U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2015, 08:49 AM

60 posts, read 54,198 times

Advertisements

My wife and I moved to Florida in August, used a friend's address to establish residence, got jobs and drivers licenses. Our lease is up on December 1st where we are staying, and we are shoked at how real the snowbird effect is. Rents have easily gone up, across the board, by $200 in the past month. Now there is nothing affordable close to where we work. The jobs we have aren't great jobs, but they seem to be our only options in Florida.

So, we are thinking about trying out the Spartanburg - Greenville area, as it looks like there are some nice apartments for a lot cheaper than here. Where we are living now, you can easily pay $900 for an illegal studio in someone's house without a stove or any furniture or appliances besides a microwave and a fridge. Sure, the weather is great, but we also miss hiking, and heard that the Greenville area could be nice for people who are interested in trail running and the outdoors in general.

My wife is from Peru. Is there any Spanish-speaking population in the area? She speaks OK English, but would probably work as a maid in a hotel initially. She has a background in banking and as an assistant accountant in Peru.

My concerns: $7.25 is a pretty low minimum wage. I have an Associates Degree and Bachelor of Arts degree (not the most practical), is there a good job market for people like me with these general qualifications? We are Christians, and heard that the area is predominantly Christian, but I'm not sure if people are that welcoming of foreigners, regardless.

My background is in Horticulture, but I also have significant experience in the transporation industry.

Anyway, the main point of the thread is to hear from people who have recently moved there, how is the process for establishing residence, getting drivers licenses and car registration. Where do you go? What do you need? And how much does it cost?

Last edited by crowsandcats; 11-02-2015 at 08:58 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2015, 09:00 AM

12,319 posts, read 28,706,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crowsandcats View Post
My wife and I moved to Florida in August, used a friend's address to establish residence, got jobs and drivers licenses. Our lease is up on December 1st where we are staying, and we are shoked at how real the snowbird effect is. Rents have easily gone up, across the board, by $200 in the past month. Now there is nothing affordable close to where we work. The jobs we have aren't great jobs, but they seem to be our only options in Florida.

So, we are thinking about trying out the Spartanburg - Greenville area, as it looks like there are some nice apartments for a lot cheaper than here. Where we are living now, you can easily pay $900 for an illegal studio in someone's house without a stove or any furniture or appliances besides a microwave and a fridge. Sure, the weather is great, but we also miss hiking, and heard that the Greenville area could be nice for people who are interested in trail running and the outdoors in general.

My wife is from Peru. Is there any Spanish-speaking population in the area? She speaks OK English, but would probably work as a maid in a hotel initially. She has a background in banking and as an assistant accountant in Peru.

My concerns: $7.25 is a pretty low minimum wage. I have an Associates Degree and Bachelor of Arts degree (not the most practical), is there a good job market for people like me with these general qualifications? We are Christians, and heard that the area is predominantly Christian, but I'm not sure if people are that welcoming of foreigners, regardless.

I've applied to some entry-level post office jobs there. The pay would be about $16 per hour, but I might only work one or two days per week and would be on call. My background is in Horticulture, but I also have significant experience in the transporation industry.

Anyway, the main point of the thread is to hear from people who have recently moved there, how is the process for establishing residence, getting drivers licenses and car registration. Where do you go? What do you need? And how much does it cost?
We actually moved here from FL. To answer your question about establishing your residence, license and car registration, it's just like anywhere else. You have to bring documentation that you live here (lease), your license, etc.

http://www.scdmvonline.com/dmvnew/de...se_information

I believe, over by Whitehorse Rd by the flea market, there are many Spanish speaking individuals. There are also other areas with them scattered around.

This area is known for manufacturing. Although you don't have a specific degree in something, I am sure you can still find something decent. Your wife should have no problem finding a job in a hotel either.

Old 11-02-2015, 09:04 AM

2,783 posts, read 2,618,327 times
Th SC DMV website lists what you need to get a license:
http://www.scdmvonline.com/dmvnew/de...identification

Old 11-02-2015, 11:57 AM

2,966 posts, read 4,586,911 times
Yes, there is a very large Hispanic population here. I'm not sure about Spartanburg, but Greenville and Greer for sure. There is a fairly large Hispanic section of Greer near downtown right on the other side of the downtown park, you may want to check out. They have some stores there and a grocery that caters to Hispanic products.

