Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2015, 07:16 PM

2,213 posts, read 2,843,033 times

Advertisements

With staff knowledgeable in how to care for them? Around Greenville
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2015, 08:43 AM

7 posts, read 12,757 times
South Pleasantburg Nursery | 1135 S. Pleasantburg Drive, Greenville, SC 29605 864-299-6677 or Lichtenfelt Nurseries are both great nurseries.

What type are you looking to plant? Check out espalier / training.

Old 05-04-2015, 01:25 PM

4 posts, read 11,494 times
gvsteve, ever figure out where to get fruit trees in Greenville?

Also, anybody know what kind of fruits are suitable for Greenville? My wife and I are moving to Greenville from Chicago soon and would love to have some kind of fruit growing... I heard figs can grow down there, anything else?

Old 05-04-2015, 01:31 PM

17,572 posts, read 15,237,377 times
Apples, Figs.. Getting away from trees and fruit.. Muscadine vines do great.. Strawberries. Pecan trees are very popular.

Peaches.. SC is the largest peach producing state.. Even moreso than Georgia.. However, every dang year my trees get hit by a late freeze.. Right after they bloom.

Old 05-04-2015, 03:07 PM

745 posts, read 2,232,594 times
Blueberries do very well here, and require a lot less work than peaches and apples, which take a lot of spraying. Our neighbor has pears that seem to do fine without any real work, either.

Old 05-04-2015, 08:01 PM

5,015 posts, read 8,179,127 times
I have a variety of figs, 20+ varities of just blueberrys alone, raspberrys, blackberrys, honeyberrys, strawberries, goji berry, elderberry, pears, peaches, apples, plums, cherry, grapes, muscadines and a loquat, though I'm not sure if it will fruit here. I'm sure I've forgotten something.

Summer is great for gardening here. I planted a garden for the first time in my life last year and grew over a dozen different type of melons. This year it's even more. Let's not even talk about the literally hundreds of plants I have planted in my yard, and bulbs that number wellmover 500! I have become a ttue gardener!

There are a lot of fruits you can grow here, just do your home work. Just remember, unless you have trees that are already established it will take a while to see the fruits of your labor.

Old 05-05-2015, 12:31 AM

4 posts, read 11,494 times
Wow didn't know there were so many fruits you can grow in Greenville... don't mean to hijack the thread but where can one buy a few established fruit trees? Particularly peach, fig, and maybe blueberries. Also, I should have also mentioned that my wife and I aren't particularly good with gardening... any recs for sites to go to or places we can go to learn more about how to care for these plants?

Old 05-05-2015, 10:33 AM

5,238 posts, read 8,790,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangfj View Post
Also, I should have also mentioned that my wife and I aren't particularly good with gardening... any recs for sites to go to or places we can go to learn more about how to care for these plants?
Here ya go. Bookmark it and refer to it often.

Complete List of HGIC Fact Sheets & Links : Extension : Clemson University : South Carolina

Old 05-08-2015, 06:48 AM

53 posts, read 67,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janinsc View Post
South Pleasantburg Nursery | 1135 S. Pleasantburg Drive, Greenville, SC 29605 864-299-6677 or Lichtenfelt Nurseries are both great nurseries.

What type are you looking to plant? Check out espalier / training.
I agree with this recommendation. Both of these nurseries are very knowledgeable and many of their plant offerings align with the Clemson HGIC recommended cultivars for our region.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area