts, read 5,447,064 times
Default hmmm...

you know i've been wondering the same thing myself, i've been sick like 4 times in the 8 months i've been here, and I usually get sick very rarely, like once a year, I obviously have nothing to add to the conversation except speculation, but I think you may be right about the allergens in the air making you sick more often, my fiance' recently had a bad sinus infection that caused her to look like she had pink eye in both eyes! anyway just wanted to let you know you're not the only one

P.S. i'm from upstate NY, just for comparisons sake

Old 01-15-2008, 09:21 AM

Sorry to hear that you are having the same luck! But I'm glad we are not the only ones. Very Strange!

Old 01-15-2008, 09:41 AM

5,235 posts, read 8,219,891 times
Wow. This is weirding me out. We've been here since October and have been sick for the past two months!! I hadn't been sick in many years before this. I also notice a whole lot of people coughing while at the stores, etc. What gives? Has this been an unusually bad year for illness here? Any doctors on this board? The doctor I went to thought I had the whooping cough bug that went through BJU, but we did not do the $300 test to confirm it because my health insurance hadn't kicked in yet. I am about to have to go in to the doc for the third time, I think. Last visit ( a month ago) I had both a viral AND bacterial infection going on. This is getting really tiresome.

We came down from Northern VA.

Old 01-16-2008, 12:15 PM

10 posts, read 48,441 times
We moved here about 2 1/2 years ago from Colorado - since we've been here my daughter has a constant cough, allergies, ear infections, bronchitis, flu - you name it. The past few months have been especially bad for both her and myself - we're on our third or fourth round of the flu with a never-ending cough.
I had been attributing it to the house we bought, since it's not a new home - but now I'm not so sure anymore...
In the 10 years we lived in Colorado, i had maybe 3 bouts of the flu alltogether...now, three in the past 5 months. Weird stuff.
Something in the water here?

Old 01-16-2008, 01:06 PM

I have to say this has me worried. And to have it happening to you after 2 1/2 years is just scary .

I had a cough that would not go away, and I started thinking I was really sick, but the prescription cough medicine worked and finally after the 2 months of being sick it went away. Now I am just dealing with the congestion and ear infections.

I really hope this is just something that has to be adjusted to, but it sounds like something more.

Old 01-17-2008, 05:42 AM

10 posts, read 48,441 times
we thought we had a mold problem in the house - we had all the ductwork cleaned, but of course that is only a cosmetic thing at best, since they never can get all of whatever is in there out.
we had the carpet replaced - repainted the walls, etc. - and still, there's a constant sniffle thing going on at the very least.
We love the location of our house, but right about now, I'm ready to have the whole structure torn down and to build a new house on the lot - which of course we can't afford...
We've gone through two bottles of Triaminic and two bottles of Benadryl just over the past six months. yuck.

Old 01-17-2008, 07:01 AM

Default I here ya

I told my husband if it kept up we might have to consider moving again, even though I love it here. Of course I will give it a few years before that is an option.

When we got flu in October we went through 4 bottles of NyQuil and 5 bottles of Dayquil between my husband and I. I laugh because I swear the pharmacist must think we are addicted (not that thats funny) to medication since we are always there for cough medicine or amoxicillin. I hate having my kids on that stuff so often, but they are miserable when they get the ear infections.

You have an older home and I have a brand new home....might have to rule the house thing out. Must be something in the air.

Old 01-17-2008, 09:44 AM

5,235 posts, read 8,219,891 times
Default Aaaaarrrrggh

So I went to the doctor yesterday for the third time in two months (which is more times than I've gone in the previous three years!). I STILL have a throat and ear infection, so now I am on my third type and third round of antibiotics. I hate this. We, too, have been suspicious of the older home we live in, but I have lived in many older homes without getting sick before. We went out to eat last week and the people on both sides of us were coughing and hacking, so I don't know if I am "re-catching" a bug, or not fully getting rid of the one I already had. I used to work around kids, and was always exposed to bugs without getting sick myself. What gives? Maybe the bugs in the south are more resistant to what we were used to in Colorado and VA?

Aaaaarrrrggh. ( I would actually say aaaaarrrrggh, but it hurts my throat )

Old 01-17-2008, 03:32 PM

4,922 posts, read 7,096,530 times
The first year I lived in NC I came down with the worst super cold I have ever had. I went to a local MD who told me I had what he refers to as the "Carolina Crud." I suffered for six weeks before it finally let up. Then next year I lived in SC and did not get it.
As for allergies, Greenville SC is one of the worst places to live for allergy sufferers. NC is almost as bad. I had great success taking Allegra.

Don
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area