As for the DMV, its pretty basic, just make sure you go over the list of what you need to bring and follow it to perfection. It took me 3 trips to get my license, and the last time I went in, I was met at the door by a man leaving, yelling back over his shoulder to an employee "********* lady! I'm keeping your pen!" Lol. A trip to the DMV can be fun in any state.

Manufacturing, hospitality, landscape jobs are pretty abundant.

Old 11-02-2015, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
We actually moved here from FL. To answer your question about establishing your residence, license and car registration, it's just like anywhere else. You have to bring documentation that you live here (lease), your license, etc.

http://www.scdmvonline.com/dmvnew/de...se_information

I believe, over by Whitehorse Rd by the flea market, there are many Spanish speaking individuals. There are also other areas with them scattered around.

This area is known for manufacturing. Although you don't have a specific degree in something, I am sure you can still find something decent. Your wife should have no problem finding a job in a hotel either.
Why did you leave Florida? And why did you decide on Greenville?

Old 11-03-2015, 12:25 PM

12,319 posts, read 28,706,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crowsandcats View Post
Why did you leave Florida? And why did you decide on Greenville?
That's a good question. Honestly, I liked FL outside of how long the heat lasted. It was my DH who wanted to move. We are originally from PA and he missed it there. We had to compromise and I didn't want to go back to the freezing cold and undesirable area. I started researching for quite a few years. I was having trouble finding what I was looking for. Originally it was Raleigh, NC but still wasn't completely sold. I listed my wants on here and one of the members told me about Greenville. We visited and really liked it. I like the beach and we almost didn't come here because I thought it was too far. We were going to move outside of Charleston but it didn't work out. Long story short, we ended up in Greenville. For the most part, we both like it here. It's nice to have seasons with only a short and brief winter. We like downtown and being close to the mountains and major cities without being too big. We have all the conveniences we need here within a short distance. The COL is very reasonable. Our car insurance was double in FL.

Old 11-03-2015, 02:29 PM

56 posts, read 44,152 times
We just did this moving into SC. I think the process was:
1. Get SC insurance cards.
2. Go to county tax dept, pay personal tax.
3. We used passports and social security cards for IDs. Had utility bills for residency.
4. Bring check or charge card. I think the fee was $25.

The office in Greer was very good, reasonably quick. Best choice is to drop in and go the the information desk to review what is needed. They were very helpful.

Also, I think you can skip 1,2 if you are not registering a car (but the link on the DMV site is not clear on this one as they mention needing insurance in some places).

Old 11-08-2015, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by norm42 View Post
We just did this moving into SC. I think the process was:
1. Get SC insurance cards.
2. Go to county tax dept, pay personal tax.
3. We used passports and social security cards for IDs. Had utility bills for residency.
4. Bring check or charge card. I think the fee was $25.

The office in Greer was very good, reasonably quick. Best choice is to drop in and go the the information desk to review what is needed. They were very helpful.

Also, I think you can skip 1,2 if you are not registering a car (but the link on the DMV site is not clear on this one as they mention needing insurance in some places).
$25 to register a car? That's pretty cheap considering it's about $400 in FL.. I've heard that South Carolina charges you with an annual car tax though, which evens things out.

Old 11-09-2015, 05:24 AM

510 posts, read 359,094 times
SC does have personal property tax, not only on cars, but boats, etc. It's not very much on older, higher mileage cars. My wife's 1999 Olds was about $60. Probably part of the reason that there are a lot of old beater cars on the roads.

We moved from west central FL a few years ago. We wanted a more balanced four-season climate, and it's (mostly) less crowded, and the cost of living is cheaper.

I found the process of getting a license and registering cars to be pretty straightforward, although you don't pay your taxes at the same place you register the car, so there's some driving around. There is a DMV right across the street from the Greenville County Tax office, should you settle in Greenville County. I think you need to get your driver's license first, and if you have a current out-of-state license, you just take a vision test. If you have a high tolerance for government bureaucracy, you could probably get it all done in one visit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area