Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2015, 09:15 PM

1 posts, read 908 times

Advertisements

Hi. My husband and I have suffered a series of devastating losses in the past year. From death of family members to losing everything in a fire. We want to move to a new place and rebuild our lives. After much research on the internet, we think the Greenville area may be the place. But we have a few questions we were hoping could be answered here.

We are looking for a house or mobile home to rent. I've seen some great places on Craigslist, but was wondering if there were certain bad areas to avoid. Would like to be in a thirty minute radius of Greenville. Schools aren't an issue,but of course, we want to avoid high crime areas. Our plan is to stay at an extended stay inn upon arrival and begin house hunting. Knowing the best places to look would help. Any other advice about the area is greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2015, 04:22 AM

745 posts, read 2,239,057 times
So sorry to hear of all of your problems! Let the healing begin.

It would help to know a bit more about your likes/needs/aversions. 30 minutes is actually a pretty wide area. We are in a rural area well north of Travelers Rest, but it is generally a 30 minute ride to Main St. in Greenville. We are some 15 miles out. In other directions, at the wrong time of day in a traffic jam, you might not go anywhere in 30 minutes!

As I said, our area is rural, with all of the positives and negatives that encompasses. We like the natural beauty and easy access to the mountains. It's quiet and private. There's no traffic, so a ride in a convertible or on a motorcycle is fun trip. On the downside- it is farther to shopping and other services, and rural areas in SC have a lot of mobile homes and shacks unless you pay the premium to live in a fancy, button-down subdivision. I personally have no problem with that, but some do.

The popular areas seem to be east and south of Greenville, such as Simpsonville and Mauldin. Lots of shopping, easy access to the Interstate, and many typical suburban subdivisions. Not my cup of tea, but many like it.

Areas to avoid seem to be west and north of Greenville, such as Berea. Further out, Marietta is kind of shabby.

Possibilities include Travelers Rest, Greer, Mauldin, Simpsonville, Anderson, and Easley. There are a number of small towns in between those, of course. You haven't said anything about work, which would affect your decision as well.

Old 06-25-2015, 08:25 AM

792 posts, read 500,385 times
If you post the CL listings (or a nearby intersection) we can give you our thoughts. It's hard to say in general, because things can go from "nice" to "shady" in 100 feet sometimes. This isn't a dig at Greenville, it's probably true of all cities.

Old 06-25-2015, 05:24 PM

1,153 posts, read 1,670,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allingoodtime1971 View Post
Hi. My husband and I have suffered a series of devastating losses in the past year. From death of family members to losing everything in a fire. We want to move to a new place and rebuild our lives. After much research on the internet, we think the Greenville area may be the place. But we have a few questions we were hoping could be answered here.

We are looking for a house or mobile home to rent. I've seen some great places on Craigslist, but was wondering if there were certain bad areas to avoid. Would like to be in a thirty minute radius of Greenville. Schools aren't an issue,but of course, we want to avoid high crime areas. Our plan is to stay at an extended stay inn upon arrival and begin house hunting. Knowing the best places to look would help. Any other advice about the area is greatly appreciated.
Plenty of crime ridden areas here.

Get a good real estate agent. Internet forums are only one part of a good research plan.

The cheaper areas tend to have more crime. The higher home value areas tend to have less.

Greenville County Sherriff office links to this crime map:

RAIDS Online: Regional Analysis and Information Sharing

You'll see a lot more crime in the dense downtown where there are lots more people, more of the poor and more bars. Also, the west side of town has more crime than the east. Get out further into the country and there's lots less crime, because there are less people per square mile.

Old 06-25-2015, 06:03 PM

16,955 posts, read 16,811,162 times
I worry more about the Craigslist ads you are reading, which are full of scammers, than I do about you finding a safe area. Please be careful on Craigslist and don't send anyone any money until you come out here see the place, see the rental contract and whatever else you need to make sure it is a legit listing...

Greenville and surrounding cities are beautiful! As with every city in the U.S. you have some parts that are not as good as others.

May I suggest Easley? If your heart is not set on any particular city. Easley is small town, but lots of new shopping!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area