Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2016, 12:02 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,453,685 times

Advertisements

$22 million Greenville Park approved

Mayor Knox White says the planning and project is very similar to the tearing down of Camperdown Bridge to resurrect Falls Park.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2016, 04:08 PM

1,153 posts, read 1,669,847 times
I wonder where all those folks work the sanitation side will work, the ones without cars. Can't walk to work in Mauldin from there anymore. I guess this is the plan, reclaim that part of Greenville for the rich folks who can afford $200K-$300K condos.

I also would think Mauldin would be on the outer edge of their service routes for the trash trucks. Might increase fuel costs and add to non-value added transport from

Old 04-18-2016, 08:41 AM

2,781 posts, read 3,317,873 times
From the article:
"$18 million of the project will come from the city’s general fund, but roughly $7 million will come from the Storm Water program. "

I think this park is a great idea but don't agree with spending $7 million from Storm Water funds for the project. Those funds are supposed to be earmarked for a specific purpose, and this project does not meet that purpose.

Old 04-18-2016, 08:58 AM

13,034 posts, read 18,893,542 times
You can't beat a nice waterfront park.

Old 04-18-2016, 09:03 PM

102 posts, read 122,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhitewaterVol View Post
From the article:
"$18 million of the project will come from the city’s general fund, but roughly $7 million will come from the Storm Water program. "

I think this park is a great idea but don't agree with spending $7 million from Storm Water funds for the project. Those funds are supposed to be earmarked for a specific purpose, and this project does not meet that purpose.
Typical of politicians. Steal $ for a project from funds CLEARLY not intended for the project and then raise taxes to fund the projects for which the stolen funds were intended to cover. Just watch, that tax increase WILL happen.

Old 04-22-2016, 03:03 PM

6,900 posts, read 22,587,681 times
I read about this when it was announced. The area floods, as I recall and this will help reduce flood losses. Sounds like a solid use for storm water funds to me, if that is the case.

Old 04-22-2016, 05:30 PM

1,153 posts, read 1,669,847 times
I go over there from time to time and I wasn't aware that it floods.

Old 04-22-2016, 05:34 PM

241 posts, read 388,774 times
http://www.greenvillesc.gov/DocumentCenter/View/627

Old 04-23-2016, 01:59 PM

5,238 posts, read 8,820,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transplant08 View Post
The flood zones will only get bigger as Greenville grows because the primary reason for flooding is pavement and buildings. More pavement, more roofs means more flooding.

Which is also why using storm water money is appropriate. Less pavement, fewer roofs, more green space equals less storm water and less flooding, especially in an area so close to the river.

Also, they are moving the storm water dept., yes? Seems like an appropriate use of storm water funds to me, moving the dept.

I must say I chuckle a bit when people say they want all these great things the city does that they are so proud of and brag about, yet don't seem to want to pay for these great things.

This $hit ain't free.

Old 04-23-2016, 05:38 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,499,067 times
I think the money would be better spent if they added sidewalks to existing roads and or expanded public transportation to service ALL of Greenville County.

Until the government STOPs the geoengineering or spraying of cesium, aluminum, strontium and other toxic chemicals in the sky, I won't be fooled into supporting any expensive "environmental" related projects including more parks or bike trails to nowhere.

If they want to save the environment, they first have to stop poisoning the air with chemicals which both we and the plants depend on.

For gosh sakes, the other day we had an orange rated air quality alert!!!!! It isn't like Greenville is Atlanta or L.A. That shouldn't be happening where we are!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area